3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stalking on all fours  (Read 379 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
stalking on all fours
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Hi,

a question for all you stalkers out there:

When you get down on all fours to stalk a critter,isnt it louder than stalking upright? I tried it several times but the more ground contact i have the moe noise i make. And also, by moving the bow forward with one hand etc. i think i create more movement to be seen than by going in a low but upright position.

Thoughts please!

Regads saumensch
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: stalking on all fours
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
i stalk hunt on two legs, not four.  

you do what you gotta do, depending on too many things your senses tell you at the moment yer hunting.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
I think it is generally quieter, except for when I put my hand on a cactus. It makes you go slow, and you have to pick your way carefully. The lower profile is beneficial, too. It can be useful in certain situations, but like Rob, I prefer to stay upright if possible.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
You will find the benefits of two-legged stalking, when you come eye to eye with copperhead while on all fours.  I hunt upright thank you....and use lots of patience.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Depends on the terrain I'm hunting,
 I've been on me belly doing the army crawl to slip on them Ol' longbeards.

I agree with centaur, it definetly slows you down.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
i have used both . i mostly depends on cover, terrain, conditions(wet/dry), and animal.  i use it on pigs at night alot
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Hogs and javelina will let you crawl in sight - they must believe they are seeing another similar critter. Knee pads for rock and thorns is a good plan in Texas.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Low grass and small brush chasing mulies leads to belly crawling at times.  If your making more noise on four then your moving to fast.  Slow it down.

I spend 95% of my time on two legs, and only get down on four when it is called for.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
When I was younger I've crawed to gobblers with my ghillie on.Back then I'd do just about anything to get my gobblers for the year.Once had a hen pecking a foot from my head.Wish now I'd grabbed her by the leg.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Crawling isn't a bad idea under the right circumstance, just don't forget the knee pads.

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm like Stiks-n-Strings in a open field I've crawled to get with in my bow range to turkeys and Ive been walking through a field a couple times in different fields when a deer comes out to feed and I hunch over our get on my knees and they come towards me trying to figure me out I'm talkin well within bow range one came in ready to fight so I stood up and stomped back when I think about it I soulda just got out my knife    :biglaugh:    I wish that would happen to me during deer season.   :jumper:
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I have, but I prefer two. In my stalking experience, if you hunch your back over horizontal and keep your arms in, your outline looks like a deer.  I've gotten away with alot using this method, but it is not for someone with a bad back.
TommyBoy

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I have probably spent more time on my belly and knees chasing speed goats than I have any other way.  I have had them almost run me over more than once.  Makes for a great day when the dominate buck chases two little ones right at you and all you can do is watch them get bigger and bigger.  The only problem is the cloud of dust when they throw on the brakes.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
When being seen is more of a risk than being heard, I crawl.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
I have belly crawled up on some nice mullies where there was no cover. If you go VERY VERY slow its amazing how close you can get! that is if the animals stay around. Sometimes you can but the bow on your back while you crawl.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Don't forget also that if you get on all fours and are spotted you look more like a natural predator as well.  I don't know how many people have spooked animals because of this but it just seems to reason.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I think 2 is better than 4 IF you have the cover.  No cover - you do what you gotta do.  Grass is easier than rocks or thorns.  Where I hunt there are only rocks, thorns, and snakes.  But to me its what hunting is all about.  H

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I have spent quite a bit of time on all fours chasing whitetails here.  I'll usually use the terrain to get as close as possible then crawl to get stickbow close.  I usually prefer some wind when doing this.  Without it the grass is usually too noisy.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Sometimes, its the best thing to do.  In 25 yrs. of hunting whitetail, Iam guessing the 4 leg crawl was in order 1/2 doz. times.  3ft. grass, and patience can get you in close.  I once got into group of six Bucks-one of them was beautiful 10pt,  I got to w/in 15yds--missed the 10pt-  But --Intense, 45min crawl on a razors edge-- allows you to experience the keeness of your predatory instincts at a far deeper level than most hunting situations.  I'do it every chance I got, even if chances getting an arrow in one was slim--It really is about the JOURNEY.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Tweezers hanging on a string around your neck will come in real handy.  H

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©