3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting glove like Howard Hill & Jerry Hill  (Read 483 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting glove like Howard Hill & Jerry Hill
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
There are alot of well made Hill style gloves on the market today. But they are not true as to how my personal and uncle Howard's glove was made or should I say modified. Our gloves were prepared whereby the extreme tips of the stalls were opened up enough to enable our fingertips to extend out slightly. This within itself allowed us to be able to feel our proper anchor point, or chosen anchor tooth. When one thinks about it the way gloves are normally made, you have a given thickness of leather that can throw an archers anchor point out of true alignment. Also this modification can help with proper string release. We both prefered tips to have inserts in them of whale bone (baleen), thin gauge spring steel, or a good grade of thin nylon.Good shooting-Jerry Hill.....................

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting glove like Howard Hill & Jerry Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry ... i've tried numerous times to use a stiffer Hill style glove . after a concerted effort to get use to them  recently i came to realise there merit for a good clean release .
where do you get yours now ?
Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Jerry thanks for the post.. I too have tried a number of Hill style gloves I'm still looking for a good one..
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I shoot a Super Glove that is so worn out my fingers are sticking out the ends, I now know why I like it so much, because Im geting a solid anchor. PS I love shooting my Hills
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Jerry,

I fully agree. The inserts in particular are SO important for a great release. Most guys cant shoot a Hill glove because doing so requires proper string finger "attitude". They torque the string and resort to a tab.
Stagmitis

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
I'd like to see how the baleen or other is arranged in the glove to facilitate shooting. Do you have a drawing or pics? Thanks
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Where and why were the inserts of baleen used in the gloves?  I've heard of it but I'm trying to figure out if they were used to prevent grooving just on the string side for a smoother release or a better anchor or what.  How is it installed?  I'm just trying to understand so I might try it.  Save for the baleen, I bet I'd have a tough time finding it.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
TTT for clarification. What can you tell us Jerry? Thanks.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Is this what you guys are discussing?

Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline outdooru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Check out the glove made by E.W. Bateman. Tried many others but this is the best I have found. Same glove that Byron Ferguson uses.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting, Holy #@%*, What a ride!

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
They seem too stiff!!!!!  Wish I could use one but they just seem too stiff and the finger stalls constantly have to be pushed back on my fingers.

justin
Hill

Offline rpembert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
Here is what I did to my glove per Mr. Hill advice. I tell you what, it really helps to "feel" your anchor point. All I did was to snip off the ends and apply super glue to the cut ends. Works Great!

Thanks,
Joshua

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I like the Hill style gloves but I can't keep them in place.  When I release an arrow the finger stalls will come off slightly and I have to readjust them.

I have also tried the Deluxe Hill glove and right off the bat I knew it would take a VERY LONG time to get it broken in where I would be comfortable with it.  I sold it soon after.

I might try one of the basic Hill gloves and see how that works.  If I could get one that stays in place it would be my PERFECT glove, which I am still searching for.

Nalajr

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Nala, look close at Josh's picture and do what he did, this is what I'm talking about(thanks Josh). You may also put a little pine rosin on the inside of the tips in order to hold them in place and keep them from slipping off. Also you may want to order a sewing al from TANDY THE LEATHER FACTORY, and put in a couple of extra stitches where you think they are needed to tighten them up and give you a custom fit. I have done this many times when changing gloves over the years.Jerry Hill...............

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Nala, One more thing I failed to mention. Once you have your glove tips modified, check the backstrap running from the wrist strap to the finger stalls. It should be fairley snug across the back of your hand, when you close your fingers as if holding the bowstring.If not you will need to take a razorblade and cut the stitching and shorten the length. You can use plyobond rubber glue to glue it in place and once the glue is dry, you can re-sew the backhand strap to the wrisk strap. This will also complete the process of having a custom fitted glove. Once you do all this, never let anyone else wear your glove.Jerry Hill................

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Thats some great advice Jerry, Thanks. How about a lead for buying pine resin, I have never seen it in the stores. Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Nala said,

"I might try one of the basic Hill gloves and see how that works. If I could get one that stays in place it would be my PERFECT glove, which I am still searching for.

Here is another tip assuming you have a pretty good fit to begin with. Melt pure beeswax and allow it to drip heavily into the stalls. Insert your finger while still hot and you will get a chinese finger cuff effect giving you the perfect fit.
Stagmitis

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Chuck, I think that's the same rosin they put on baseball bats - might try a sporting goods store.

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
You know, sometimes you can't see the forest thru the trees. Thanks Mr.Neal (I way over thought that one)
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Another idea is to take a full finger glove and cut the finger tips out of it. There is no back and forth slippage this way. I have done this for years and first learned of it from Bill Leslie. After you cut it is best to turn it inside out and re sew the ends to keep it from coming unraveled.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©