3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ideas for a 3D Shoot  (Read 565 times)

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
Ideas for a 3D Shoot
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Hey guys, can you give some ideas for a traditional only 3D shoot?  I'm wanting to spice things up some.  Tell of some of the most memorable targets you've shot at a shoot.  I'm thinking of a moving deer target, a timed shot where you drop a steely ball into a sloped piece of pvc and you have to complete your shot before it falls in the bucket at the end of the pipe, spread out a blue tart and put and old box spring under it ,so you can put and old boat on top of it an then scatter out some faom fish targets on it and have the shooter stand up in the boat to shoot the fish, and then have a wingshooting station where they shoot bowbirds.  I'd welcome any other "novelty" targets you might've seen.  Thanks.

D.A.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ideas for a 3D Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Steel targets (of course, cut out kill zone)

Cougar or cat up in tree

Suspended tennis ball

Stand with back to target, twist upper body and shoot.

Sit on bucket behind suspended tarp (blind) and shoot through small window.

Bedded buck behind standing doe (must shoot under doe to score)
Lon Scott

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Every year at the Strictly Sticks Summer Shoot there are some cool shots.  Last year we had to try and shoot 5 arrows indside a paper towel roll, 5 shots opposite handed, 5 shots sitting on a sideways 50-gallon drum w/o having any body part on the ground, 5 shots in like 7 or 8 seconds, and 5 shots at clay pigeons.

It was a great time and produced alot of laughs.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Do a search...there were several ideas posted on another thread
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Horse back shot.  55gal drum suspended by ropes on a frame. Belt a rug onto it to give some traction for you backside. I've seen where yea needed a step stool to get on and off but once your on yea gotta balance and shoot.

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Shop-Vac on reverse suspending a ping pong ball on the air column. You have to restrict the air intake on the vac but it's really cool when set up right.

We use this one as a novelty shoot at our club.  3 shots for a $1 and you have to stick the ball to the backstop, not just hit it.  At the end of the day a ball is drawn from those that qualified and the winner gets 1/2 the pot.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Stanging black bear with a forked tree in front of it and only the front on vitals showing!!! Im 0-4 on that one at the Coon Rapids Shoot the last 4 years!!! Each year when i pull my arrow out of the tree in front i can see past misses of mine and many others!

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
apple on a dummy head!
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Take two freezer bags and fill them half way up with water and then hang them at the same length using rope, off of a frame using small pulleys. Then have two shooters stand at 20 yards with 5 arrows and start shooting on go. Allot of fun sometimes you hit the bag square on and the bag go's up quick. Other times you may just hit the top of the water mark and the bag starts going up slowly and the other guy is still firing away as is bag is going down, and he may just hit is bag square on and reverse the bags. The person who's bag reaches the top first wins. Then put on the next two bags and another two shooters go at it. The winners will keep going against each other until there is only one man left standing.

Another thing I like is make a ring out of small garden hose about the size of a really large plate. Place the ring on the shooting butts and have everyone shoot one arrow and try to hit inside the ring at 20 yards. The shooters who hit inside the ring will continue shooting at the next ring. The next ring will be a little smaller, the size of a paper plate. The winners will continue again and the ring once again will be a little smaller and smaller until there is only one arrow left inside the ring.

On the course I always like the string walk. You have a target sit up and a string going from point A to point B. The shooter will start following the string and can shoot from where ever he would like to take the shot. But you can't back track. Have the group behind something where has they can't see where he  ta shot from. The shooters who have shot can wait at the end of the string and watch.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I've never taken part in one, but I've heard of people doing "Iron Man" shoots.  You only get 1 arrow, and the last man standing is the winner.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
One I made at our local archery club years ago was a 2D Foam grizzly about 8 feet tall. It was setup on a steep hillside anchored to a tree at the top and bottom of the hill.

You pulled the rope and it ran down the hill on cables and pulleys. The target traveled really fast and came straight at you. There was a ribbon the bear had to pass about 30 feet from the end before you could shoot. The rope to pull it back up the hill was wrapped around a car tire rim, mounted on posts, and a cranking handle welded on it.

People that had never shot it would be backing up thinking it would run over them. It was set so the bear stopped about 10 feet from the shooter. Course we had to have a step ladder to remove some arrows. Everybody seem to enjoy it. Many never got a shot because the time from the bear crossing the ribbon till the end was only seconds.
PBS  Member

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
did a beside rope shot this past year..this is where you have a rope tied between two tree's..the person starts walking beside the rope.he can only go foreward ( NOT BACK ).and where he stops is where he has to shoot from..another was a lobbing shot over an obstacle.in our case it was a big rock.in order to hit target you had to just barely pull bow back and lob it over rock..another neat one they had was they placed 5 or 6 2d rabbits out with the score on the back of them.might say single score or double, but one also said lose 20 points..
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
We have most of the above mentioned shots (except the fish) at  our trad shoots.  One of my favorite is a opossum in a tree.  Take a Opossum tie it in a tree, but you swing it then let the folks shoot at it.  I really like that one.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Just remember all of your shooters aren't 25 years old and have 30" waists so don't set anything up where people will fall off and get hurt.  Keep is safe.

One shot I have on my own course is an old cement drainage pipe that sits on a slight downhill angle and I put a 3-D rabbit at the end.  You can take a closer shot but due to the angle you have to sit on the ground or step back far enough to allow the trajectory of the arrow to get through the pipe.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I saw a Large Hog #D target that had a bulls eye in the middle of the Farhead. The target was set up on a cable on a small ridge and two archers were stationed at the top of the ridge and they shot at the side view of the "Running" boar as it was released. Another shooter was stationed at the side of the ravine and had the Boar coming straight at him at a fast clip. The boar had a bungee cord on it and just before it looked like it would hit this shooter, it recoiled. Quite and exciting shoot.

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I remember a coon shoot where the last shot you had to snuff out a lit candle.  the candle sat on a stick in front of a backstop. If the flame got larger your lacquered arrow was probably on fire.  :campfire:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
"spread out a blue tart and put and old box spring under it ..."

Boy is she going to be mad when she reads this!!   :scared:  

I look forward to the Iron Man shoot at ATAR every year. Tough course, and you can take only one arrow with you. Just like hunting, every shot is crafted to take advantage of the terrain and trees, and the advantage goes to the targets every time! Kill zone is exposed, but you have to thread needles and assume some odd stances in order to hit them. There was an optional bonus target last year, a black steel pig with a hole in its heart. Backstop was black, too. The ground was littered with nocks and shattered shafts. Not mine, though! I found MY nock.   ;)

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Just use terrorist targets!!! The Bin Ladin bunny hunt coarse
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I was at a shoot yrs. ago, where they had a 50yd shot at a 3d deer--Thing was it was surrounded by burlap bags stuffed full of STINK"N, STINK'N ROTTEN CARP-- Lot of laughs.  It was so bad a few guys just left their errant arrow buried in the reeking slime.
  Ariels using helium filled ballons (you can rent a tank of He.)   Flu'flu's, of course.  Trick is to release them so that out front of archers, so that they move away from them to simulate rising pheasant, and going away shot.  Distance of archers from the orgin of release is dependant on strength of wind.  You need to exp. w a few  to determine archers station to create the most interesting shot, given the current conditions-- Only takes one or two trials to get it right.  Its alot fun--3D ariels.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Pencils - they don't hurt. Really.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©