3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lots of questions  (Read 189 times)

Offline BIRD DOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
lots of questions
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
I am new to the sport of traditional shooting so please bear with me. Let me start by saying I grew up shooting a compound right handed but have always been left eye dominant and never the best of shots. 2 years ago I picked up a bad case of tp and never could shake it. I am a die hard bow hunter but after wounding several animals and recovering many days after I decided something had to go. I just recently talked with a highly accomplished trad shooter from this site who gave me a lot of advice on traditional shooting. Being that I am left eye dominant I decided to start shooting left handed and I bought a hoyt game master with a 45 pound draw. I am actually shooting alot better than expected but with turkey season coming up I have to purchase arrows and broad heads. The arrows I have been shooting are old and I have no idea about weight and length nor do I have any idea what size head I should be using. The field point I have been using is 145 grain. The way I have been shooting is putting 3 fingers a couple inches below the arrow which allows my eye to look strait down the arrow shaft. So far its working but any advice on technique will be appreciated and taken seriously.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
First off, welcome. You're shooting 3-under which I've never done. Others will help there. Your draw dimensions; draw length and bow specs will help in selecting proper arrows, etc. Huge resource pool in the archives. IMO, LH will be advantageous.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Wellcome I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
Back to the top.

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Here are a couple questions back to you:

1) What type of arrow are you wanting to get? Wood, Aluminum, or Carbon?

2) You are shooting a Game Master.  What is your draw length?  This helps when selecting an arrow size.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
the best advice you will receive is to find a knowledgeable local trad archer to help you with your shooting and your tackle.  you bring up many questions that will be both difficult to answer and collectively confusing to you via the typed word.

always start with the basics and eye dominance is the first step - it appears you have that part of the puzzle somewhat solved.  shooting form and tackle come next.  there are basics to learn about both that will be crucial to your success, and the length of time to become consistently accurate.  hunting skills are another issue.

it won't hurt you to read this ...

trad archery newbies
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by BIRD DOWN:
 I just recently talked with a highly accomplished trad shooter from this site who gave me a lot of advice on traditional shooting.  
Best bet would be to have the person you talked to help.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline BIRD DOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I ordered some carbon shafts that are 500 grains that I will play with. I really hope this is not too much arrow. I do not know my exact draw length but a guess would be 29 or 30 on a 28 in bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©