3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let me get your thoughts on  (Read 853 times)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Let me get your thoughts on
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
something I've been thinking on for 5 years.  What would you prefer for your hunting option?
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let me get your thoughts on
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
I voted for other because where I live it's possible to own and live on my own hunting land.  I am not in this situation yet but fortunatly I was always able to walk right out the door to 2500 acres of hunting land that was mostly public but noone knew about it.  Then, unfortunatly the paper company reclaimed the land and began to lease it.(not to us).  Luckily though the people that own the 120 acre farm between us and the lease have always allowed us to hunt so we still have access to hunting land right outside the back door.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I would rather live on 30 to 50 acres so i can walk out the door and start hunting right away.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
My problem is, I hate being in debt.. so I'm not! I would rather hunt state land and save my money and take a hunt in another state or buy more hunting goodies. HA! There are literaly thousand's of acres of state land for the roaming and not many people hunt during bow season. I drove through the the state ground close to home around the middle of bow season and counted like 3 or 4 camp's on probably a 25 mile round trip. That's purdy much nobody and alot of ground to cover!! Jason

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I chose other because I also walk out my back door to 26 acres.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I'm very very lucky.  I know many local land owners that give me the honor to hunt their land at no cost.  They all know my commitment to hunt with honor and care for their land as if it were my own. My favorite place is several hundered acres within 3 miles of my home.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I can walk out my back door and hunt 30 acres. Also drive less than 2 miles for more or 15 miles for some very "limited access" private ground and 40 miles to my owned by my brother "honeyhole"...  Having private ground to bowhunt is a blessing.

I would like to own my own section and manage for quality deer.  Food, limited access, herd balance and TIME are needed for trophy deer...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Own land and live on it would be a good option.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
I would like to have my own that I could invite whoever I want and put a little hunting lodge there to take my family and friends just to get away sometimes...

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Other.  

It depends on what I am hunting.  I live on 10 acres but I'm surrounded by a few hundred acres of neighbors ag and wood land.  So if it is whitetails(here in MN) I walk out the back door but I love elk hunting and travel almost every year to a western state to hunt in the mountains.  If it wasn't for all my family here in MN I would retire to someplace in the Rockies.

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
I voted other.

Nearly 100% of the land I hunt is within 30 minutes - so I am spoiled in that regards and wouldn't get out as much for "quick" hunts if the land was over an hour away.

Tim

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I've been very lucky....I bought 11 acres around 10 years ago and live on it and hunt it. The best part is none of my neighbors hunt so I have sole access to an additional 75 acres that border my property. This has been one of the best investments I've ever made and the deer hunting is excellent.
I also have a house in the Pocono Mountains with  access out the back door to a 15K acre State Game Land but the deer hunting there is not so hot so why drive 2 hours. I'm fortunate enough to have access to all of it but, if I could only have one, it would be hunting out of the back door where I reside because I could spend my time hunting instead of driving.
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
If I had to pay to hunt I would stop hunting. I have always lived on land I could hunt or that I could hunt because it was mine.

I could not afford to lease for hunting or pay for hunting rights.

Reparrow man
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
If you own you own land,it's like being married to it. There's a lot of self satisfaction in it and a lot of responsibility. I just sold a tract[2007] I had owned for 20 years to secure my retirement and be able to take the hunts I have dreamed about. We have just [in the last 3 years] come out of the Golden Age of Real Estate and the best investment may be " Cash and Canned Goods" Also, if you you can drive less than 1 hour you will go more often. My farm was 40 minutes from my office and I would often go morning and afternoon and still get in a good days work. If you are young and can hold the land for 10-15 years until the political climate changes, which it must before the the economic climate changes, go for it! Good Luck! Dang, I may need a disclaimer on this! Charles

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
I chose other as well. Own and live on 20 acres surrounded by hundreds of acres of oak hammock, swamp and agriculture. Front door to any one stand is about 4 minutes :-)
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I should give some more rationale for the choices.  Due to work and family obligations I need to live in the city.  It is a drive to just to clear the urban sprawl.  I live on a 3/4 acre lot but subburbanites would call the police even if I shot my bow let alone hunt (not that I would that small of a piece).  State land in Southern Michigan is pounded even during bow season.  I can afford to lease closer but not buy the prices are still inflated with owners hoping to sell for city development.  There are more farms down here so the hunting is better.  I can afford to own further away but the hunting wont be as good less agriculture and rougher winters.  Hunt state land (heavy pressure and lots of people who think they own it and dont respect anything) but go on hunts to great areas every few years.  I have around 18 more years until I can leave the city and retire to a place I can live on and hunt on. Thanks for your thoughts.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
I am living on the very spot I want to be. My cabin needs to be my 'old cabin'. But I have shot deer on my property; and I can walk to state land and federal lands. I can drive or walk to within a couple of miles of the divide ( into Montana) after the snow melts.
 I have killed elk here; and bears; and muledeer and whitetail deer... and although the wolves are hammering our 'game animals' - there is a wolf season.
 I like it right here- as is.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm in a good position. Walk out my back door and hunt the 170 acres my family has. I also have private land 3 hrs away that is lots better hunting. About 800 acres. Thought about buying some more but thought I would rather have the money to hunt out of state.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I am fortunate as I live on a farm and live in farm country. I can walk out my door and hunt anytime. I also have access to other farms very close so I don't usually travel more than a couple miles at the most to hunt.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I would love to have about 50 acres within a couple hours of Houston, but I'm still looking.  My family has a farm up in Kansas, about 300 acres, that I have hunted since I was a little guy.  Lots of deer, quail, turkeys, etc, but it is a 9 1/2 hour drive for me. I usually get up there for a 3-4 day hunt every year, but it seems to put a lot of pressure on me to get a kill.  Kind of takes the fun out of the experience, when you know that you have a very short time there- like every day is the last day of the hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©