3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig Gig week 3 (more snow)  (Read 1912 times)

Online cecilm

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig Gig week 3 (more snow)
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Geat story thanks for sharing...truly enjoyed it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
That's about as cool as it gets, Rob!  Looking forward to hearing more in Nashville.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
I'll take luck any day over skill, way to go!!   :thumbsup:   great story and pic's   :clapper:
Larry

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »
Great job Rob! Congrats on the  double hog shot! and what a story you have told!  thanks
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 04:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the beautyful pics and the nice story.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
Superb photography, and well-done on the pigs!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Great story and pics. I really need to hunt hogs some day; looks like great fun!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Way to go, fantastic adventure.
hunt it

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Great story and super pictures! I hope there is more to come.  Bob

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
After loading up the hogs in the truck we headed back to the main camp where the skinning shed and meat cooler were located. We got my hogs skinned and the innards removed then hung them in the cooler. By now there were a total of 11 pigs hanging. Still hoping some of the other bowhunters will pop in and tell their stories. Day 3 was coming to a close. It had been one awesome day in the field, one I won't forget.

Day 4 arrived cloudy and windy. The plan was to check on all the bait and freshen them up for the evenings hunt. There had been very few pigs seen during the morning hunts. We opted to use the morning hours to scout and try our luck at some still hunting. We knew where there were several groups of hogs, but they were most likely the same hogs that would be coming to our bait sites in the evenings so we made the decision early in the hunt to leave them alone so as not to run them out of the area.

The morning came and went with no hogs spotted. Thanks to gale force winds we figured the pigs were holding tight in the thickets spots they could find. Back at camp we enjoyed some friendly competition shooting at milk jugs, coke bottles and a shotgun shell. If memory serves me Bo was the dead in the group. After lunch we headed back out to the hunting area, specifically Stone House to get a group shot.

from left to right:
my smiling mug, Ron Tandy (Fla.), Bo Slaughter (Va.), Buddy Slaughter (Va.) and Bill Terry (Conn.)

What a bunch!

This is a shot of the blood trail. It was pretty cloudy so it's a little hard to see. O' and that dead pig at the end, that's Ron....

I didn't really mention much about the blood trail, but I can't ever remember having such a massive trail to follow. The hog was spraying from both sides. From what it looked like to me each time it's front legs wold hit the ground blood would gush out both sides leaving a trail that I could see 25 - 30 yards ahead of me. When we gutted those hogs there was very little blood left in them.

We took a little time before the afternoon hunt to read all the historic signs posted at Stone House.  Here is another pic of the gang.

After touring the house and out buildings it was time to head into out stands for the evening hunt. Bill had a close call the evening before with the rodeo pigs so he was headed back to another corral to the east. Ron hadn't had much luck on the bait he had been sitting so he decided he would give the Stone House a try. Move right in on me didn't he. Not a problem, I actually offered up my spot since I had broken ice and wanted to share the wealth.  Bo was headed back down to the river where we had built a ground blind earlier in the day hoping to catch several nice big red hogs that he had seen. Buddy was going to keep at his location since he was seeing pigs on every sit. That left the rest wide open.

I decided to try the site across from Stone House. It was really going to be up to the wind where I finally ended up. I got Bo to drop me off just past the cattle guard. I shouldered my pack and headed off up the ridge towards the spot where I had had the close encounter with "Whitey" the first evening. There was a lot of hog sign in this area and Buddy had seen several nice ones from this stand.  

I positioned myself beside a large pile of bulldozed brush since the wind at the moment was not good for the bait site which was situated down in the draw.  I sat there for a few hours and burned through a few chapters in Barry's new book. Great read by they way, if you don't have a copy it's a must for every bowhunters library.

It was around 4:30, I had just tucked the book back in my pack when I heard a commotion behind me. Across the ridge about 200 yards above me a single coyote crossed. As soon as he was out of sight he let out a yelp then they all started. I don't care how many times I hear coyotes howling, it stirs something up inside each time. Maybe if I lived out west where I could hear them on a regular basis it wouldn't be so special, but coming from the east coast I don't get to hear them so this is a treat for me.

As the afternoon wore on the wind had switched up a little so I decided to slip on down into the draw. The wind was not perfect but not bad. I climbed over the thorns and stickers into the ground blind then hunkered down till dark. With the wind still blowing steady I felt any movement would come in the last minutes of daylight.

Round about 6:30 a spell of Déjà vu hit me. If you have even been black bear hunting you know just how quiet they can be, almost ghost like. I was scanning the area looking down the numerous trails that led to the bait when out of no where appeared a huge black hog. I mean one second there was an empty trail the next it was standing there looking right at me. I froze hoping it hadn't seen me turn my head.

The hog was maybe 50 to 60 yards out at this point and just standing there like a statue. For what seemed like an hour it didn't move. Then finally it crossed the trail moving down into the bottom. I knew exactly what it was doing, it was working around to get the wind in it's favor so it could check out the bait before coming in. Smart little rascal!  I could catch brief glimpses of this black hog as it worked through the thicket. I pulled out my puffer bottle and checked the wind real quick. If it didn't swirl on me I might be able to avoid detection.

When blacky got directly opposite the bait from me he locked up and started with the loud grunts. I couldn't see him at this point but I could hear him sucking in air testing the wind. He wasn't to be fooled, he must have caught a whiff of something he didn't like. Probably me, and he took off up the opposite side of the draw. I could hear him grunting all the way up the draw. He sounded pissed. I think I spoiled his free meal.

By now the sun had dropped blow the horizon and it was getting darker by the minute so I gathered up my gear, slipped my arrow back in the quiver and made my way back up to the top of the ridge. Day 4 provided yet another encounter with Texas hogs. I must say I think I am addicted to this hog hunting. I could see the headlights on the vehicle coming down the road, we were all in a hurry to get back to camp and change. Tonight was Thursday night and that meant dinner at the Bee Hive a restaurant in Albany that does an all you can eat shrimp night.

Dinner was great! Got to listen to stories from Gene & Barry, ate way more shrimp than I should have and even downed a few cold Corona's. Life is good. Good friends, food and hog hunting to boot. what more can a bowhunter ask for.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Great stories and pic's....congrats on the double.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Come on Rob!  Getting a little greedy aren't you?  I mean really....2 hogs with one arrow?  Excellent pics as usual.  You really are good with the camera....and with the bow too!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Great stories & fine hunting! Especially the 2-fer. Thanks for the pix.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Great shooting Rob.  :thumbsup:  
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  
Great story & Photos.
Tell us about the equipment you used when taking the coyote's photo. How far was he!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Awesome story and pics Rob.  I leave for Hunt #5 next week.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Great shooting Rob, that is awesome, pictures are great ! as usual !  I hope you are going to be in Nashville , love to talk some !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
my camera while hunting consist of my Nikon D3 body, 12-24mm nikor, 24-120mm nikor, 60mm macro nikor and 80-200mm nikor lens. Most of the animal shots were taken with the 80-200.

Thomas if I heard correctly you had a double as well. the funny is Barry had just told me about your double the night before. He must have jinxed me huh! I wish I was going to make it to Nashville, I booked a job over a year ago before I had the dates for the banquet. If the clients hadn't already paid I would have canceled for sure.

Buckster you should have a really great week of hunting. The Twins will put you on hogs for sure. There were at least 12 hogs taken on week 3 and possibly a few more. This week they were hunting a different area so it should give the pigs some time to settle back down for your hunt.

Day 5 coming shortly.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Great shot and fantastic story and pics.Thanks.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Great Story and pictures! I've had the same thing happen with hunting in texas, the hog came in and circled to get the wind before hitting the bait. Next time I am going to sprinkle a little trail of corn on both sides of the bait into the brush. This way maybe if the hog starts to circle and then hits this little trail of corn he will be a real "pig" and follow it into the bait and hopefully an arrow.

Congrats on two nice looking hogs!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©