3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stand Jitters! (Pics Added Page 3)  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stand Jitters! (Pics Added Page 3)
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm very comfortable in that style stand now, but I wouldn't put a beginner in one. A climber that goes all the way around you would make you feel safer, and you actually would be. They are not as easy to shoot from, but it can be done.

Treestands, like any gear worth having, require practice to become technically proficient.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Kevin: Running a back up strap is a good idea. I'll see if I can find a metal buckle and some nylon strapping and make a second strap for the lower portion.   :thumbsup:  

Bear: I can't afford one of those types of stands right now. I got this one for $50.00 and it has never been used. I will be trying it out and see if I can get used to it over the spring/summer before using it in the field.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I've been hunting more and more on the ground. I'm scared of heights. I do hunt from stands when I feel it's necessary. Years ago in NY,I killed 4 deer in four years from a stand that was 8 feet high.I rarely hang my stands above 12 feet and always wear a safety harness.
I always pick a tree that has a good sized branch near the seat. It makes me feel more secure.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
get a chain and "S" link rated for 300#. set the chain first then the 2 strapes.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Sal, can that be locked somehow to prevent theft? Should probably do that too.   :D  Didn't think of it 'til you mentioned the chain.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
most of my stands are a minimum of 15 feet if not 20 due to the very steepness of the terrain I hunt. If I only put some of them at 15th I end up  looking in their eye as they passme on the uphill trail!!  That being said I use 2 back up rachet straps per stand AND A safty line all the way up.  I Still get a little nervous the first few times every season, but i have never knock on wood had a close call personaly.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Use the strap that came with it only to hang it in position long enough to put 2 ratchet type straps on it!!!!  I repeat DO NOT USE the strap that came with it to secure it to the tree for hunting purposes!!!!!  I've never really used a tree stand until I moved here to IN.  Having permission to hunt several hundred acres but only 3 acres being woods and the rest being corn or soy bean fields I had no choice but to buy a tree stand.  I put my stand about 10yds into the woods from the crop field and 32' up the tree.  I know it's high but the area I hunt has a lot of pressure and in the late season when the leaves are down the deer in the field can pick you off pretty easily.  I ALWAYS use the supplied strap to hang my stand and then I use 2 camo ratchet straps I got at Walmart to secure it to the tree.  I painted the ratchet parts OD green to cover the shiny parts and I crank them down tight and loop and tie the extra strap so it doesn't flop in the wind.  When I got my first stand and tested it in the yard to learn how to use it.  I used the supplied strap and tried to sit in the stand about 5' off the ground when I felt my a$$bone hit my neckbone!!!!  I have a rivers edge and a big dog, both are cheap stands but work well if you get some ratchet straps to secure them!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
Sal, can that be locked somehow to prevent theft? Should probably do that too.    :D   Didn't think of it 'til you mentioned the chain.
Yes, You can just use a lock with the chain. Tomorrow I'll take a pic of my hang on stand that has a chain on it. and How I attach the 2 ratchet straps.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
((Use the strap that came with it only to hang it in position long enough to put 2 ratchet type straps on it!!!! I repeat DO NOT USE the strap that came with it to secure it to the tree for hunting purposes!!!!!)) Kenneth is right!  And believe me Squirrels for some reason love straps around their tree. NOT.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
yeah, two ratchet straps are a must!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I have 3 ratchet straps somewhere in my utility room. I'll dig around for them tomorrow.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I've just been using the one strap provided. But you guys are right, think I'll add a backup.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
i use 3 straps and ill only go 12 feet

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
I would also learn to shoot sitting down. You will feel much more stable doing so v.s. standing up on that little platform.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
try mounting it about 2 feet off the ground and then just step up onto it and stand and sit on it, move around on it and stand on the edges of it and get used to the sensation of being on the platform. Also, practice sitting and standing up, as well as mounting the stand to the tree,and taking it down.
Then , when you mount it way up in a tree, it's not your first time doing it and you will be more comfortable doing it.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
When i hang my lock-on treestands i always put a extra strap on the top and on the bottom.  Theres no way that stand is going to fall when you put these extra straps on the tree stand.

I have never used one of those ropes you that you hook yourself up to at the bottom of the tree but if you do that theres no way you can fall.

Im 42 yrs old and can still climb like a spider monkey but im sure when i get older i will be using one of those ropes.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Great advice from Smallwood.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Yep Smallwood's advice is great!  Familiarize yourself with it in your yard just a couple feet off the ground and work your way up a little and get comfortable using it.  Also what Mr. Vic said about the squirrels; always check your straps before climbing into the stand.  The squirrels chewed up my seat cushion, my pull-up rope, and one of my straps this year.  Luckily it was after the season when I went to take the stand down.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I think four straps are a must.  Sometimes five, depending on things.   And duct tape too.
ChuckC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Note: this tree leans and wouldn't be a good tree for a stand, Also very lose bark.

The first thing I do is hook the chain and push down on the stand to make sure it is set in place. The chain should be on a angle from stand going up about 45deg's give or take.

Next I place the top strap,(just for these pix I did it quickly and showing to ways of hooking strap)I normally take the strap over the other side so that the strap is pulling stand in to the tree. Just like the bottom half of the strap is, You can hook them either way.

Last I hook the bottom strap on. See how it is hooked to hold the platform in place and NOT on the bars. this Helps to keep it from moving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©