3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stand Jitters! (Pics Added Page 3)  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Tree Stand Jitters! (Pics Added Page 3)
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I have a tree in my yard that I'm going to use to mount the stand a couple of feet off the ground as smallwood stated. The only problem is is the tree is in the front yard and my shooting area is in the back. I can't shoot in my front yard but, I will practice drawing and aiming the bow to get used to maneuverability.

Again, thanks for all the advice and directions here. Everyone's suggestions and opinions mean something to me.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Wannabe1, check out my last post on Page 4

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Sal, that's exactly what I was looking for in directions!   :thumbsup:  Very much appreciate that. Going to give it a whirl this weekend and will let you know how it comes out. I've got to get a safety harness to go along with my stand before I go any higher than a couple of feet. Any particular brand that is above the rest?

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I just got that same stand as you wannabe. I was planing on trying it out for the late season blacktails. Good post lots of info for sure!
Levi Bedortha

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Have you had an opportunity to set it up yet? Interested to know what you think of the stand. This will be my first year using a stand and I want to learn as much as possible to eliminate any mishaps. What part of Oregon are you from?

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I like to use two rachet strps for hanging a stand. Very Quick and Very secure. Watch for squirrel damage though.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
get a spray bottle and make a mix of 1 part hot sauce to 4 parts water. it should be slightly pink in color... Spray the webing down really good. Let dry.. tree rats won't touch it.

As for safety harness, Hunters safety vest is the best out there right now.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks again Sal. I just got off the phone with my local sports shop, and they suggested the Hunters Safety Vest also. They have it for $140.00 so, gotta figure out a way to come up with that kind of money. It's worth it as you can't put a price on safety when you have a family to think of!    :D

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I have never used a tree stand before also, but thought I would give it a try. I have set it up at about 20 feet up I did not do the tie downs like in Sal’s pictures but will do that for sure when I have it up for hunting! The harness it comes with is not very comfortable and with thicker clothes on during late season I am planning on figuring out something more comfortable for the harness.
Shooting from it was not really an issue and didn’t seem to have any affect other then if you do not shoot at angles then you need to practice that.

I am south of you in Springfield
Levi Bedortha

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Here is something I do with My stand. I'll find a tree that has lots of brush around it. I'll set the stand so just my head is over the top of the brush so I can see the trail. Once I see game coming I can stand and get a good shot at the trail.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
You'll get the hang of it. before Ya know it you'll be falling asleep up there. Just takes a little getting use to.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Ive been arrowing deer all my LIFE with seat at 8ft.  (Mostly I hunt on the ground anyway.)
 8ft. may not be high enough for your situation.  Try it for a few days, if its not working out for you, back out and wait a week.--than go higher. If it were me Id be inclined to just figure out where there coming from and set up at another spot--likely theres a place with in 100yds, thats just as good, that does not require this high altitude hunting.--which creates such severe shooting angles,--fish in the barrel effective, definitly dimishes the whole experience anyway.IMO

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Smallwood:
try mounting it about 2 feet off the ground and then just step up onto it and stand and sit on it, move around on it and stand on the edges of it and get used to the sensation of being on the platform. Also, practice sitting and standing up, as well as mounting the stand to the tree,and taking it down.
Then , when you mount it way up in a tree, it's not your first time doing it and you will be more comfortable doing it.
This is the perfect time to test and begin to make adjustments to your safety Harness. The line from the harness to tree should be taut when sitting. I can feel a slight upward pull when my line is set correctly.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
My brother and I use a  pulley attached to a ratchet strap for lifting stands. We set the pulley/strap about 2 feet above where we want it.
Pull the stand up pulley tie a quick knot on the pull line and you can then set the stand.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Chuck, I may not have to go as high as 20' but, the trees are thick with branches and I need to be able to see. The problem with setting up where they are coming in from is that there is no way to tell. These black tail deer don't seem to follow the same trails and there are tracks criss crossing in every direction.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
get a spray bottle and make a mix of 1 part hot sauce to 4 parts water. it should be slightly pink in color... Spray the webing down really good. Let dry.. tree rats won't touch it.

As for safety harness, Hunters safety vest is the best out there right now.
mystic, Great idea for keeping the squirrels away!  I'm gonna try that this year.  

I also agree with the Hunters Safety System vest, it may be a little heavier than some but it's very easy to use, comfortable, and safe.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Had a friend that had treerats getting in to his house from the sofet (sp) over hang from roof. Anyway, I made some spray up and sprayed all around the hold to help keep them out till he got the wood to fix it. Since it worked there I tried it on the webing straps and it worked.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I may put some on my shed to.  Them little $#^&%! drug a bunch of pinecones in and chewed up a bunch of my stuff!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I'll definitely spray my straps down also. We have tree buggers here that will do the same. Good recipe for warding off evil!    :biglaugh:

Offline DGEsposito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
When I need to use my climber I always use a harness years ago when baker tree stands first hit the market if anyone owned one knows . You took put your life in jeopardy they were made of plywood and aluminum and you didn't get a harness.You could climb a tree by hugging it and lifting your legs until desired height. when caught in freezing rain the platform would be icey before you got out and you could not shift your weight from one foot to the other without the stand shifting with  the movement.I shot many deer with that stand but you were at least off the ground that was a big thing those days otherwise you had to build one that someone else could be sitting in when you got there unless you owned the property or hunted from the groung.You could just get comfortable in the tree when it would chatter down about 2-3 feet scaring you to near death. well these Days I get a good piece of climbing rope tie a running boland around the tree attach my climber to the tree ,cilp into a rock climbing saddle w a prussik hitch and a caribiner I slide the hitch up ahead of me and advance the rope so I am fully tied in the whole way up does n't matter how high i go and when i reach my height I can lean off the stand in all directions. When I leave i can just slide the prussik down as I dessend and have the option to leave the climbing rope up in the tree or take it out.I have had 2 hip surgerys on the same hip in two years so I don't need a fall I had a few balance issues at first now I could dance in the stand without a worry if i fall I can slide out using the prussik and leave the stand up in the tree. I was a tree climber before the hip surgery but at 54 and two surgeries I left the trees for the younger guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©