3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sustainably-harvested wood for our bows?  (Read 709 times)

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sustainably-harvested wood for our bows?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Wow great topic. I would like to see better access to Australian woods they have a similar science behind there timber management. There are several domestics that could be called exotic (Mesquite, Madrone, Ebanyo, Texas Persimmon, Bay Laurel, Mountain Mahogany to name a few) we as consumers should look into their use as a more sustainable practice.

Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline cgeiser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
There are also a lot of non-natives here in NA that make beautiful bow woods. I have a Thunderstick Moab with eucalyptus laminations on the limbs. Ab least in the Bay Area there are a ton of eucalyptus that are actually reaching old age and will be dying and falling in droves over the next decade or two from what I hear. There are even lot of urban trees cut each year to reduce the risk of them falling on houses or that come down in storms. In Californias central valley there are a lot almond orchards and I believe almond could make a very pretty bow. Just some thoughts. If I had the time to try making my own bow I think I would give some of these woods a try.
Che

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I am all for sustainable wood use, but you can throw out cocabolo, zebrawood, ebony, etc.... None of them are sustainably harvested.  South American forests are being destroyed at record rates.  If every American refused to use those woods the forest will still get destroyed. It would just mean all the other countries would get the wood for a bit cheaper prices.  

I agree that local woods are the best option and my next Wes Wallace is going to be all myrtlewood which is a west coast wood.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
I'm gonna have my next bow buit will woods from the mainland US.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Actually, I worry more about the sustainability of our sport rather than the bow woods we're using up.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Unbelieveable!

Jim

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Watch what you mean by sustainability....a tree farm is about as far from a functioning forest ecosystem as a corn field is a prairie.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Depends on the "tree farm"  but know what you mean by your comment. However...
 There are woodlots that are managed not only for timber production or whatever AND for habitat for wildlife, esthetic appeal for hikers and hunters etc.  Its not that hard to do when you understand what they need.
 On our woodlot we couldn't afford to let the land just sit there and didn't want to anyway. It was very satisfying to work the forest.
We chose to do it in a way that satisfyed a lot of criteria- like great hunting and a beautiful place to be. Also, there are more examples of habitat ruined by no management than those that are managed.
Lets not get the mindset because there are poor examples of timber management that we decide NO mangement is the solution.
Its isn't and never has been.
The more landholders understand what they can do to enhance their property and get some returns on the(investment) they will usually come around. Its really a question of ignorance. Many just don't know there are options.
I certainly think its a worthwhile converstation in terms of the bows we buy because we might learn some things that apply to larger issues or understand some more about wood management. I don't agree with the mindset that because bow making is such a small aspect of wood consumption that the discussion is not worthwhile.
I think we do have to understand its a pretty hard way to make a living for  bowyers already without mandating what woods they can offer.  Letting them know it is something we care about is a good approach IMO.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
I don't think anybody's intent is to chase down and admonish bowyers or even be critical of anyone in bowhunting using a wood product.  An individual bowyer's wood use, or an individual archer's wood use, is a little drop in the bucket.  The question has been posed in a positive manner to try and find any source of bows being created from wood positively identified as produced from sustainably managed forests.

The bucket gets filled somehow, drop by drop.  The option of "certified" wood products allows market access to small landowners and to operations that manage in a positive manner, domestically and internationally.  When people see me chasing down bowyers in order to give them extra money for such a bow, maybe a few more will offer that option.  Drop by drop....

Domestic vs. international is not the deciding factor in this question either.  There is a lot of mismanaged and un-managed forest in the U.S.  And there are quite a number of wood dealers that offer cocobolo, ebony, zebrawood, purpleheart, goncola, etc... from well managed forests that provide for conservation and economic development.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
It is all subjective to what the individual person wants. If you look at Adirondack National Park you will see a forest to beuatiful trees but not a lot of deer, bear or moose. We don't let fire rejuvenate the forest so it becomes lessable to sustain wildlife. Take the Catskill mountains were people are allowed to harvest lumber and you are seeing a lot more game and wildlife. There is an area where I go that they planted pine trees in the 30's. That area was dead  and nothing was living in that part of the forest. They went in last year and harvested all the pines and within a couple of years the brush will help sustain a lot of wildlfe. I think arereal enemy is the population expanding at such a rapid pace and urban sprawl.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Het guys, Forester is right, if you read my initial question, I don't wish to put an obstacle in front of anyone, especially bowyers.
All I did was ask if anyone did it, as I would like to support them. Put my money where my mouth is.
Thanks, Marco

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I have read this thread 3 times and would like to commend all of you for such an intelligent discussion of an issue that pertains to all. I believe that Trad is on to something and feel that maybe if we as archers would just ask the question about sustainable wood we could do this old planet a lot of good. Perhaps the bowyers would hear our voice and work with us to leave a legacy of good. Please go on with this thread!!  :archer:    :clapper:

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Does this mean we can't cut down any more Phenolic trees???  :saywhat:
hunt it

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
I used old growth plastic once...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©