3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Look what i found  (Read 369 times)

Offline klm5121

• Trad Bowhunter
Look what i found
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I recently found this case with these arrow heads in it. I found out my grandfather had made the wooden case, but i have no idea where the arrow heads came from. My grandfather passed away almost ten years ago already... and nobody in the family seems to know much about this artifact. Just thought I would share, I know i was excited when i found it the other day.

...Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus~Philippians 3:14-15

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Look what i found
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Nice display. Those look big are they spearheads or do I just not have a frame of reference to compare them to?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
nice find.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline klm5121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
i am sorry these are spearheads
...Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus~Philippians 3:14-15

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
That's really nice! Your Grandfather did a great job on that frame, and those Spear Heads are cool. Cherish it! Was your Grandfather involved in Archery, or maybe he just liked the history of the heads?
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
That's one nice set of Spear Heads and something to Cherish forever!

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Great find!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Kim, that is a nice remembrence of your Grandfather. Cherish it & thanks for sharing.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Those are sweet! We find big stuff like that here, but not in that good of shape. We think they are knives?
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
What a find!Like others have said...cherish it.Your Grandfather had talent.Very nice points.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
That's a pretty neat display.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Nice display and traditional too boot!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
As others have said that is truly a family heirloom. Cherish it and display it proudly!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Very nice! My grandfather had a HUGE collection of arrowheads, spear points, stone hawk heads, and other native American tools, but almost all of them were stolen shortly after he died. I only have a few, including one of the tiniest arrowheads I've ever seen. I doubt it had a practical purpose. Grandpa always thought it was probably either someone showing off or that it was for a kid's arrow.

Thanks for sharing, it brings back memories of walking along with my grandpa while he found arrowheads. I sucked at it, but he could spot one from the seat of a moving tractor. I remember riding with him while he cultivated and having him stop the tractor, climb down and pick up an arrowhead. Sometimes only a bit of it was showing in the dirt. He would sometimes point at it from the tractor, but I could never see it.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Very nice, your grandfather did a good job on the display case.Those are some really nice looking points.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
It is interesting to ponder what your grandfather thought of these artifacts.  Obviously they were significant to him.  It speaks of his respect for things many people often overlook or forget.  I guess that's evidenced by the fact that no one else had taken interest in them like you have.  Perhaps there is a connection of sorts in your mind-set and values to those of your grandfather.  At least I would like to see it that way.  

At any rate it is a very impressive find and displaying them is a great way to cherish the memory of your grandad.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline klm5121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. I know when i was younger my father and I would use to look for arrow heads, but as I got older that kind of came to a stop. I know my grandfather had a lot of Indian artifacts, i still have a few of them, like paint pots and an axe head, but a lot of them were lost somewhere. I know when my grandfather hunted he hunted with a recurve and my fathers first bow was a Bear Kodiak, however he is shooting a compound now. I have only been shooting traditional for a few years but my dad has not showed any interest in shooting traditional with me but he fully supports me shooting recurves.

Offline klm5121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©