3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boot opinions???  (Read 999 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boot opinions???
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Just throwing this out there.  450.00 is about as cheap as you are gonna get a custom bow.  I think that is a great deal.  Yet when it comes to spending 30.00 on broadheads or 100.00 on arrows we back up and say wait that's too much!  Then we look at boots and try to go cheap on the most important part of our setup.  If you can't get there to hunt then you don't need the rest of the equipment.  I beleive that the only ones who can afford cheap equipment is rich folks cause it has to be replaced over and over again.  Now I have replaced alot of boots until I finally spent some money on the Lowa's and the Limmer's.  Ymmv.  I hope you find a pair that works for you.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Hatchchaser makes a great point.  Any backcountry type hunts depends on your feet.  Why skimp there.  I'm breaking in a new pair of boots now for fall.  I feel funny wearing big mountain hikers to work - but when Oct. rolls around - sweet!  H

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I am on my second pair of Meindl boots. The first pair lasted forever and had the best lace eyes -very rugged.

What I like about the Meindl is they offer a boot with a nice balance of height, non-insulated ruggedness without going to a full on mountaineering like boot (heavy). The gore-tex in both my pairs was excellent. Never a leak. Even after 5yrs.

The current model I hunt with is the one between the Perfect Hiker and the Alaskan boot and I think its a great boot, but the lace hooks are certainly a step down in quality and ruggedness.

If you hook one partially (like when half asleep in the pre-dawn camp) you will bend out the eye hook. For a 250.00+ boot thats unaccepatable IMO. I don't feel you should have to be careful how you lace a boot that is supposed to be top of the line rugged.

Its good points are very good leather, great torsional resistance and offered in wide sizes. They protect your ankles form rock bruises, and allow you to get into about 5 or 6 inches of water before it starts to top over the GTX.
I think its of value to look at the lighter less expensive boots as suggested. A few of them are a great value but there are some dogs in there amoung them! I know 350.00 and up boots are great too, but we all have to draw the line someplace.  I don't NEED a boot like that anymore. If I was in the woods 330 days a year it would be different...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
Love my shoes and boots unless they don't fit or wear well. The older I get, the more I spend on footwear.
i'm a bit unfortunate because I have narrow feet and most manufacturers do not make shoes and boots in a B or C width.
I've got an old pair of Browning Kangaroo Upland Game boots that I've had for 20+ years. Been resurfaced 3 times and still in VGC. I was a young shoe shine boy at the age of 11 and learned how to take care of my booys.
The last 2 pair that I purchased are from Russell Mocassin and at my age will probably never "HAVE TO" buy another pair.
I don't think you can go wrong with Russell if you do some research and find the right boot or shoe for your particular situation.
The "PROPER" boots on your feet, bow in your hand, quiver where you like it, and arrows on your shelf. Now that's enough to make a good man happy.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 01:27:00 AM »
asolo 520 or 535

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 03:13:00 AM »
i have 2 pairs of meindl's. they are the most rugged, dependable and comfortable boots i've ever worn. i have the makalu pro (8 years old and still going strong. resoled once) and antarktis (1 year old) models. they are worth the $1200 i have spent on the both of them. it's nice to be able to walk all day in the mountains and not think of your feet at all.

i worked last spring bear season with an outfitter in BC. meindl's are the standard boot there.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Meindl's again. GOOD boots. I have the grand Teton.    BILL

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
You guys with the Meindl's; did you get them online and are they true to size? I can't find any retailers with them except Cabela's and there isn't one of those close to me.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I have destroyed the cabelas mountain hunter, two pairs of meindl ibex and one pair of the meindl Alaskan hikers.

I finally said to heck with heavy boots whose soles or outers are too fragile and got a pair of mid merrell hikers.

They feel like a tennis shoe but give plenty of support for heavy loads and thus far after hunting Arizonas sharp and unforgiving rocks the soles are as good as new.  Also very much waterproof.

Lots of folks get wet feet not because the boots leak, but their pants get wet and they wick water into their socks, which is why I now always use the kennetrek gaiters.

Goodbluck
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
I found the Meindl's from Cabela's to be accurate in their sizing. The toe box seems a bit roomier than other boots I've worn, but I'm good with that. I wear a 10EE and was able to wear them comfortably out of the box.
Is it September yet?!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I bought my Meindls at Cabela's. I went there to buy the Denali series boot, but after spending sometime trying on them and the Perfekt Hiker, I went with the PH. The saleclerk commented afterwards that the guys that spend any amount of time trying on both boots usually go with the PH. It is a little lighter than the Denali. Cabela's website has the spec on each boot.

My foot measures right between a 11 and a 11.5 D I went with 11D in the PH and I can comfortably wear a liner with a medium weight or heavy weight wool sock. As Bowfiend said, the toebox is roomy. Having spent ALOT of money over the years on hunting boots, I would spend the money for the Perfekt Hikers again.
Good luck in your search,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Custom order Danner direct and get the wider size with the good old stiched on soles, when you wear them out Danner has a rebuild service and will replace everything including the goretex liner for a fraction of the cost of the boots. Then you have a "new" pair of boots that are already broken in!! You basically wouldn't need to buy another pair for potentially decades

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I'm going boot shopping today, and will now have lots of good opinions. Once again, TG proves to be a great site.   :thumbsup:

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
If its worth anything ive had good luck with Rocky and Wolverine boots in the past! I think that their sizing is dead on, and they are comfortable and they work for you! I just bought a pair of the "New" Wolverine Crowley 200gram 6" boots! Well made and light! Im in the process of breaking them in for spring turkey hunting, they go for bout $80 at major retailers.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Well dad and I have been Rocky nuts, and for good reason.  Dads last pair had lasted him upward close to 15 years   :scared:  , and my old pair is close to 10 years old, they were my brothers and I still use them to this day.  We both bought a new pair as his sole was almost gone, and my old pair was just not warm enough.  He got another pair, and his are awesome.  

My pair on the other hand are not awesome.  Actually they are terrible.  And we know why.  We were cheap, Rocky now has boots that are still made by gore tex like all the boots in the past, but they also have some that just say waterproof?  Mine are the Utility Max boots 1000 grams of insulation, and they are just "waterproof".  They lie, you need to get them in gore tex.  That is a must.  That and the rocks cut slits in the insides of both boots, from walking sideways on really steep rocky terrain, and I had the menonite lady, who owns a shoe business fix them for cheap.  And now they are better, but before, while walking in snow, my feet were getting soaked, I might as well have just worn socks because they were so wet.  So the moral of the story-GORE TEX, lol.  BTW dads are like new still, my "new boots" look like they were dragged behind a truck for a couple miles
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Yesterday I tried on several different brands/models and ended up with some Danner Expeditions.  They were really comfortable from the start, and yesterday I took a 4 mile hike in rocky, hilly terrain with them; so far, so good. Time will tell, but I'm encouraged as of now.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I REALLY like the Meindl Super Perfekt's.  But, I can't find a US retailer that sells them.

If anyone knows of anyone selling this model.....let me know.

jeff

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Centaur, Where did you find the Danners?
Did you actually come to town?

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
My preference over the years for serious hiking and hunting in steep terrain is Vasque.  Danners are comfortable but Vasque boots fit more snug around the foot, keeping it from sliding around in the boot on steep terrain.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Danner Pronghorns have met my needs for the last three years.  We have as much dirt here as rock, though.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©