3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad Hog hunt and bow class. . .WE'RE BACK!!!!  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dryad Hog hunt and bow class. . .WE'RE BACK!!!!
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Did anyone else notice that it was only the Dryad bows that made meat on this hunt?

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Wow Rick, I missed that.  I also find it interesting that the only hunter who bought snake boots for this trip got hit by a rattler.  Then there was the Alligator, oh and then the frozen king snake in the bus.  Poor Herb, he'll never look at a reptile in the same way again I doubt.   :goldtooth:  
Sure wish He'd get on here and tell them stories. That guy's got to have some good ones.
got arrows?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Why yes I did!!  LOL

So the next time everyone needs to hunt with Dryad Bows so they too can shoot a pig.  LOL

This commercial message brought to you by Dryad Bows.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Glad to see you fellas had a great time! Derek, I knew it would change your perspective in some new way. It sure did mine when I hunted down there. Glad you got to experience it and take it all in. It truly is sensory overload sittin out there in that TX jungle.

Nice pig too by the way bro! Still after my first!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
WEll I gotta tell ya when Curtis asks ya for a beer you should be on guard.  Here a setup for Herb was planned and executed well.  

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v79/mwestvang/tradgang%20pics/?action=view¤t=Movie_0001.flv

Herb was a good sport and didn't wet himself on camera.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Ya can't beat fun at the old hog camp!!  Best be careful with Curtis around you never know what is in store.

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
*chuckles*
got arrows?

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
oh yeah, another first for me was seeing some "hog sign".  Namely the rooted up areas.  They where everywhere, and it reminded me of ground that has gotten the once over by my dad's rototiller.  They sure could put some serious hurt on a farmer and I shudder to think what they would do to an oregon replanted hillside after a clear cut.
got arrows?

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Hey Derek, think about this..there noses are soft (the fleshy part)and furry and they do all that deep rooting with their noses. Kinda wild huh?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
When you read this you think that there weren't that many hogs in the area.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  The place is overrun with hogs.  The problem is they are also overrun with dew berrys this time of year.  They look and taste like a northern blackberry and the hogs were gorging themselves on them every chance they got.  Also we had a near full moon and hot days.  The pigs were feeding at night and then again midday when we were working on bows.  Dang unethical critters.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
So if there noses are so soft...how do they break ground?  I mean, once they get it started I can see how they'd use the top bridge of there nose to move dirt, but the soft fleshy part of the nose?  I guess just cause it's soft and fleshy doesn't mean it has a lot of nerv endings. *shrugs*
got arrows?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Congrats on the hogs and the FUN  :D    :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I don't know, it's always suprised me. One time a ranch hand in Texas showed me how good of smell the hogs have and how well they can dig. He took a 22 and popped a rabbit. Dug a hole in front of my brush blind and buried it about a foot deep. Then he moved over about 6 feet and dug another hole and put about a coffee can full of corn in it and filled it back in. The next morning when I came to the blind there were a couple of big holes and both the rabbit and corn were gone.
Totally amazing.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
That's why we had to put a ring in the noses of the breeding stock when I was growing up.  They'd tear up a pasture in no time.  The only thing I remember that they wouldn't eat is Gypsum Weed.  Everything else is gone.  They'd root their way under a fence in a heart-beat, and forget about haveing a pond that wasn't destroyed.  It just wouldn't happen.

And they would eat anything -- literally!

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
So THAT's what the rings in the noses are about.  Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Micky, I have been told over and over at how amazing thier sense of smell is.  When that sounder of pigs came in on me they stuck around even after I shot my pig.  It was just the slightest little tickle of a breeze at my back that finaly sent them out for good.  Oh and thanks for reminding me about the tricinosis. ;-)

*sigh* I wish I was back at hog camp instead of dealing with impatient people at work.
got arrows?

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
That's a funny vid! Ya thing thats why Herb hasn't showed up?  :bigsmyl:  

Pigs nose is "soft", as in "pliable". There's nothing stronger pound for pound than a pigs nose. I see BoBo do some incredible things with his nose. He has a fixation on elect cords, hoses, etc also. Not that it has anything to do with his nose.  :p   CK

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
cool pic gator breathe...lol..marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Why am I surprised that BoBo likes electrical cords.  I remember something to do with a home-made fletcher...................

:biglaugh:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
CK do you think BoBo sees them as snakes? I've heard pigs hate snakes and will go out of there way to destroy them..

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Naww, he's just a mischevious little kid. What is funny is that he's always talking when he's around. Tries to make mean noises when he doesn't get his way. It's always a bluff. I get a laugh every time. CK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©