3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Fishing set up  (Read 911 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Fishing set up
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I know it's a long way to a warmer day but I would like to see some of your bow fishing set ups.

My daughter still lives on Clearlake and it has a huge karp population. I hope to try it from a Kayak this year but I need to set a bow up.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Fishing set up
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Get an AMS Retriever and a set of Safety Slides, for me they're mandatory equipment - especially the safety slides.  I've been bowfishing for 19 years and I wouldn't trade my oldRetriever for anything.  I'd say it's 18 years old by now and still going strong.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Big_Al, What bow do you use and how did you attach the AMS to your bow.

Thanks
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Maybe this will help Kip.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline knd2970

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Here is a pic of my sons set up and mine. On his I used Riser inserts ( I regret it now). In the pic of mine I used the ams trad mount. Works great on my Bear Super Mag

Turkey Creek Longbow 48# 28"
Bear Super Mag 50#
Bear Grizzly 50#
Bear Kodiak Mag 65#

“True Old-School Woodsmanship!”

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I like the idea of not drilling. That ams trad mount is slick.

knd2970, that looks like a pretty good day of fishing !!

Thanks guys

Kip

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
I have a AMS on a PSE Yote.  The bow has all the hole pre-drilled.  I also use a roller rest, the only down side it is slightly on the heavy side.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Keep it coming guys - some link to videos - Looks like I will be doing this in florida and texas.

Gotta see what I am getting into.

JB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
I need to get the AMS. I just have the hand reel that came with my PSE Kingfisher bowfishing kit.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
I really like the ams trad mount as I can use one of the longbows I all ready own. I just don't know how well they will work from a Kayak. I am going to have to really cant the bow alot. You sit real low to the water. I have never tried to shoot a bow from one.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Hey Ryan nice halibut maaaaaannnthat would be tough with a bow - pretty deep water bud.

tee hee

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
hey Jerry, it's tough enough with a rod and reel  :)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Sal, does that open face reel get tangled easy?

Offline knd2970

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »
Just to for-warn you if you use your longbow, make sure it is a bow that you don't care if it gets scratched or dropped in the water...It will happen
Turkey Creek Longbow 48# 28"
Bear Super Mag 50#
Bear Grizzly 50#
Bear Kodiak Mag 65#

“True Old-School Woodsmanship!”

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
I haven't used it yet. I know others that have used them and never heard anything bad. if You reel it to tight I would think it would get tangled. The paper work did say that you should first get the string wet, then reel it up. I'll be using it to see how it works this week end So I'll let you know.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »
Thanks Sal

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Hey Ryan if you got one of those big alaskan halibuts you may need a bigger boat bud  :bigsmyl:  

There are some brutes up here. i think you could bowfish the flounders here though. they are only in about 3-6 feet of water.

Put you would need to be in a boat (like you said) that was higher so the angle would be better.

JB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
Ryan,
the reel worked just fine. I had no problems.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »

Carp Vader from Jim Belcher. Wave Roller rest. Bow and set-up worked great last year, especially at the Great Lakes Bowfishing Championship.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
i've done some heavy customising and come up with a big game fishing setup. for sharks i use a garpoon point on a solid glass shaft. i've made an adapter on the point to accept a glue on broad head.

i use a homemade cable slide system so if this happens i'm still connected to whatever broke it.

on the bow i have a homemade bracket to attach a handline. i incorporated a snap on air fitting for quick detach if needed.

for normal bowfishing i just use the handline setup with IGFA 130# dacron trolling line and AMS slides on the arrow.

for sharks i use just 20 yards of the 130# line to shoot with. the back end of this is tied to my game rod which sits in my gimbal belt while shooting with the drag set light. after the shot i just let them take the line off the spool on the bow, take up pressure on the rod, engage the drag fully and hang on!

works a treat! 8'2" tiger shark

7' 3 3/4" hammerhead

i have used a spincast reel for fish also but i sold it after getting tired of losing arrows because of forgetting to push the button.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©