3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone have solid info on Michigan feral pigs and locations?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone have solid info on Michigan feral pigs and locations?
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
The DNR now lists 30 counties in which to shoot pigs.  I'd be more than happy to remove some for anyone out there, if I can just get access...

Anyone have any info and/or areas where crop damage may be occuring?  Or on public lands?

Thanks for the tips!!
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone have solid info on Michigan feral pigs and locations?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Hey I don't even know what counties, how did you find that out Marc?

Maybe we could get toghether and do some roving around for the beast.That would be an excellent time. Jason B.
I'll call the DNR to see what I can't drum up.
TGMM

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
A friend of mine has 90A in S. Osceola county, his neighbor deer camp shot a large hog this year. I hunt Montmorency, Alcona, Midland counties, haven't seen any there nor any sign. Of course, I wasn't really looking for pigs.

I recall reading in the Midland paper about a bunch of them getting loose north of here a couple of seasons ago (like S. Gladwin or Clare counties??), and the DNR was encouraging people to take them. I've heard since they've spread, the above anecdote is the only evidence I've seen of that recently.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Hey I found this on the web sight. The red counties are the ones with free roaming pigs.
I live in montcalm county and I haven't seen any sign that I know of from pigs but if I do I'll be all over it. The map looks small but if ya hold your mouse arrow over it for a second a zoom square pops up so you can zoom it in better.

http://www.michigan.gov/images/dnr/feralpigmap_177404_7.jpg
TGMM

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the link Jason.  Someone mentioned this last winter at the rabbit hunt, but I only caught a tiny bit of the conversation.  This definitely sounds like something worth looking into.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Here piggy, piggy  :archer:  .  That would be a good time Jason.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
There is a bar in Leroy (osceola County) that has quite a congregation of...oh wait, that's probably not what your getting at.

Sorry,

:biglaugh:  

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind tracking down a little squeal! I live close to Allegan County, which looks like it has few roaming around
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline skinflint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I live in jackson county,have'nt seen any pig's in my area,no four legged one's anyway,but the map show's  there here.First I heard about it. That's interesting. Gary
Do it today! Tomorrow there may be A law against it.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
I am in Clare county, about 2 miles from the southwest county corner.  I hunt both Isabella county and Clare.  No sign of any 4 legged swine yet.  Have had a few issues with the 2 legged pigs- 2 treestand stolen in the last few years.
I think we all need to keep each other updated on any sightings.  As a group- we could narrow down the locations and put a hunt together in short order.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
I know there are a few in Baraga county up here in the UP. Dont know of anyone ever shooting any but I dont get over that way much.

Two have been killed about 10 min south of my house here in MQT, but those were russians that got out of a game farm. I deer hunt in the area and have never seen any.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Sorry I should have kept up on this post more quickly...

Whitebuffalo--I saw it on the Mich DNR website, and there was another article in the local paper (tri-county-times) basically outlining the DNR's website.

I was hoping to hear of some areas where there might be some high concentrations...

I may call my uncle, who has a history with the local swine farmers in Shiawassee County, to see if he can get any info from other farmers coming in to sell their pigs at auction.

Thanks All!
Marc

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
That sounds good Marc. As far as concentrations I beleive most of them get out of the hunting farms around here and rome free for about a day or two and are killed by the farm or the dnr. Thats kinda what I'm thinking is happening cause the wild boar hunting farms around here are really starting to pop up every where. After I did a little reserch on my areas hunting farms I found I have an elk and deer farm not more than 5 minutes from here. Now I don't want to disrespect anyone who hunts these farms. As I was looking at there web site and there animals on there farm some of them  pics had SOLD on the front of it like they were cattle. Kinda hurt my heart to see a 380" to 400" bull with the word SOLD in big red letters accross the front of it. I'm not bashing them cause its there business but it just hurt.  "[dntthnk]"
TGMM

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Know where your coming from W.Buffalo. I want to go and do a hog hunt to fill my freezer, but seeing a grand animal like an elk, shouldn't have a sold sign on him. You could probably do a free ranging elk hunt out west for the same amount a game ranch would charge. To me the piggies are different. It's like buying bacon on the hoof! LOL!

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Guys--some of those elk that you see are not "sold" for a hunter to come and kill.  They are bred and "sold" to high-dollar restaurants and processors that are licensed to sell the elk sausage and jerky that you can buy in many grocery stores in the US.

I can go into high-dollar grocery stores in the middle of Ann Arbor (where the liberalism is high) and buy elk summer sausage...

I'm not condoning it, and I'm not condemning it either, as I buy that summer sausage from time to time as a treat for me and the kids...

Or, those animals are "sold" to a game ranch, where they will be released for harvest by hunting.  (NO DEBATE ON THE IDEA OF HUNTING PLEASE--we're talking about pigs here!!)

But those animals are "mostly" contained, with the occasional escape, and nearly ZERO breeding potential if they do get out.

The feral hogs, however, seem to be becoming more frequent, and therefore, ready to be thrown in the skillet...YUM!

Thanks for the info.
Marc

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
I used to work in a resturant as a dish washer. The cook would take both backstraps with spine attached(pork loin roast I think) and bake it in the oven for a long time. I've been wanting to do my own ever since! It melted in your mouth when ate! Yum is right!

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Somebody shot a big boar by Houghton Lake this season. Don't know all the facts, but heard that some PETA idiots cut the fences at the Ponderosa game farm in St Hellen. and that's where they thought it came from. They had a picture of the boar on the news a while ago.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Saw a mountain lion chasing a wild boar down by Kensington Metropark just the other day............ yea, yea, thats the ticket.

Sorry, couldn't resist
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
insttech1, I have a fairly large pig farm just south of where I'm at. I used to see them in the open feilds grazing but they looked like normal pigs. I'll stop in and see what they say about there hogs. I'll report back sometime this week.
TGMM

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Jason,
Sounds good, and thanks.  
I'll see if I can dig up anything else.
Marc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©