3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IT is almost over :(  (Read 531 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
IT is almost over :(
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Well guys tommorrow is the day, ticks me off, but the darn snow has crushed my Feb, which is usually my go get em time for rabbits.  Only got one this season   "[dntthnk]"   , and last season I got 7   :eek:  , o well.  Tommorrow is the end of squirrels and rabbit season.  And on the 6th is the end of goose, and then nothing untill the middle of april, 3d dont start untill last week in March, groundhogs dont come out untill it warms up   :mad:  , o geeze, just venting.  Anyone else bummed?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: IT is almost over :(
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I can feel your pain, Chris, altho you guys have had far more snow that most of us this year.  I just returned from a week of Texas Pig Giggin', so I'm not feeling too bad.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Feel lucky that you still have a decent rabbit population.  My folks have a 350 acre farm, and finding a rabbit is good as gold.  We don't dare shoot them, in hopes the population will grow like it used to be in the past.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
oo I need to start thinking spring turkey, and mabye tie some fly's or something so I dont go crazy, lol
~Chris Shelton

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
In MN its open till Feb. 28! Two more days, but i had fun roving with a 68" 50# @28 selfbow i made last summer! It was my first bow and i love small game hunting and i had a good season! I ended up with 13 rabbits and 6 grouse, and many lost and damaged arrows! Tried a dozen Sitka Spruce arrows, fletched em fluflu style and tipped with judos! Ive had bbq'd rabbit, rabbit stew, creamed rabbit over toast, as well as roasted grouse, and a special grouse soup:) So you could say im bummed a bit, but i got tuned in with the new bow and may use it for deer!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
hmm, I feel stupid now, I didnt even look, but ours is open till sunday too but we are not allowed to hunt them on sundays???  WTF is up with that???
~Chris Shelton

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
i think i killed my target...im due for a new one anyway.trout season will bring some relief.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Read you loud and clear. Had plans to take the little guy out for rabbits the week of the big snow(s). They even extended rabbit season this year to the end of Feb.

If I'm not mistaken, you can shoot snow geese until April 6 or so, with the fed extension.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Crows? Coyotes? Varmints? NOTHING?!?    :scared:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Chris, I like you waited until Feb to target rabbits and was buried with snow this Feb.  The groundhogs will start to stir in the spring but in the meantime I've been greasing fishing reels, changing line, and doing two painting projects on the honey do list.

Going to a fishing flea market tomorrow so some fun in the offing.

If you get real bored give me a PM some nice day and come over and shoot my little 3-D course.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
This year that rabbits were tough for me. I hunt rabbits more in febuary that any other mounth but like you it snowed alot. I think we are about 150% of normal and more tomorrow. I did get some great skiing in but that just makes my girls happy. Even my secret bunny spot only had a few there when normaly has hundreds. Between all the gun hunters and a large poputlation of birds of pray they were thined quick this year.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Darn, come on down to San Antonio, I know there is a warm up 3d shoot at Canyon Lake just north of here on the 6th of March.

You guys have had your share of white stuff.

Mike  :bigsmyl:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
the rabbits are still there.  I few good beagles & you will see them.  Mike
Big Mike

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Chris, at least you can pull your bow. My shoulder is still healing, but getting stronger. Hopefully I can start pulling in a couple weeks. I missed all of Jan. and Feb.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Well too many, better than missing September and October  :readit: , no really I feel you.  Hopefully you can get at it strong.

Reddodge, I didnt really wait, just usually Febuary they seem to be everywhere???  But I did get one on the second day WAY back in November, and that was it. . . I am kinda far right now to shoot with ya, but in the near future I am gona transfer to Towson!!!

Big Mike, I dont think they are there, they are under the snow!  There are no tracks, and no holes, except for the one right out back.  The thickets are still to this day under snow completely.  SUCKS, lol   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
~Chris Shelton

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shooty1:
Read you loud and clear. Had plans to take the little guy out for rabbits the week of the big snow(s). They even extended rabbit season this year to the end of Feb.

If I'm not mistaken, you can shoot snow geese until April 6 or so, with the fed extension.
You guys seem to be exactly a year behind our laws???  I heard that your state was pushing for crossbows during the entire bow season, and that was put into effect last year along with the extended rabbit season.

I was pleasantly suprised to realize that our canada goose season was extended untill the 6th of march, we dont really have snows this far west unfortunaly but a heafty pop of resident geese!  Need to get at them!!!
~Chris Shelton

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Maybe someone can harp in.There is a state out west that has open season on rabbits year round.Info please.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Red Squirrels--No open season ???  Not the best eat'n ( leave a little hair on em, for best results) BUT they are alot of fun to hunt- they chatter at you, and hide behind a limb, but if you wait them out, they can't stand it, and just have to come out and have a look at you. I find thier antics halarious- laughing just adds to the challenge of putting a good shot on them.  Another bonus, is that unlike arrowing Fox squirrels, the kills are clean--often launching them 10-15ft. out of the tree. Kind of like getting hit by a 100mph telephone pole--Its clean.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
no we dont really have true red squirrels.  We have piney squirrels, which are smaller, can ya beleive that!  But there safe the same time the grays are . . .
~Chris Shelton

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I believe Arizona's cottontail season is year round. We can hunt jacks year round in Wyo.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©