3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kustom King German Mountain pine shafting  (Read 493 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Kustom King German Mountain pine shafting
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I was looking thru my new Kustom King catalog and I saw they have some new "German Mountain pine shafting" for arrow making.  I tried a search here and didn't turn up anything.  Has anybody tried them yet?  If so, what did ya think?  Is this the "chundoo" we used to get?  Thanks for your time.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Kustom King German Mountain pine shafting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
good question - who's gonna be the bold and daring tester to order out a dozen?   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Not yet, but I might, the price is right. Cant be any weaker than cedar, if there good round shafts I'll try them, nothin' more irritating than a egg shaped shaft.

Nope its not Chundoo

Eric

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
aw geez, now i gotta go order out some  :D   test report forthcoming in a week or so ....

just got in a dozen braveheart surewood fir shafts that are REALLY REALLY NICE.

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
Shot the mountain pine, they are lightweight(about 10 % lighter than cedar)inconsistend in spine and weight and are not very durable.
Most european archers who shoot wood arrows buy in the US.
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
I saw the price to and you can't find to many prices that low.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
not yet on the kk website, just in their print catalog.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
"Cant be any weaker than cedar,"

Cedar, my friend, is not weak...it is one of the strongest arrow shafts available, if you keep things relative...strength to weight for archery use.  Cedar is still available and has been used over a hundred years, so I would suggest that it's still here for a good reason.  I still have half a dozen, of a dozen I made up five years ago, and they still shoot well.

I don't know why the pine wouldn't work as long as it is consistent from shaft to shaft; resinous soft woods seem to make better shaft material than most hardwoods....at least easier to work with.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
"Cedar, my friend, is not weak...it is one of the strongest arrow shafts available..."

Stronger than what?

Fir...Nope
Spruce...Nope
Lodgepole Pine...Nope

Yes, it does make a great arrow just not very durable. It is popular because forever thats all there was readily available in wood arrows. Cheap to process because its already dead, usually already down, so it doesnt have to be dried, goes straight from the forest to the shaft mill. Just happened to make a pretty good arrow too.

Eric

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I can't understand where some say that cedar is not durable.  What are you trying to do with them, knock down walls?  I have shot cedar for over 15 years and have found that they are as durable as I would expect any wood to be when I do my part behind the arrow.  Aluminum bends and/or snaps and carbonies crack and/or shatter.  An arrow is meant to hit what you are aiming at, I think cedar does this as well as any.  Keep shooting the other stuff, that will leave more cedar for me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
kk is already outta stock of the german pine, new shipment due in a month or so.

i agree with eric.  i love everything about cedar shafts but their consistent lack of overall strength/durability, and lower weight (for a hunting arrow).  perhaps that durability issue was why they were so often footed.  i've found ash, birch, larch, fir, poplar, and other woods are just tougher for a hunting or roving arrow

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
It must be a wood that is foreign and that must reflect the price! I spotted this shaft in the catalog earlier this week and called em bout it! They will have them available in bout 4 weeks! I usually try a new type of shafting by making them into fluflu's, if they can survive my stump shooting sessions then they are worthy! I'll test em if the regime here wants me to!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
The company that makes the shafts is Bearpaw. I had a friend pick me up some of their field points. I really like them. They screw into the point and theres no tapering. You just cut the shaft straight off and crimp the edge of the shaft and slide the shaft into the point. When the shaft gets down inside, turn the shaft and it locks in place.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I was just wondering if anybody has tried them now and what they think of them?
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
I don't have any trouble with my POC. Hap

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
True story, the first year I tried shooting trad, I of course shot cedars.  I broke them on stumps, rocks, target frames, glancing shots on saplings, you name it.  Looking for a stronger shaft I tried maples from Silent Pond and them things seemed about bullet proof but at my 32" draw weighed about 800 grains and past 20 yards really dropped.  Shot them for about two or three seasons then tried cedars again and suddenly my cedars were just as strong as my maples for some reason.  Shot all year and maybe broke one arrow.  I couldn't figure it out.  Plus, after shooting the heavy maples the cedars looked like they were wicked fast in comparison and of course cedar stays straight better than about anything I've tried to date especially the hardwoods like maple, ash and hickory.  So

So what was the deal with the cedars being bad the first time and great the second?  Eventually I figured it out... I was simply hitting the target instead of trees, rocks etc. like I did my first year.  As for weight, at my long draw cedar gives me about exactly the weight I want but I understand that people with draws 28 and under often come up lighter than they want.

This year I'm trying some Douglas Fir and they are real nice but a lot heavier than cedar.  Still lighter than maple so maybe they'll be reasonably fast AND hit like a freight train eh?

As for the German Pine shafts, I have no idea.  My guess would be something like chundoo or norway pine but that's only a guess.  The one time I tried chundoo I was VERY disappointed.  Crooked as heck and grain runout all over the place but maybe I got a bad batch.

Let us know what you think if you try them out.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
It's hard for me to complain about cedars, I have some shafts that are 15 years old and I still shoot them on a regular basis! I like Cedar!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
I shoot wood only-about half Cedar and half Fir. Both are great and that German Pine would havta' be greater still to get my attention.
Personally I am only interested in top quality shafting and won't compromise for price, the arrow is as important as the bow.

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by SuperK:
I was just wondering if anybody has tried them now and what they think of them?
X2.  Noticed they're still $22.95/dz at Kustom King and was wondering if anyone has tried them yet and can give us a review.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©