3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF limb help  (Read 461 times)

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF limb help
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Looking for some limbs to go with a morrison mini14 ilf riser i just ordered.  I bought a set of skinned  morrison longbow limbs for it already.  Looking for some recurve limbs what are some of the best limbs out there that you guys would recommend  for hunting smoothness guietness and speed Thanks for your time.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF limb help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
How much money you got?

Sorry to be blunt, but the range of ILF limbs available in different materials, from different manufacturers is astonishing!

If you're after a generally good, tough, allround limb I can really, really recommend the Blac Maxx carbon/wood limbs from Lancaster Archery. Under $200 & fantastic value for money.
If speed & performance tickle your pickle, have a look at the new Formula F4 limbs from Hoyt. Mind you, you may need to sell your truck to buy a pair!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
A limb comparable to a carbon foam Morrison that I can get skinned that is equal to a set of Bobs limbs in performance.
2 shawnees skinned

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Why don't you just buy a set of Bob's limbs. Sounds like that is what you're looking for.

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Would like to try some others as well as bobs not dead set on his if there are some that are better performers.  And cheaper would be nice as well.
2 shawnees skinned

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
You can get better performing or you can get cheaper. Not both.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I asked somewhat of the same question awhile back.  What I found the highly recommended were the Black Max Carbon Core from TradTech.

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Unless you want to spend 2+ times as much, you will not find an all around better performing limb than the TradTech Black Max Carbon.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
I have a set of "older" Hoyt G3's "longs" coming in the mail... Got a great deal on them.  I hope they will work?, I really know nothing about ILF limbs. They were purchased as "back ups"  for a set of carbon/foam Skinned Morrison "D" recurve limbs on my mini-14. I plan on dressing them up a bit, with a set of limbsations adhesive "Diamondback Skins"

Thought's on how these will work? Can I expect good speed, smoothness, and reliability with these?

Gene    :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Gene, yes, yes & yes. The G3's are an excellent limb. You may end up preffering them to the Morrisons!

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Where is a good place to purchase border limbs
2 shawnees skinned

Offline Freeze

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a set of W&W Inno Powers on a Morrison Mini-14.
They are new to me, but they are very smooth and quite.  
I have not chronographed them so I cannot provide any real data on performance.  From what I have read, prior to purchase, they are supposed to be good performers.
I would recommend them.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Freeze

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Gene,

Those G3's are my personal favorite.  I've been using a set for hunting deer-sized critters for about three years.  

For a bargain right now, it may not hurt to check out Alternative.  They've got Sebastian Flute carbon's (made by W&W) for sale at around $128.00.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Depends on how heavy of arrow you plan on shooting and how much you want to spend.If you want to shoot light arrows really fast it cost more money for limbs.If you hunt with arrows above 10gns you don't get very much performance for a lot more money.Even if a set of limbs performs this percentage better than another as arrow weight goes up that percentage translates into less fps difference.Buying a $600 set of limbs that winds up shooting 3fps faster than a $100 set of limbs because you choose to shoot 12gn/lb arrows is a bit of a waste.Buying them to shoot 7gn/lb arrows and seeing 12-15fps difference might not be. :)  jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
What I am after is smooth quiet limb that will shoot a 9gpp arrow 180 to 190fps to keep trajectory similar to my other bows.   I think I am leaning to black max carbonwoods marked 55@28 what weight will they be on mini 14 medium limbs.
2 shawnees skinned

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I have a set of med BM carbons marked 50#@28" that are 55# on my mini14. I have checked speed and at 9gpp 185-187fps @ 26. Our ILF limb with carbon foam (A new carbon lay up)@ 26" average 192".5fps 198.5fps @ 28" ,all at 9 gpp... both limbs are mediums.

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Mr Bob if you are reffering to the cottonmouth skinned limbs that is why I was asking  could not remember if you said they were marked 50 or 55@28    Trying to get some arrows lined up to test when they and my mini you are building show up  should have just asked you earlier Thanks Will
2 shawnees skinned

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:
I have a set of med BM carbons marked 50#@28" that are 55# on my mini14. I have checked speed and at 9gpp 185-187fps @ 26. Our ILF limb with carbon foam (A new carbon lay up)@ 26" average 192".5fps 198.5fps @ 28" ,all at 9 gpp... both limbs are mediums.
That's interesting stuff.  Your limbs are GREAT performers but I think in all fairness if we are going to compare, we need to compare apples with apples.  First, we are comparing a carbon wood limb with a carbon foam limb.  Second, we are comparing a 220.00 limb with a 690.00 limb. one averages 186 fps, one averages 192 fps.  That's a difference of about 80.00 per FPS.

That's why I said when all things are considered, performance-vs-cost-vs-construction, in my opinion there is no value out there.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Lenny that is why I said what arrow you plan on useing should be takin in consideration as well.I tested a pair of Sabastion Flute glass/foam ($99 ON SALE)limbs against a pair of W&W WINEX ($660 at the time).Both were same length and weight and setup alike on the same riser using the same string.Using my hunting arrow that came out just over 12gns the Winex was 3fps faster.They wer also a lot louder and by the time extra silencers were added it was a couple feet slower.The same test with arrows in the 7gn range showed the winex 11fps faster and at close to 6gns 15fps faster.If a person plans on hunting with heavy arrows you might be looking over $100 per fps for very few fps difference in even the cheapest limbs. jmho

btw if targets wre my goal and useing light arrows was the way I was going the extra 15fps is a lot and it could justify the extra cost.Noise is not an issue shooting foam or paper either.  :)

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Just a note. Maple cores preformance is the same as Foam (foam a $30 option). Feel, sound, noise makes the foam a no brainer. If you have $300 to spend on limbs, You won't find many that are built in the USA. With the price of material, Federal Exize Tax and insurance you won't be in business long.. I can sell you a $220 Carbon limb. I can also sell you a $120 Fiberglass limb with about the same performance as the carbon. I just can't build them for that price.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©