3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: snake boots - chaps - camo gear for texas  (Read 587 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: snake boots - chaps - camo gear for texas
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
Jeff my attitude is fine - can't wait to meet some of you and see your state.

Just want to make it the best I can. if i can avoid some discomfort then i will try, but it won't stop me from coming for sure.

Jer

Offline Cane Knife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 02:15:00 AM »
Check out Bushlan camo for Texas or Hawaii.  Made specifically to match vegetation in those states.

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:
Oh yeah, almost forgot, get ahold of some Sevin dust or other dust pesticide for vegetables...when you kill your hog or javie and get your pictures done dust him down good, let him lay a half hour then kick him around in a circle...the fleas, ticks, chiggers and hog lice will rain off him.  Makes skinning a nicer chore.

R
What about the Sevin residue getting on the meat when you start skinning?
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
BFinegan, that's why I use dust made for vegetables.  You're careful you won't get it on the meat, wash the meat if unsure.  I guarantee the bananas or lettuce you get at the supermarket have more pesticide residue than that pig meat will have (pig hide is thicker than banana hide).  Also keeps away the Rocky mountain spotted fever, or whatever crazy tick diseases they have in TX.

R

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Wald:
Jeff my attitude is fine - can't wait to meet some of you and see your state.

Just want to make it the best I can. if i can avoid some discomfort then i will try, but it won't stop me from coming for sure.

Jer
Sounds good! I look forward to your posts when you report back to us. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Best of luck!

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
thanks Jeff maybe we will meet on my trip. I want to meet as many of the gang as I can.

JB

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Guys,

I live in Round Rock outside of Austin, used to live in South Texas. Every year I get some Baby Rattlers under my deck. Or, I find one in my yard or my neighbor's yard. I have come across them in the bush as well. Here is the deal; I never got close to one that I didn't want to. They are pretty easy to spot and avoid. Cactus is a bigger deal then snakes. Chaps are freaking hot. Just get some cheap plastic "snake" protector shin guards and you are good. Get some tough leather gloves, no deer skin. Get something to handle the brush, Mesquite needles, and cactus. You know what really sucks? Fire Ants and the dang 9 inch long Centipedes. Those suckers bite!

Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
please take snake boots and chaps. it will save on alot of grief  :pray:

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I wouldn't chance it not wearing snake boots plus they absorb all the cactus and briar damage...Danner 18" GTX Pronghorns are my faves. I have never come across a rattler in 18 years of TX hunting but I don't go sticking my hands into logs or under rocks either. You are far more likely to end up full of prickly pear and cholla spines, or get chiggers/ticks on you. Wear cotton camo and bring an insulated top for cool mornings and plenty of water if it's hot. I always tuck my pants in my boots and spray them with Off near the tops. I spray my waistline too underneath clothing and wear a belt. I always get a few scattered bites, and they aren't that bad, seriously itchy but you'll live. I don't hug the hog or deer I've shot, which has proved effective.

I'd wear the boots bring some pump spray insect repellent and toss in a pair of leather work gloves and some good quality tweezers in your hunting pack.

Welcome to TX, bro.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Well Alex maybe you and some others can show me the ropes.

I plan on wearing some good boots and these pants(Turtleskin Snake armour hunting pants) if you think that will do it.

I plan on tucking everything in and spraying down all my clothing with permithrin.

Not so worried about the snakes grew up with them in Kamloops bc and they generally don't want anything to do with us.

the ticks i lived with too...just checked each other out after a romp in the sage brush.

Jiggers are the only thing I haven't encountered so far.I OZ there were frogs that are deadly - jellyfish - myriad of deadly snakes - spiders - snails that were deadly you name it.

I survived that and only saw a few dozen red backs and two browns and a tiger snake when I was fishing by the river.

Anyway I will post my travel plans when I get about 3 weeks out so last week in april.

If I can fit your schedule i would love to meet some of you for sure.

My travels will be glacier national park - to whitefish and then east to Blue mounds - then around the lake to kitchener - then south to calhoun ga to see terry then to milton.

from there i am open but want to stay south and be heading west as much as possible ok

I can take some day trips (thats 300 miles and under for me).

Thanks again for all you help and concern and I head your concerns trust me. Best experience is someone elses I know that much.

jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©