3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The turkey heavens are shining on me today!!pics!!  (Read 1839 times)

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The turkey heavens are shining on me today!!pics!!
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
This mornin was supposed to be thunder storms, high wind and lotsa rain. But in wasn't to windy and the rain wasn't here yet and I did have the day off of work so I headed to the woods. On my opening day.

Be back later,, more to come.
TGMM

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The turkey heavens are shining on me today!!pics!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Looks awesome Jason.  Man I wish I could be in the woods today instead of sitting inside.  Good luck buddy.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
The mornin wasn't a promise cause of the Rain comming but I took the popup blind a hen deek, a couple calls and my K-mag. I set up on the edge of a old bean feild that wasn't plowed under yet. As I was standing outside of the blind after set up owl hooting for some gobbles I notice a very destinct figure skylined by the dark blue sky.

I thought oh boy I blew it, I got to close to the roost and they've made me out. I dived into my blind zipped it up pulled the corner down so I can keep and eye on the roosted birds for a little bit. After about 10 minutes I start to notice a second bird in that tree,, I start tree calling to them and one starts to fan out,,,, OHBOY,,,I thought, maybe they didn't make me out.

I hear a hen start to mimic me so I start in on her right away. After about ten minutes of tree calls she flies down just about over the blind,,lands behind me and start to yelp and cut.. I take her head on in full aggresion,  she start yelping like 20 to 30 yelps in a row with a keee right before she starts  her series,, I cut her off,,,go yelp for yelp,,cut for cut,,and I added that keee to my series. She's all fired up by now ,,guess what No gobbling at all but these boys are on the limb watching it all,, fanning out so I know there interested. I hear a twig snap in front of the blind and....
TGMM

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
I turn my head slowly to look at the noise expecting a deer,,"no way dude" two jakes walked out of the woods and are comming into the setup,, My single hen looks very nice to these guys and there commited.. I have to turn around,,pick my bow up,,get turned the rest of the way all the while these boys are closing in,,,Oh man don't spook,,,don't spook,, I'm thinkin.

I get ready to draw,,Pick a spot and now there not feeling very warm about something,, I think they seen me move up into the window of the blind but they didn't make me out but I could tell they weren't going to stick around. There turned,, walkin away from me,,the closest bird is about 15 yards or so,,I pick a spot in his spine....
TGMM

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
and ... and ... geeze, Jase - c'mon a'ready!  :clapper:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
I let that 2216 arrow tipped with a 140 grain snuffer zip through window of the blind the shot went higher than I wanted but caught the bird in base of the neck passin right through him like a hot knife threw butter,, they both started down the feild edge and the stringer started running out threw the window,,"man I'm on cloud nine by this time,, knowing the hit is very leathal,

The bird ran about 35 yards or so and tipped over,,his buddy stopped with him, My past experience said get out and run him down now! I start the dash from the blind and get within ten feet of him and he gets up,, turns to my right and takes off flying,, the tracker string is still in him,,I'm thinkin,, "The arrow must be in him",,I look down at my hand and I've actually got the string in my hand and thought,,"How the heck did that happen"  I actually thought I could pull the bird down from his flight as he's gettin as high as the big oaks..
He bounces off of a tree and goes down,, he still mannaged  to crawl over one log trying to hide, I ran through  big briars  taller than me full tilt,,"got the scars on my legs to prove it"   OOOUUUUUCCCCHHHHH ,And some other four letter words came out of my mouth but they aren't legit for the powwow.LOL,,I cover the rest of the distance quickly making a clean recoivery of my first bird with my curve,, I felt sooo good,Just before the storms,,on opening day,,off of the roost.. man its a good life,,Better than I deserve.

Thanks to all the credited archers on tradgang,my uncle,my family for always supporting me in every endever I've taken on.. and a special Thanks to our creator and Lord,,

God bless everyone in their challenges of there life.
 Jason Bobb

Equipment is a
2005 Kodiak magnum,,60#@28",,2216@29" with about 140 grains of snuffer pay load..sharp enough to shave with.
TGMM

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Come on Jason, I'm waiting. I picked a spot on his spine AND.
Making my second pot of coffee and waiting. John
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
High fives going through the family,, they were just gettin up..

TGMM

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I tell ya flat out, loking at those pics it just doesn't get any better than that.

Congrats Jason   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :clapper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
to cool. thanks for sharing. I think I will get of my but now and at least go run the dogs. Good looking family
Gene
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Great job Jason!  Excellent story!!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Jason, you are the man.  Now you will just have to call for me in a couple weeks.  Congradulation buddy.  Talk to you soon.

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
EXCELLENT   :thumbsup:
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Tim, I hope I can,, On inspecting the shot through the window on my blind. I noticed the shot acctually hit the bottom part of the window probably causing the arrow to deflect up about four inches or so. It was still on straight "Thank God" and got the bird in the neck,,quick and clean..
TGMM

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  

Dennis

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
That's a good pic right there!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
Great story.
And the pictures are worth a thousand words.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
Way to go Jason.Nice job and great pics!Is that Thunderchicken? GOOGOOGOOGOOLLLEELLEELEEELLELELElelelee!!!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Congratulations!!! Great bird and story! Thanks for sharing it with us! Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
nice bird and great hunt jason.  i wish my hunt would have ended the same way....
got a late start- up late watching the wings, anyway, stopped at my brothers got out of the truck and ripped off a few mouth chirps, and heard a few gobbles a couple hundred yards off.
Unloaded my blind, dekes, bow and was off.  Got the blind set up, dekes out and ready, blew a few cuts and heard the gobbles real close, looked over and they were already within 75 yards.  A couple of putts and within 3 minutes of setting up they were in the dekes.  Two nice toms one with about a 6" beard and the other about 9"...
I picked my spot on the bigger tom and released,
only to shoot low....just under him.  Using my 45 lb Lee curve not my 55 lber, didn't adjust for slower flight.  Pulled another arrow and let them settle for a few seconds, again broadside this time about 13 yards and released- the arrow entered about 4 inches up the body just in front of the leg.  A great hit I thought, they both walked out to 40 yards and I figured I should try to anchor him, and shot again, I hit tail feathers and that made him fly.  He flew about 30 yards into the edge of the woods and took off running.  I had good blood where he was walking, found 2 feathers in the edge with blood on them, and then the rain came.....I looked over the section for 4 hours in the rain and found nothing.  No more feathers no blood... no turkey.
Pretty dissapointed right now.  Thought about the string tracker, but I missed my first shot so that would'nt a mattered anyway.  I know I am not the first to lose one, but it hurts for sure.
Congrats, and I too hope to join the ranks of taking one with my bow.
Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©