3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Adventure In Longbow  (Read 1362 times)

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Adventure In Longbow
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Sure, you guys are welcome to come over any time, no trouble to get into the archery club 24/7 I have a key.

Text me when you get your tag

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Got to try some new arrows today

Beman Classic 340 11.2 gpi @ 30.5" with 150g points
Total weight 680 grains

I must say this is the first arrow I have had the chance to try that is heavy enough for my bow & man what a difference compared to the 440 grain arrows I was using before!

These arrows hit around a foot lower at around 20 yards, so that took some getting used to.

I noticed they don't rattle my bow hand hardly at all compared to the light arrows.

They flew awesome & penetrated almost twice as far.

I met another trad shooter a few weeks ago, & have become good friends & have been shootng once a week with him. He likes wood arrows & told me he had some brand new carbons he would like to sell, needless to say, I'm buying the dozen from him & they also come with broadheads that are the same weight as the feild points for a great price to boot.

It was nice to have the opportunity to try before you buy, can't wait to hunt with them!

Offline Tony B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Hey Wess, Get away from those 440 grain arrows.The will fly high and could damage your bow! Its almost like dry firing your bow at that weight!We maybe able to weight them up with heavy heads and weight tubes.Dont worry bud we'll take good care of you !
Tony
Widows
PMAX
PCHX
>>>------->

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Yes sir, I'm really liking the 680's, I'll give the 440's to Dad with his 45lb recurve

Offline Tony B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
Good idea!
Widows
PMAX
PCHX
>>>------->

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I'll be attending my first outdoor 3D shoot this weekend. There is one on Saturday & another one on Sunday.
 The weekend after that, I'll be going to a traditional only 2 day 3D shoot!

Should be fun!!!

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I agree, just have fun but try not to jump in weight to fast, a 10# jump can take some getting use to and to go 25# at once will be a bit harder. Not worth hurting your self

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
If you're a young fit guy,start with something in the 50# range,you'll enjoy it much more.
50# will take anything in North America with no problem,as accuracy is so much more important than just Raw Power.

Good Shooting,
Greaseman

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
I had a great time last night with Tony (Maine Guide), Dave Tony's Father & their friend from South Carolina.
 Tony & Dave came over last night for their first official hunt for spring bear in New Brunswick. I must admit, it was some neat to see a couple recurves getting into the blind, this will be my first all traditional hunting experience.

I gotta tell ya, that Black Widow bow sure is sexy haha, it makes any hunter look better.......even Tony haha! just joking ole boy!!!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I know this isn't twitter or facebook but I have loved reading your journaling. I also have enjoyed the verbal interactions between two obviously "ate-up" with archery guys.    :campfire:  

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
like mudd said, this is pretty interesting. but that 70#er scares me, i shot 60#s for a long time and my shoulders hurt all the time, but i work hard too, that doesent help.  :archer2:

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Hey guy's, I'm glad your enjoying my thread, heck, i'm just glad someone's reading it! haha

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
As you know, I shot in my first 3D shoot this weekend, I must say, it was an absolute blast!!!

Only having shot indoors out to 20 yards max, over the past 3 months, i must say it was very different shooting outdoors. I had a hard time at the longer distances due to never shooting that far, the shots ranged from 20 yards to 50 yards. The shadows, un even ground, up & down hill shots all made it tough too.

The shoot was first class all the way, from the course to the food to the prizes, there were only trophy's for the winning shooters & all the hunting gear was given out by random draw, that way even the worst shooter could go home with the best prize.

There were 4 traditional shooters there including myself, & I must say we got alot of attention. Some of you Canadian boys might have heard of Best Of Bull Run tv show on Wild TV, they were there & a couple of the girls shot the course. It was pretty good for us 4 trad shooters because they shot right behind us & did lots of filming of us shooting because we were all trad, they were very mpressed with us. Also the local paper got some pics of us, took our names & told us our pic would be in hte paper. So look for my ugly mug to be on "Best Of Bull Run" sometime. HAHA!!! I hope I hit the target on film!!!

All & all it was a great time & I can't wait for the next one!

Oh, & did i mention, I won a McKenzie 3D deer target??? WOOOO!!! HOOOO!!! They must have been watching me shoot & knew I needed it most!!!

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
If you jump in weight too fast using the Schultz style of the Howard Hill style you can injure your bow arm shoulder pretty badly.  Take it easy and groove in that technique before you add to much weight.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Couple new things to add,

in my short time in Traditional shooting, I have rounded up a really great group of new friends. They are a great bunch of guys & a hoot to be around   :thumbsup:

I shot in my 2nd 3D shoot this past weekend, I shot much better for only my second time shooting outside. I am in love with 3D shooting, it really helps to have a great bunch to shoot with & it is really making me a better shot, can't wait for the next one!!!

I also finally bought myself a new quiver, I decided to go with a Safari Arrowmaster quiver. I chose this quiver because I wanted one that would be good for hunting & it came highly recomended for that task. I used it for the first time at the 3D shoot on the weekend & it worked great, I love it so far!  

What a great journey this has been so far, it has turned out to be more than just a new style of hunting for me, I am most thankful for the great new friends I have made, you guys are great   :clapper:

Offline Tony B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Its like having two wives ! you love them both! Shooting a traditional bow is a very deep and meaningful experience! Only understood by the guys that do it!Its my passion!!!!!!!
Widows
PMAX
PCHX
>>>------->

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Man do I love watching my arrow fly into my spot, especially at 20 - 25 yards!!!!  :archer2:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I have been checking in from time to time on this thread, and it seems that you are still making progress and having fun. That's great!  

How well are you handling the heavy bow? Which bow are you using on the 3D course?

Continue to keep us posted. I'm sure your comments cause a lot of the old timers to dig up memories. I know it has brought some to my mind. Thanks.
Sam

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I have been checking in from time to time on this thread, and it seems that you are still making progress and having fun. That's great!  

How well are you handling the heavy bow? Which bow are you using on the 3D course?

Continue to keep us posted. I'm sure your comments cause a lot of the old timers to dig up memories. I know it has brought some to my mind. Thanks.
I have improved greatly on my shooting & just love when my pink fletched arrows hit my "spot" especially when it's a group of 3.
 I have bought a 34# long bow for my 9 year old daughter & she loves it, my good friend Troy & I shot with our girls in a 3D tournament this weekend for the first time, what a great time. They were the only 2 traditional girls & the organizers of the tournament didn't have a category for them but managed to scrape up 2 extra 1st place & 2nd place medals, both girls didn't take their medals off the entire next day, it was pretty cute. They were so proud & so were Troy & I. Troy finished first & so did his girl, I finished 2nd & so did my daughter Grace, can't wait for the next one.

Until next time
Wesley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©