3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too many deer....need advice  (Read 440 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too many deer....need advice
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
You need stiffer shafts so they can handle grenade tips  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
It must be tough to have your problem. Feed the needy. It sounds like you already have you evenings planed for next year.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
mickeys4, who are the people standing with all those deer at the top of the photo?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline recurve27128

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Heres a little advice, you will not find those deer concentrations at any other time of the year except cold weather, you need to realize you may be drawing the deer from a long, long distance. My guess you got the only groceries the deer can approach in an undisturbed manor. The crop rotation for next year will likely be beans and next winter you may have zero deer this time . I have one farm that is truly feast or famine based on rotation. Average guy would not believe but a fact indeed. Also the change from november to january is the same way. I added my 2 cents because on year you have good hunting the next maybe zero!Dave
dave brown

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
No idea.I got this picture off Pixdaus.com.The deer don't seem too concerned with them.Also notice despite the harsh weather they sure are fat.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
You might want to consider stand placements in the woods, over trails leading to and from the field. In the evenings, deer will sometimes move toward fields, but not move out into them until dark.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Invite me up there   :goldtooth:  Can you go on Google Satellite of the property and post a picture here?

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
my brother-in-law has a place like you described.As recurve27128 say's,A crop rotation usually changes things.When I hunt up there when there is corn the deer are thick as fleas.When there is soy beans there is not so many.Afternoon hunts are the best.

Offline Icandraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Thats like having too much fun or too much money! I wish I had that problem!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Thanks for everyone for there advice. I think Biggie's was the best....."bring lots of arrows!".
Also, for all those thinking "bombs" might to the trick, this tactic has already been accompished!
Just picture a 5 gallon bucket packed with  a few sticks of TNT, nuts, bolts, washers, and small rocks, buried under a cull pile of carrots!
Not what I would call ethical, however, you can hardly blame the farmer, b/c he told me he lost over $50,000 last year to deer.
Hopefully, I can do better this season.

chris <><

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
The truth is, the situation in parts of Michigan isn't a joking matter.

There's way too many deer in some parts and I believe Michigan is the only state with a both a CWD and TB rating. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Michigan is always in the top 2 or 3 for deer/auto accidents too.

Large parts of southern Michigan needs the herds reduced by 30-50%.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Can YA send some down here to PA. I can send ya some Turkeys we have lot's of them but no deer.   :help:

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
So...at this point here is my plan:
First: I plan on doing more scouting this winter, then throughout the summer I will place stands.
Second: I am going to talk to the grower about applying for deer damage permits.
Third: I am going to take plenty of arrows (thanks again Biggie)! All tipped with razor sharp WW.
Fourth: I am going to follow the many blood trials!!

chris <><

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I would charge wildly into the middle of the swale on horseback, dressed like an indian with a spear and bow yelling war cries and shooting arrows in every direction. But make sure the wind is in your favor or that might not work.   :thumbsup:
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
You guys crack me up!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©