3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Fishing set up  (Read 910 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Fishing set up
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Now that's too cool Ozy.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline oneeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Wow Ozy!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
cant top the shark, lol.  But I have not seen my set up posted yet, and I dont actually have a picture of just my set up, however in this photo you can see it

it is a rhino reel(didnt want to buy a zebco, and didnt have one), and a trad reel aluminum holder.  Works great, I dont use braided bowfishing line, just 50 pound mono.  But I am going to switch to probably 100 pound braided regular fishing line because of its pure strength.  You would be suprised the tourcher that mono can handle, I have had the stinkin reel jam in mid flight once, and the line will just stretch vs the bowfishing line that snaps sometimes.  I want a AMS bad though . . .

the glasses are my most important tool  :cool:  without them I can not see nearly as well.  They are not traditional but the polorized sunglass most definatly cut down on glare
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
p.s I think my carp could eat that shark  :knothead:
~Chris Shelton

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Recurve + Bear reel + fishing arrow with slide set up from 3 rivers + nice day = CARP!!!!

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Yeah, can't wait for the weather to warm and the suckers to run!

That's the neat thing about bowfishing, you can go simple or as elaborate as you want. I have a Bear tape-on, my first, AMS, and a Zebco 88, all work good.

If your into spawning carp, the AMS gets the nod! Quick shots and retrieves, makes this reel superior. Also, if shootin in deep water, or a light poundage bow, the AMS has the least drag and will let you shoot pretty true.

Even a coffe can or 20 oz pop bottle can be used.
My best advice, is put the money in a good arrow set-up, slide or cable, and good pair of Polarized glasses!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I see that AMS has two models.  What's the difference between the Standard and Pro versions??

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I was wondering that myself . . .
~Chris Shelton

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I highly recommend the AMS reels. I started using an old tape on model and then a screw in bear model.  I used to shoot off 1-5 arrows an outing. Those were the cheap 4.00 arrows and for a kid got expensive fast. The wind would blow and tangle teh line behind the reel. Even if you were careful you would still have problems. I think the slide systems nowdays may help with that problem.

I saved my money bought an AMS and have never shot an arrow off.  I have taken thousands of shots and never had the string hang up. I like not having to worry about snap back as much anymore.

The arrow I have shot over the past 10 years has a cable down the side. But I think I am going to get one with a slide instead. Just seems safer.

Oh yeah I get more shots from the AMS because it is fast slick and efficient.  I had one piece break on mine and I just ordered a replacement part from the Factory in WI. Since i lived close by I had it within a couple days.

Spend the 100 bucks on proper equipment, it'll last forever unless you shoot a shark. LOL!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
AMS Retriever with the strap-on adapter, on a 52# 58" Grizzly...very easy to change bows this way if you want to...

On Miss Faith Black Mountain....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Holly!!@*&^%&^ ozy clint, I don't think I could wrestle one of those giants into my kayak!! I live in what called blood alley on the coast of California. If you come and visit I think I can put you on a Great White  :)   I’ll watch from the beach  :)

I played with a couple of my spinning reels with some spectra, but they hung up a couple of times. That's not a good thing with an arrow on the other end  :(

I think I'm going to order the "AMS Retriever with the strap-on adapter"....I looked in town for an inexpensive open face but could not find one,,,,Soooooo, it's only money  :(
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Kip, Its only money but, these things last forever plus you loose less equipment.

I have had to cut fishing days short because my friends have lost all their arrows and all my "spare" arrows as well.  Since they couldn't manage to pull back my bow and they were getting bored I usually upsettingly left the water on perfect days to appease them.  Its frustrating.  

Spend the money, it'll come back to you ten fold in many ways you couldn't even think of.

:thumbsup:   best of Luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Here's my rig.....Zebco 888 spooled with Muzzy 150# Tournament line, fitted to my Morrison ILF.
I shoot the Innerlock 3-barb grapple arrows.

I switched to a Zebco 888 last year after having endless trouble with the AMS I'd had for a few years. The handle jammed up, then the rubber wheel somehow became offset (???) finally it stopped spooling line into the bottle, it just dumped it all in a big tangle by my feet. I replaced parts, adjusted, cleaned & lubed everything & nothing short of full replacement would fix the durned thing.
Since going to the Zebco, I've also stopped using the safety slides. Having the line attatched directly to the back of the arrow prevents you from forgetting to press the button  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
GURU- u da man!!!  

Say any of you guys eat these carp???
~Chris Shelton

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I use the large plastic spools. I first started out by mounting a fishin reel on my grizzly. Open the bail and sometimes it would unspool. I got hold of an old Fref Bear bowfishin package for trad bows. I had no idea it was a collectors item then. It was old and came with other components for mounting on a recurve. I still have it. The only prob with that one was you had to have a lot of line on it so it would peel off when shot. If you didn't the line would hang up on the line holder and snap. That spool is set up for a lot of line. I use that when I go far out into the Gulf fishing and snag big ocean fish, barracuda, spadefish, the laws changed and I can't get tripletail anymore. I must have lost a handful of arrows before I put a lot of line on it.. I then tried the $90 retrevier from Bass pro and it didn't work for me. Worked okay for very very short distances. On inland water ways and coastal I have to sneek up on fish and get them from far away, except for flounder. The spools are the easiest for me to wind up too. I have nothing but probs trying to post pictures on this forum so sorry.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Robtatoo, just remember sometimes when you hear that click from pressing the button, stuff inside don't click like its supposed too  :eek:  Thats the only reason I don't shoot them anymore. I used to shoot with the arrow tied on the back but there have been to many BAD accidents from that. Good luck and be safe!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Hi !
First - think again shooting from a kayak. I use a canoe mostly and even it is sometimes bit unstable, when the going gets ruff with fish. And you are so near of the surface, that its more difficult to see beneath the surface. Just visioning one tangled with kayak upside down, line all over and a mad fish in the end of a arrow  :scared:  
I use a longbow too and have used a AMS for years. And me too have had my share of problems with my AMS - just like robtattoo wrote.
Enyway this thread really makes me wish spring would come quickly !!!
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
What do you shoot in Finland?
Lucas Kent

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Robtatoo, just remember sometimes when you hear that click from pressing the button, stuff inside don't click like its supposed too   :eek:   Thats the only reason I don't shoot them anymore. I used to shoot with the arrow tied on the back but there have been to many BAD accidents from that. Good luck and be safe!
That's why I stopped using the slides. You press the button & the pins don't disengange. You can still draw the arrow & you don't realise the pins are still engaged until the line snaps & you lose your arrow! With the line tied to the back of the shaft, you can't actually draw the bow unless the reel is set. I am constantly aware of the possibility of back-snap.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I've been partial to the AMS Retrievers ever since I bought my first one, which I still use, in the early 90s. The standard retriever is great for carp, while the slotted retriever works better for large fish.

For the standard retriever, I like to replace the bottle so it holds more line. You never know when you may have to reach out and ruin a carp's day.   ;)  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©