3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sure sign of spring  (Read 312 times)

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
Sure sign of spring
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
With the amount of snow we've had so far this year, it's been a looong winter.  

I was headed to a site yesterday AM when I spotted a flock of Turkeys out in a field of cut corn.  Low and behold, there were 4 birds in full strut!!  I doubled back and watched them for a couple minutes, what a GREAT sight to see; first strutters of the year.

Saturday AM will find me up on one of the ridges at first light listening for gobbles.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sure sign of spring
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Believe it or not they have been engaged in light strutting for a month and are just starting to fight  way up here.I dont doubt that they will be breeding within the next couple of weeks.I am very fortunate to have a large flock in an unhuntable woodlot bout 100 yards from my station and I get to see them multiple times a day.Cardinals are a singin and muskrats are a traveling, spring is upon us.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I saw some sunshine last week for the first time in I don't know how long... TURKEYS! I can't wait.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
we have robins and I have caught 3 groundhogs trapping!  Cant wait to get at them turks
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I had 5 longbeards stroll through the yard the other day.Fine table fair and arrow fletching.C'mon May 1st.

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
There's over a foot of snow on the ground here, and they were all puffed up and gobbling yesterday.  I can't wait!

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I saw my first robins today. That always makes me happy. Also saw two longbeards and four jakes strutting several weeks ago. I talked to a guy the other day who said he walked out of his house the other morning and heard birds gobbling. It's been a long winter, I'm ready to hear some gobbling myself. It's coming.
Jim

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
We have 14 inches of snow here still. I'm sooo tired of snow I can't stand it. We had over 70" at the base of the mountain this year I can't amagine how bad it was up higher. Saw 2 turkeys working a little seep out in a field yesterday morning and almost ran off the road just looking at them! Can't wait 2 get outside to shoot my bow.
GLENN

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Just Remember... Use A Heavy Arrow For Them Toms!

Welcome Spring Time!  :jumper:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I saw 2 or 3 tom's in full strut in a bean field down the road from my house yesterday. They had probably 10 hen's with them. Very cool site! Unfortunately I can't hunt there!  :(   Jason

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Drove by a fair sized flock of birds last Saturday, including one tom in strut.  I've had very poor luck in the past so I will not be chasing them this spring.  I can't afford the time.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Yahoo! Yes! I can tell that spring is almost here, the deer are starting to come up into the yard. You can see a couple of them here. Enjoy !!!!

lol!!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I can't wait until April!!!!!! Gobble......Gobble!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
A sure sign of spring around here is when the tobacco spit thaws on the side of the pickup.

Ain't happened yet. Still knee deep snow but my driveway is startin' to show.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Yup.  Saw a red shouldered hawk return to a pristine little piece of swamp where I got pictures of the pair mating last spring…and a pair of geese, below, has already staked their claim. Herons and osprey remain on the watch list and the promise of Spring is about to unfold...can hardly wait to see the herring come inland. Unfortunately, I’ll be side-lined to camera-hunting this spring, but I plan on walking a lot of ground…always good therapy. Rick.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Yup...got home from work Friday morning at 6am...walking the dog and a Tom started gobbling out back. A few minutes later he was joined by 2 other toms. They worked their way about 100 yds from the house sounding off every 2-3 minutes. Talk about getting pumped...May can't come soon enough.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Still seeing them up teh road at someones bird feeder but cant wait to get one with the bow.  Nothin like a gobblin turkey up close in the woods.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
The first sign of spring here in Missouri are the Caterpillars blooming on the hillsides.

;)
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Everything is greening up here, turkeys are gobbling and the crappie are in shallow water.
bolong

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Strutting for about three weeks now here in California...
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©