3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MOAB vs Thunderstick III  (Read 182 times)

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
MOAB vs Thunderstick III
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
How different do these bows really shoot?  I've got an order in that should be coming up in the next month or so, and I need to figure out what I'm getting.  My order was originally for a TSIII, but all the recent MOAB talk has me lusting a bit for one.  

Any of you fellas shot both of these bows?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MOAB vs Thunderstick III
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
I have had both.  If you like real long bows go for a TS III.  I like 60-62" bows and love the MOAB.  I have had a couple TS III.  The 66" was just too long for me, but a great shooter.  The 62" I had was not as nice as the MOAB because the TS III has a longer riser so not as nice on the draw for over 29".  The MOAB is a harder hitting bow I think.  I don't know what it is, but I shoot the MOAB better and like the perforce.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Forgot to mention that I have a 30" draw, if that makes a difference.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
I'd try to talk him into making me a 64" MOAB.  :goldtooth:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I have a 29 1/4-29 1/2" depending on the bow.  A 60" MOAB is not problem.  A 62" is very nice at 29-30".  I know Jim builds the 62, but I am not sure about longer ones.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that 62' is the maximum for the MOAB. I also think at 62' it will handle your long draw.
 If you have any doubts you might find one that you can shoot just to satisfy your own mind.

If you'll pay the postage both ways, I'll let you borrow mine.

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
You can get a 66 inch MOAB if you want it. He doesn't advertise them but he does make them because I had one that I should have kept.
  I have owned both bows. They were both 66 inchers. I think I liked the MOAB better. I think it shot a bit harder. I shot the TSIII about as good as any longbow I ever touched but it was a heavier weight bow and I needed to reduce some weight as I got older.
  I like the MOAB better all in all. That's my two cents. Both are great bows though. jwingman

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I have a 60 and a 62" MOAB, 57# and 52# respectively. Both are hard hitting sweet shooting bows. My wifew shoots a 413 III, and I can tell you I can pick that bow up and shoot some tight groups with it. With the lighter weight I think my form is better, but I really like that 41# bow. If she decides to hunt with her recurve, I might just have to kill a deer with her bow.
My son shoots a Mag, which I also like. Really. you cant go wrong with any of Jim's bows.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Mudd!  Very generous of you.  I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©