3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Mfr's missing the boat on hydration?  (Read 529 times)

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Mfr's missing the boat on hydration?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
What happens with these pacs when it freezin cold out? You have all this cold water strapped on your back?
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
I use a portale camelback blatter, and can put it in any pack and clip it over my right shoulder for a quick quench.

I DO NOT like water bottles....I CANNOT stand sloshing water while I'm walking let alone stalking.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I have used bladders before, but I quit.  I now carry 2 plastic water bottles that I can reach without taking the pack off.  Access is important as noted.  Many packs in many size have these pockets.

I buy a case of of bottled water before a long trip and always carry two bottles with me.   One is just water, the other I mix with propel or gateraid packets.   I love water, but I can get tired of just water after several days on a long trip.  Yes, you can mix the flavored stuff in the bladder, but then you are stuck with that flavor - even after you drink it.

If I need the space, I crush the bottle after use and replace it with the next one from the case.  I also refill the bottles until they are shot and have never used up the case even in a two week hunt.

I also hate to clean bladders.  The have a taste to them even if you do a good job.  The also leak at the worst time.  Yes they do. :-)

I have never had the problem with noise while walking that Terry mentioned.  Though I could be deaf, walk too slow, or Terry walks too fast :-)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Another vote for the Badlands Diablo.  For day hunting it is perfect and it will work for a single overnighter.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Another vote for the Badlands Diablo.  For day hunting it is perfect and it will work for a single overnighter.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I keep an "aftermarket" hydration bladder in the main area of my Lost River pack and run the tube out the top to my left shoulder where it is attached to the pack strap.  It is right there when needed.

I can't recall if there is an small apperture in the pack (I THINK there is) to allow the tube out, or if I just arrange the zipper so that it leaves a small gap.

It works fine that way.  You can probably carry two gallons that way is you wish to.

A bladder pack also collapses as you drink, making a bit less noise as you move.  I like that better than bottles, although I also use them at times.
ChuckC

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I have a Badlands SuperDay pack and a 100oz bladder made by Badlands also.  The bladder leaked from the seal at the tube connextion and soaked me on a cold snowy November day this year so I took the bladder out of one of my CamelBaks and used it instead.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
The bladder pouch on the X2 is on the side, as to not draw heat from your body when it's cold. The tubes on the bladders from Eberlestock are insulated in an attempt to prevent them from freezing, but they're gonna freeze if it gets too cold. I've not yet had problems with the tubes freezing during archery elk season. Late season whitetails is another story...
Is it September yet?!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I have a water bottle that has a built in filter system.  You fill it up as needed and drink through the bite tube in the lid.  Pour out the rest and you are not carrying any weight.  I use it mostly for fishing and wouldn't be any good if youre not around a water source.  I forget the name but I bought it at REI.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Every pack is hydration compatible if ya make it so!

I never use the cheap thin bladders that come with most packs.  I have killed more camelbacks than I can count.  I use a MSR Dromedary lite.  Dang near indestructible.

I also extend the hoses in many cases.

I also agree that water that isn't easy to access is water you won't drink when you need to.  The "high country hangover" is bad enough without dehydration added to it.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Guys...I appreciate the responses.  I've looked into the Badlands Diablo...and it looks like it has everything I need/want.  I've found a site that offers the pack; hydration bladder (105oz); "S" clip and includes shipping, for $149.00.

I've also inquired with one of the board sponsors that carries them.

Thanks, again.

jeff

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Here's what I use:  http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hands-free-hydration/hoser/product  
Fits all my large and small packs.  Much tougher than the camelback bladder I used to use.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I'll be purchasing from Mr. Whip (Prarie Traditions), today.  

Again....I thank you all for your help (and PM's).  Much appreciated!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm not sure what blatters are not easily accessable....Mine has a long tube that runs out of my back, and I can clip it over my right shoulder....nothing easier for a refresh that I've found. I can sip without letting go of my hand to unscrew a lid.  Just take my right hand and flip it up to my mouth without even taking my eyes of the horizon.

Ask Joe Coots about his plastic water bottle and bottle rocket antelope!!!   :eek:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
rei  

There are several different ways to deal with hydration.

One is the camel back type systems; another is containers and water purity 'pills'- chemicals to take care of the water - but not for taste!

Another way is to have a filtration system. I have used filter straws; where an aquarium type filter is on a plastic straw. You can carry those in a pocket and they are there for an emergency.

There are also kind of elaborate filtering systems- but they do have an advantage- as they weigh very little; but can provide filtered water for an entire trip.

I like to drink water; but sucking it out of a rubber tube; or the filter straw may keep me hydrated; but it never seems to quench my thirst.
 I like filters that allow you to fill a plastic container- or a collapsible container that won't slosh.

That way I can glug the water down and feel like I have quenched my thirst.

If you have a non filter system and need water- best to have a back up of some kind.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline lucznik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I have found only three problems with hydration bladders

1.  As has been alluded to already, in really cold weather the water will freeze in the tube. You can mitigate this somewhat by blowing the water that remains in the tube after you take a drink back into the main bladder.  This helps but, not for very long.

2.  In really hot weather the water in the tube can get very, very warm and unpleasant to taste.  Again you can mitigate this problem somewhat with the same technique outlined above.

3.  The fact that getting a drink is so easy results in your drinking more.  This is good.  However, this also means that you run out of water a lot faster.  This means that you have to plan on carrying more water than you normally would have and that water can prove very heavy.

In general, I like bladders though, I still keep a nalgene bottle nestled in a metal cup in my pack as a supplement.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Yep, I lost a gimmie shot on an antelope a couple year's ago at Vance's place. I had a plastic water bottle in the cargo pocket of my pants, I was kneeling hunkered low, when I raised a bit to draw, the bottle "crinkled" the slightest bit....goat evaporation. Never again, bladders for me now, specifically the platypus since I found those.

Lucznik:

1) & 2) The Platypus insulated system includes a very thick heavily insulated tube and pouch that really helps minimize both of these problems. Also, on a regular uninsulated tube, a short puff on the valve will push the water back down the tube and then a bit of extra suction as you drink draws it back up.

3)Yep, no real way around that one.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Jeff, What pack do you choose from Joe?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I'd found a deal on a Diablo (Badlands) on the net.  I contacted Joe (gave him the details) and he unbelievably said he'd match it.  That's really cool of him.  

Here's the "rest of the story", too.  He ordered another one (for stock)...to see if the accessory pouch would fit it (looking for somewhere to put my big(ger) camera).  That's top-notch CS, huh?

The Diablo has a 105oz bladder.  Now......if someone would tell me I could use the Propel packets to mix with my water....I'd be REALLY excited....lol.  I'm only assuming that would be a cleaning nightmare (please someone tell me I'm wrong).

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Badlands "Diablo" gets my vote.  I actually have 2 different size bladders and change them around depending on the time of year and distance back to camp or truck. [ Sept. chasing Mulies more water.. Nov. and Dec. elk not as much ] :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©