3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's Good For The Goose.....is.  (Read 379 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
What's Good For The Goose.....is.
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Good for the Gander....or so they say.  So with that in mind, I thought I would try footing a few of my aluminums......with aluminum.  I found a few 2215 GG shafts that fit perfectly over the 2016.

I cut two inches of the 2215 and super glued over the end of the 2016.  Since I've only shot them into my target so far, I can't speak to what they may do to keep the bends at bay, just behind the insert....where most bends come on solid hits.  I'll do some stumping as soon as the snow gets a little more shallow in the back woods 8^).

The two inches of 2215 adds about 23 grains, just FYI, and in shooting seemed to make just an inch or so difference (lower) than normal field points alone, when shot from about 35 yards from the target.  

Online Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's Good For The Goose.....is.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Good tip(no pun intended). I'll have to give that a try.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to the day I can see a 1" difference at 35yds.  I have to go out and practice some more.  :notworthy:
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
elknutz,  I'm not that good either, but I can get a quick gist of what a group of arrows are doing at that distance rather quickly, since that is the distance I shoot my first arrows everyday.  The difference in impact from 125 grain field points, to the field points with the collar glued on, is a matter of just inches.  When shot at fifteen yards, for instance they pretty much group together.

Offline gordie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
hello george, what kind of glue you using?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
George,

Are you getting the techie bug here or what?    ;-)  I just footed some carbons with brass on one dozen and aluminum on another in 600 spine for the wifes bow.  

Let us know how your arrows stand up with the footing.  I would love to switch back to aluminum arrows for the cost savings
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
George, footing aluminum? Well I have some 2117 with carbon shaft pieces glued in behind the insert. Inside the shaft, that is. Work real well!

So now instead of bending behind the insert, they'll bend behind the footing?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
gordie, I used super glue liquid.  It bonds quickly and holds well.  I looked at the several bent aluminums I have and all but one were bent just a little behind the insert, so we'll see what comes out of it.  I'm only doing it with my stump arrows, not the hunting arrows since I don't want any interference with critter penetration.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
That's A Great Idea George! I'll foot some of my 2016's for The Muzzy Stump Shoot this August.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Ill stick with carbon .... its straight or broke... no in between.  Great idea for those wanting to add weight and foc though. (standard techie comment)
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
It's straight, or broke....or maybe crushed on the side and not noticed.  Nothing is infallible my friend.  My experience with three different carbons was, "mostly split on the ends" upon hard contact, including Goldtip Traditionals, Carbon Express Wolverines, and Vapor Carbonwoods.
   :readit:  
None of them withstood stump shooting any better than my aluminums.  The aluminums that bend, can be straightened very easily, and they cost a third as much. I love it....carbons are so tough, yet people are buying aluminum shafts to foot them.  That's funny right there.  
   :saywhat:

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
George, I always seem to get good info from your posts and even though this is an “out in left field” question it is kinda related, so here goes. If I foot some woodies (5/16”) with 2117 footings like you did (superglue them on), and then try to use them in a 3-D shoot, have you ever heard of anyone getting any grief from the 3-D rules over that?  My 5/16” are shooting a little stiff, I shoot RH, so the footer would give me a little more weight to weaken spine a little (that’s good), and provide support behind the point too. The 3-D rules say I must use woodies for the event I want to shoot in, but any ideas about the aluminum footer? Sorry if my question should go in the shooters forum, but you always seem to have insight into trad bow things, and I thought I’d ask, thanks!

:help:

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
JEJ, I'm really out of touch with 3D rules, and find some clubs have their own rules about equipment.  I rarely compete anymore (don't keep a score card) so I'm out of the loop.  Some of the rules I've heard of border on the goofy side, but I suppose you have to abide by whatever each club goes by.  I'm used to the old NFAA standards which did not forbid different arrow types in the bowhunter classes.

Perhaps someone here can explain the governing body of 3D and its rules system.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Wonder what I would foot a 2117 with? Jason

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
A true Crusty Curmudgeon would point out how he has been shooting 2016's since they called them 1008's and ain't never had a problem with 'em bending so there ain't no reason to foot no dang aluminum arrow with no dang piece of some other aluminum arrow...    :D
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Only the stumpin' ones Molson.  By the way, I love your beer 8^).

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks  George, good idea. I'll try to contact the president of the club that is putting on the shoot and run this by him to get the club rules before I foot all my woodies.

:readit:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Quote "If I foot some woodies (5/16”) with 2117 footings like you did (superglue them on), and then try to use them in a 3-D shoot, have you ever heard of anyone getting any grief from the 3-D rules over that? My 5/16” are shooting a little stiff, I shoot RH, so the footer would give me a little more weight to weaken spine a little (that’s good), and provide support behind the point too."

jej,would'nt footing your wood shafts make them stiffer? I would think at best the weight and the footing itself would offset each other?

I am new to this but?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
To ease getting your arrow out of whatever, I've found it helps to grind a rear bevel
on the footing stub...now unfortunately, that's only a single-bevel   ;)
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Coaster 500, what you say makes sense. George said about 2” of 2215 adds (only) 23 gr., so the “extra” weight of the 2117 footer might be offset by some increased “stiffness” (resistance to flexing in arrow paradox) that the 2117 footer itself would contribute. (might be “which came first … chicken or the egg” question on this little footer addition). Coaster, thanks for making me think through this a little more.    :confused:  

I guess the take away to this is using George’s idea I may get an arrow I can’t use at a 3-D shoot. I will get a woody, however, that I can use stump shooting and for back yard targets that has mucho better strength right where I need it on these 5/16” … right behind the point.

George, I have dug up some old, bent 2117s ready to fly once more this weekend as they hitchhike on some POC!

:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©