3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sustainably-harvested wood for our bows?  (Read 708 times)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
Sustainably-harvested wood for our bows?
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a fan of fancy woods as the next guy, but I was wondering which bowyers make an effort to use wood that has been sustainably harvested. We all like to talk about the nature of being in the woods, the connection with nature, the encroaching of humans on our wild spaces. How about making sure those spaces remain wild, when buying something like a bow or arrows? Any names? Thanks, Marco

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sustainably-harvested wood for our bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Great question. I'd like to see a list woods that are known to come from endangered habitats. I'd wage most north american species are pretty safe bets as far as sustainability goes. There are several certification programs that give some assurance that wood was harvested sustainably.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I like bowhunting with wood/glass bows. What is the definition of sustainably harvested wood?
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi Marco.....   :wavey:
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Ciao Forester, I'm asking around. It matters to me...

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Matters to me too.  If I learn any more I will be sure to let you know.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
What about all the Trad Gang sponsors who use cocobolo, bocote, bubinga, etc?
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Almost any domestic wood is sustainably managed. Unless there are other reasons to take land out of production, like development, which does not fall under this discussion, its a rare landholder that does not expect to continue harvesting lumber on land that already yields product. While some are more "actively" managed than others, the general aim is to be able to continue harvests.
Its worthwhile to ask about exotic woods because sustainabilty practices usually benefit the smaller land holder and/or workers in 3rd world countries for the same reason it benefits those in the US. Land can yield product but also be used recreationally (think hunting lease) is but one example.

Joshua, who with his Dad managed 200 acres of woodland for saw and veneer logs, habitat, focusing on specialty markets, like woodworking - carvers, furniture makers, turners and probably bowyers too.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Almost any domestic wood is sustainably managed. Unless there are other reasons to take land out of production, like development, which does not fall under this discussion, its a rare landholder that does not expect to contiue harvesting lumber on land that already yields product. While some are more "actively" managed than others, the general aim is to be able to continue harvests.
Oh how I wish this were true.

Not knocking you at all Joshua.  From the tone of your post I would bet you did a great job in your management.  And you are correct that many people with a long term management goal practice good forestry.  But there are still too many operations out there that just cut down trees for money and offer nothing for sustainability to the unknowing and trusting landowner.  High-grading timber is still practiced in too many places and it would be nice to know that we're not promoting the practice when carrying a wooden bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Great Northern's bows are built with al indigenous woods -- osage, maple, birch, hickory, elm, etc.  No rainforest woods, etc.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Forester:
 But there are still too many operations out there that just cut down trees for money and offer nothing for sustainability to the unknowing and trusting landowner. ...
Oh I know, I know. We did a lot of educational outreach stuff, even demonstrating how it would make the owner more money in the long run.  I wish I could walk everyone through a  truely healthy forest- its so obvious to even the untrained eye. The place just throbs with life- the trees add serious mass every year, the animals/birds are plentiful. We took a property that had been "hammered" and in 15 years had a pretty nice woodlot that was a lot of joy to  hunt in and work in. Hell, it was nice just to walk through...

J-
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Joshua, great to know and you have my respect for that, we're lucky that there are and were people like you who try.
As someone who has seen woods ruined by unsustainable management, I want to know my bow wood did not contribute to that. I feel that the bow, as an object and a symbol, should represent my respect for the places I spend so much time in, and take so much enjoyment from. Marco

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
jhg -    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Shifting Shadow -  
What about all the Trad Gang sponsors who use cocobolo, bocote, bubinga, etc?
I think that is part of the question on the table.  Not questioning the sponsors in any critical way, but curious to know who provides the option of woods from proven well managed forests.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Yes, mine is not an abstract question. It's about buying a bow that reflects my concern for keeping the woods for the next generation. Period.
Maybe some of the sponsors already do it but never thought of advertising it. This would be the time to chime in.
Thank you,
Marco

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
That came out way too harsh.

You could probably do more for sustainability by reading an ebook than by worrying about all of you archery equipment combined.  The amount of wood, even including waste, used in a bow and arrows is almost ridiculously small.  Also consider that the most popular wood arrow material is only harvested from downed lumber and the impact gets even smaller.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Great question. I'd like to see a list woods that are known to come from endangered habitats. I'd wage most north american species are pretty safe bets as far as sustainability goes. There are several certification programs that give some assurance that wood was harvested sustainably.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Jeff, I suppose one could buy and ebook AND use sustainable wood in their bow. Your argument is akin to a vegetarian who eats chicken wings and Assuages their guilt by convincing themselves that they only ate a teeny tiny part of the bird. I doubt they are merely trimming branches off the trees in the forests we should be worried about. I probably have some wood in my shop I shouldn't. Just think it's something we should alll be aware of.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Jeff, the "period" in my post may have been harsh, but I was smiling when I wrote it.  ;)
It's not about quantity, but about principle for me.
I'm just trying to find out if anyone is taking that step.

Steve, that's exactly my point, thank you.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve Kendrot:
Jeff, I suppose one could buy and ebook AND use sustainable wood in their bow. Your argument is akin to a vegetarian who eats chicken wings and Assuages their guilt by convincing themselves that they only ate a teeny tiny part of the bird. I doubt they are merely trimming branches off the trees in the forests we should be worried about. I probably have some wood in my shop I shouldn't. Just think it's something we should alll be aware of.
That wasn't my point, Steve.  I did a really lousy job of getting this across...

Why worry about the match in your hand when you're standing in a brush fire?  Sustainability is a great goal, but worrying about the wood used in archery...

Trad, I didn't mean your post was harsh, I meant my first try came out completely unacceptable for a public forum.  It was harsh and sniping and not something that should have been posted here.

Plant a tree and you can do more for sustainability than chasing down every bowyer to ever sell a bow.  It's that small an amount of wood.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©