3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Map and compass  (Read 1118 times)

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Map and compass
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Uncle Sam taught me to navigate with map and compass before GPS became standard issue.
My wife and I have rode horses all over this country. I carry the map and compass,she carries the GPS.Old habits die hard.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Just bought my first GPS in December. It is great for finding tree stands in the dark, and getting back to vehicle or camp after dark. But I still carry and use my compass, I've trusted it for years and it has never let me down. It probably can't always get me to within 3 feet of my destination like the GPS, but then it also won't let me down due to dead batteries either.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
i still like having a topo to see the terrain features which I find very difficult to see on a little lcd screen. as far as a compass, i will always have one in my pack period....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
I travel way off trail and I rely primarily on my compass but I do bring a GPS
as well. I also bring a cell phone and sometimes a two way. I believe that it is foolish not to. If I am seriously hurt I want to be able to get help NOW and tell them EXACTLY where I am rather than have someone find me and say: "Hey, pretty good woodsmen-ship skills-he almost made it!" I'm thinking of getting one of those emergency responders.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Map and a good compass they are what I got started with. I carry an extra compass as well that is identical to the main compass.

I have a GPS and do use it to find fishing spots on the big lakes.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
Come on guys, Batteries failing?? Duh. Carry some spare ones,, I carry and use a map and compass for a back-up for my GPS. I have a map and compass on my GPS screen which works well under heavy Oregon cover. The altimeter works great also. Man quit using the sun dial when the clock was invented, now I use an atomic watch that keeps time to the nano second accuracy and the battery hasn't been changed out in 5 yrs. I like knowing EXACTLY where I am in the dark. Not traditional?? oh well.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Yep I'm on my 3rd generation of GPS.  They have allowed me to go way off trail with confidence.  I do have topos and compass also and use the 3 as a team.  Yep it's easy to carry extra batteries.  I get flashlights, headlamps and Gps that all use the same batts.

Used my compass pig hunting in east Texas last week so I could stay in a straight line in the heavy brush.  I keep walking in circles otherwise.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
I have no doubt that GPS units work and would allow me to just wander around in the woods and then just follow its intructions back to the truck at the end of the day. I do however, get a great deal of satisfaction from finding my own way in the woods with only a map and compass. I suppose its the same attitude that drives us to shoot our recurves and longbows instead of compound cam diven bows.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
I once lost my GPS (still had the spare batteries though!)  I think Uncle Buck summed up my attitude exactly.

RonP

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Every hunter should have a knowledge of map and compass use... period.

Anyone who uses any electronic device and doesn't carry spare batteries is pretty silly.
Heck, guys carry a spare compass from the looks of things... I do!

Being "exclusive" to either compass or GPS is just narrow minded and missing a lot of fun.

I love my GPS for it's convenience, accuracy and mapping features. I'm also as good with map and compass as any man!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Ain't just batteries that are the problem with GPS...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8533157.stm

The whole system is potentially vulnerable to interference, not to mention that the Pentagon can turn it off whenever it suits them to do so.

I have never and will never use GPS.  I know where i am on my waterproof map at all times, maps make sense to me GPS most certainly does not.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Map compass But like to carry gps mark sign and spots to hunt
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
My compass is always in my pocket.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I have and use a GPS - but am NEVER without a paper map and my compass! Technology only goes so far. And in some of this eastern NC/Cambodia jungles I get into alot of times the GPS does not receive.

Sure it has been said  a hundred times but will say again. Just having a map and compass means nothing if you do nto know how to properly employ them. Take a course or read a book, my Dad taught me from the time I could walk - but know how to use em.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Compass & altimeter.

Since I am out here in the rocky Mtns, my map and compass is used with an altimeter. Out here  knowing elevation can make locating much easier and exact within 100 feet which is plenty accurate.
Mine is a stand alone unit that cost about 60 bucks.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Russ H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Like many others. Map and compass but use gps to mark stands or places to hunt. Compass is in my pocket everyday

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
See my foot noted quote.   :)
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Map and compass.  Always have, always will.  I also carry a spare.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
GPS here.  I wear a pin on compass for quick reference and when the overhead cover gets too thick.  Wish I knew more about maps and orienteering.

Uh, the Pentagon isn't going to turn off your GPS.  Not only is there an entire commercial industry surrounding GPS, your 911 PSAP is using GPS to locate that accident you just called in from your cell phone.  "Turning off" GPS would take a presidential order at this point and a politician willing to shoulder the burden of civilian deaths.  Ain't gonna happen.

Dead batteries?  C'mon folks...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
GPS here.  I wear a pin on compass for quick reference and when the overhead cover gets too thick.  Wish I knew more about maps and orienteering.

Uh, the Pentagon isn't going to turn off your GPS.  Not only is there an entire commercial industry surrounding GPS, your 911 PSAP is using GPS to locate that accident you just called in from your cell phone.  "Turning off" GPS would take a presidential order at this point and a politician willing to shoulder the burden of civilian deaths.  Ain't gonna happen.

Dead batteries?  C'mon folks...
Yup, but, IMO a GPS has a guy staring at a screen way more than he is looking at his surroundings. Not a good recipe for success---from a hunting and a survival standpoint. Spare batteries? Good idea, however, what happens when you drop your GPS in the river or fumble it off the rocky slope? Yup, a dead GPS, and no reference to get back out of the weeds. At the very least, DR navigation(even in the event of compass loss)can, and will, get you home safely. Just learn the basics of land nav, and learn how to judge direction even if you break/lose your compass. A GPS won't help you do that.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©