3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Mfr's missing the boat on hydration?  (Read 530 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Are Mfr's missing the boat on hydration?
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
I'm looking....and looking....and looking for a day pack to take to CO this fall.  I don't need anything too big, as we'll be returning to base camp, each night.  I've found a few I like....but VERY few of the ones I like have hydration bladders.  I'm figuring I'll need 64+0z./day.

Are the makers of these packs missing the boat?  Or, are hydration bladders (or the capability to accomodate them) over-rated?  I can't believe the latter is true.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Mfr's missing the boat on hydration?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Actually, there are other ways to carry water then the hydration bladders.  I have two 1.5 liter bottles that fit in my pockets on the Bison Gear pack.  I also carry a lite weight filter so we are good too go.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
wingnut:

Which pack...and what bottles?  To be honest, that's the pack I think I want.  But, why none of them are bladder-ready, kinda baffles me.  

Thanks for your help.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
The pack is the "lost river" and the bottles are some I picked up at REI.  Wide mouth, heavy plastic.  I've had them for 20 yrs.

http://www.rei.com/product/776181

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Eberlestock and Badlands both have designed in spots for carrying your hydration bladders and have different sizes of bladders available.  For mountain hunting my personal favorites are the Eberlestock packs.  You can check some of them out on my website, and there are other models available if you don't see exactly what you are looking for.

I really like the convenience of a hydration bladder over a water bottle.  With a bladder the hose is always handy, and I drink from it frequently.  Also, a bladder doesn't slosh around and make noise.  With a water bottle in many packs it is necessary to take the pack off in order to take a drink, and I think that can lead to not drinking enough.

Proper hydration is very important, especially so in tough mountain country.  I tend to go through a lot of water when I am moving and don't want to have to drop my pack to get at it.  If you prefer the bottles, at least make sure the pack has a pocket on the belt so that it is readily available.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Packs are like bows, no one will do it all. When planning my Australia trip last fall I settled on a Camelback as they are designed for hydration. Check out their website as they have so many packs that no retailer could carry them all.
hunt it

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Good advice Joe! I couldn't agree more, the inconvenience of having to take off a pack to drink will lead to not drinking enough. Easy access is the key!

Same reason I use a pack with a pocket on the waistbelt for my camera, if you have take your pack off to take a picture, you'll miss a lot of "photo opps"...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
What Joe said, there are plenty of packs out there that accomodate bladders.  I use the Badlands Diablo.

Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Same reason I use a pack with a pocket on the waistbelt for my camera, if you have take your pack off to take a picture, you'll miss a lot of "photo opps"...

That's a GREAT point, Guru...and thanks.  I plan on taking my "bigger" camera with me to CO (Canon Powershot - Pro)....and I've already invested in an 8G card.  I plan to shoot a LOT of photos.  Having it handy is a HUGE point to consider (for me).  I'd like to know what you're using, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

jeff

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I'll second the Badlands Diablo - lot's of room - cool - and a place for everything.

Matt

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Jeff, Eberlestock has what they call a MultiPak that is designed to strap on to the waist belt of the pack.  It is the perfect size for my full size Canon with lens and keeps the big camera handy at all times without having to remove my pack.  
Curt's point is a good one - I want easy access to both water and my camera.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I would suggest you look into folks who offer packs to the military or law enforcement - they all have hydration systems.  Check Blackhawk, Diamondback Tactical etc..  there are tons of them out there.  As far as I know most all Badlands packs are hydration ready - you got to look a little harder.  H

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
My Sitka Ascent pack has a slot for my insulated 2L Platypus (which is really big with the insulator around it) and it has a passthrough to get the tube to shoulder level on the pack shoulder strap. Chase uses a 2L cambelback insert in the top pocket of his Bison Gear First Trip Explorer and runs the tub up/over and attaches to the strap. My Bison Gear Lemhi also has a slot big enough to accomodate the Platy.

After using water bladders, especially the Platypus models, it's a good investment in my opinion...if only for the very point Curt made.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread Jeff, I'm taking notes!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I've owned and used several models of Badlands packs and they're good packs, but I really like the Eberlestock X2 for putting on miles in the mountains. It comes with a 3L hydration bladder, has a vented back for those of us (me) that sweat like crazy, and you can put a elk quarter in it on your first trip out. And the lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Levi, I agree with you on the X2 being a great pack in the mountains.  But just so nobody is confused, it does have places for two hydration bladders, but they are not included in the price but rather need to be ordered seperately.
Both the Eberlestock and Badlands packs have a lifetime warranty, (I'm sure some others probably do as well) and they really do stand behind it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Without seeming over dramatic, I want to emphasize the ability to pack a quarter on your first trip out of the woods. This may not be a big deal if you're using an outfitter that'll pack your game from the kill site, but if you're going it alone or with a DIY group this is key. After rereading your post I realize that you weren't necessarily soliciting advice, but it was clear that you hadn't yet made a purchase. You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you have to trek back to camp to get a frame  for packing meat - unless you're lucky and get something on the ground within a  mile from your camp   :thumbsup:  

If you're not a sweat-hog like me than the Badlands 2200 is also a good midsized pack that carries a quarter well. I really liked the hypervent as a daypack, but found out the hardway that it is NOT well suited for heavy loads. I strapped a hind quarter to a hypervent and slung antlers over the top for a first trip out and the load shifted quickly as I was manuvering through blowdowns. That weight shift sent me a$$ over tea kettle down a very nasty pitch with the elk getting his revenge the whole way!

Either way - good luck to you in finding a pack and better luck to you in Colorado!
Is it September yet?!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I have nothing against hydration systems, but I use a large wine bota as a water bottle in my daypack.  I don't find it a bother to take off my pack to get a drink.  In fact, I usually take a break to sit, snack, make notes, look around, etc. every couple of hours while hunting in the mountains.  I slip off my pack when I take a break. That's when I take a drink as well.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Great point bowfiend!  If you kill it deep in the stuff - you need to be able to pack it out.  The Badlands 2800 is also a good pack.  If you are feeling flush, check our Kifaru's stuff.  H

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I like the hydration bladders also.I also agree about the camera pocket.I bought a couple seperate pockets by Gregory that have velcro straps and you can attach them to either the shoulder strap or waist belt.

I am partial to the fleece or wool packs because they are quieter and most don't have a bladder pocket,unfortunatelt.

How quiet are the Sitka packs?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©