3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing previous bow owner's name??  (Read 329 times)

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing previous bow owner's name??
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I got a graybark black widow recently and the previous owner's name is on it. was wondering how i could remove it without scuffing up the bow to bad or any other suggestions on covering  it up with a sticker or something else maybe? thanks

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing previous bow owner's name??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Is under glass or just the finish?
If it just under the finish sand it off and just refinish it.
If it is under glass find a nice sticker and place it over the name.

Offline cedarshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I also own a Black Widow that was made for a friend of mine. BW can remove the name for a charge. It doesn't matter to me whose name is on it; it still shoots as well either way, and I have no problem when someone comments on the name. Enjoy the bow.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I think you should keep the name on it. It gives it character and can help with it's history. I have one I got from a friend and I call it "BILBOW BAGGINS" his name was Bill, natch.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Just my opinion, but I consider the name to be part of the bows history. Having someone's name on the bow other than my own is no problem to me. I've gone so far as to track down a previous owner(TG is a big help in this regard)just to let them know I have their bow and to ask questions about age, woods, etc. The previous owners have always been willing to answer questions and I've always had positive conversations. On one occasion a TG member indicated that he should have never sold that particular bow and asked that I contact him if I ever decided to sell it. This is a great way to meet other traditional archers and to establish long lasting relationships.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
I used to have that problem with skis..... People kept calling me "Rental".... dang that was wierd.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Personally I would keep the name and add mine under it and start a historic time line of the bow.So when you sell it the next guy can add his name and 50yrs from now it will have a documented history and a lot of character.IMO   :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
You could steel wool it off and shoot a coat of spar varnish over the smoothed area to match the finish. Black Widow used to sell stickers to cover the previous owner's name. I don't know if they still do.
Bernie

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I just ordered a new bow.....and I'm sending my current bow in, so that he can match the new limbs to the old riser...and the new riser to the old limbs.

As a favor, he's going to change the inscription on the old riser....for nothing.

I have no issues with the old name on there.....but if I can get it done for free (while my bow's already gonna be in his hands), I'll do it.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Black Widow does have a nice little "spider" sticker made to cover up a PO's name.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I just got a 'NEW TO ME" Toelke re curve and called the builder and was informed that he puts the name over the glass and then sprays the name w/ krylon. All I had to do,per his directions, was to lightly rub w. a acetone wetted q=tip. Was super easy and came out perfect. I don't know if other builders do it this way but sure is nice.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I would keep the other guys name on it. But I would remove "custom made for" and change it to "stolen from".

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
kill shot - now that was was a good one.  Really made me laugh.  Woodie4life has the right idea, the name is just under the finish.  When the name is gone, just tape the area off and shoot a little finish back on it.  No problem at all - but personally I'd take kill shot's suggestion   :)
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by kill shot:
I would keep the other guys name on it. But I would remove "custom made for" and change it to "stolen from".
That's too funny, I love it.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Bob W - I know what you mean.  I used to have some custom golf balls like that. People used to call me RANGE all the time.  Never could figure it out. LOL.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
I think its pretty funny that we have all these "custom" bows made with our names put on them- as if we might actually keep them forever.

Like the guy with his best gals name tatooed on his arm, then crossed out with his "new" gal right under it.

Joshua, still new enough to think his next bow will be his last.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
i just removed the previous owner's name off my classifieds acquired charlie lamb sunbear longbow.  

what i did FIRST was to contact charlie to see just where in his finishing process he inked in the name.  turns out it was well after the main coats of finish were applied, so it only took some 220 grit abrasive paper to remove the ink.

after it cured, i buffed it up with 600 grit, sprayed on a few light coats of polyu, and buffed that out to closely match the degree of 'shine' on the rest of the limb.  you'd never know that some ink was removed from the limb.

lesson learned - if a name must go on yer new whizbang stikbow, ask the bowyer to ink it in on top of the last finish coat, then mask off the inked area and lightly clear overspray just that area.  

;)      :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I like the idea of adding your name to the bow also, just think 15yrs from now how many names could be on one bow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
If the final coating of finish is not too thick over it they can be removed without even noticing it.  However if it is rather thick, as one I done recently, The date had to come off also because I could see a little dip in the finish after removing the name.  I tape off the areas to be protected with a few layers of good shipping tape and use the finest steel wool you can find.  You better be prepared to spend an hour sanding.  After it is off I use an automotive buffing compound, then swirl remover.  If it is too shiny at that point, very lightly wipe the steel wool over it with no pressure to dull it up to match the adjacent finish.  Ive also put a little white string wax on to dull it and blend with the existing.  This is not a permanent fix though.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
What Rob said.  If the Widow has the standard, non-glossy finish, it isn't hard to nix the name at all. If it's high gloss it's a little harder to match the existing finish. I've done at least ten bows, two or three being Widows.  Typically, the name is just under the top-coat(s) on most bows.
   On a Widow I'd start w/ 220 black automotive paper, wet.  When you see that you're starting to remove lettering, go to 400. On the standard Widow finish, satin poly matches it real well. You will likely be able to feather it in so that no buffing is required.  Done correctly, you'd never know there was a name on the bow or that part of the limb has new finish.     :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©