3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad Hog hunt and bow class. . .WE'RE BACK!!!!  (Read 4023 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dryad Hog hunt and bow class. . .WE'RE BACK!!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
PICS PLEASE  :readit:    :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
I suspect Mikes getting some much needed beauty sleep.....   :D  Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
Sorry guys!  I crashed out and just now woke up.  Not much sleep in pig camp.  LOL

Well lets start from the beginning.

Back in Sept of 1951 I was born in a small town in Washington state.  My dad says a was a good looking kid considering the gene pool. . ..

Oh you probably don't want to go back quite that far.  Let's see. . .

Wednesday morning Jason and I saddled up the truck, through in the small kitchen and headed south at near mach one.  Man I like the little changes we made to the truck engine.  But that's a different tale.  Curtis had told us to call when we got close to Victoria.  We were going in the day ahead of the rest of the guys to get setup and ready to hunt hogs and build bows.

Five hours and change later we were pulling into the WalMart in Victoria for some food stuffs and a few personal items.  Jason saw the Thermacells and asked if I thought they really worked and if we should get some.  I finally relented and we picked up two sets.

Off we went again headed for the ranch.  I called Curtis and he said that a pig had fallen that morning and he was finishing up the butchering as we talked.  I'll let him fill in that story.

We pulled into camp a few minutes later and got unloaded and the kitchen setup.  Curtis took us over to the barn and we got the work stations laid out and soon ran outta things to do.  So back to camp we go.  Curtis asked if we wanted to sit a stand tonight and we quickly camo'd up and off we go.

Need coffee now and to get Jason to download the pics.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
There you go.  Keep it coming Mike!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Jason is downloading as I type so we should start getting some pics soon.

Anyway Curtis sends us into a couple of hot spots for the evening.  In fact, he sends me to his honey hole.   You know the one with the big wallow by the two poles that we have seen on the pig threads.  Yep I got to hunt that one.  It was a just a little unnerving as I followed his directions in and crossed a huge gator slide and then had to wade the creek 100 yds away.  Not too bad going in the the light but coming back out in the dark it got the blood pressure to peg just a little.

I settled in the blind among the palmettos and waited.  As the magic 1/2 hour approached between it's getting dark and it's too dark.  Things began to move in the jungle behind me.  In fact, something was coming but not down the trail I was watching.  It was coming through the brush and right at me.  The only thing wrong was it was directly behind me and I had no way to turn. Finally it popped out of the brush and moved off.  All I got was a quick look and it was the first Nutria I'd ever seen but it was kinda cool.

The next few minutes passed too quickly and the hogs I could hear off in the brush never materialized when I had enough light.  So I slipped out as quietly as a guy my size can and met up with Jason back at the truck.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
Yea, This trip seemed to be a long time in the making. Fortunately, Mike and Jason were two of the first to jump in on the Bowyer Hunts I'd started offering way back. It had taken many months to materialize and I was growing impatient with the calender. Finally the dates neared and I began to make arrangments to accomodate everyone. I'd done everything from preping hunting sites to checking the far barn for accomodations for the bow classes. I was excited to meet everyone and to share what we've been enjoying on these two ranches.

As the final morning before the hunt arrived I'd set out to once again check the hog sign in relation to hunting stands. Things looked good. I mean REAL GOOD! It would seem that there was pig sign under every foot fall. There were literally areas where pigs had rooted everything, even the area adjacent the highway at the main gate. As the mid-day hour rolled around I thought I'd check a creek crossing I'd recently found and see if the pigs were still using it since the water level had fallen a little. The crossing was still being well used I'd later come to find but before I'd reach it I'd first have to wade through a few pigs. I'd actually noticed them feeding in a field as I drove into the ranch and they simply ended up in the same area as I did a little later. I'd not noticed them until I saw a little tail wag not 15 yards in front of me. Just then the wind switched and the first hog blew out. My target quickly changed and the second hog found himself impaled with a foreign object, my arrow. The blood trail would be a short one judging by shot placement but I'd return to get Sassy. She has turned out to be a piggy trailing addict and I needed to give her a fix.

As I returned to camp the cell phone rang and it was Mike on the other end, "we're at Wal Mart, do we need anything special", Mike askes. Naw, just maybe a bag of ice to cool the hog I just shot. LOL! Shortly thereafter Mike and Jason entered camp nestled comfortably in the big diesel sled. We'd head off to prepare things for tomorrows bow class and the evening hunt ahead. CK

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
HI Gang!  I got home at 1 am PST last night...sans LUGGAGE! Apperently being able to READ isn't a prerequisite for working at a united ticket desk, because despite the fact the guy was looking at my drivers lic. he booked my luggage under some one elses name and sent them to a different state!  I am just up and headed off to pick up my kids and then to work. I'll have some time this morning to tell tales and post some pics.

Derek
got arrows?

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Now we're getting somewhere, don't slow down on us. I think this is going to be good.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
"This thread has a lot of kinetic energy, but lets see a little momentum!!" Says the man with the penetrating sense of humor.  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Man I am getting the jitters waiting. Lets see some pics and keep the good storytelling goin'. Come on guys. Hellllllllooooooo. Anyone there?????
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Back for a couple of minutes.  Gotta run to town and get sandpaper and go to the usps.  

Anyway Here is what we drove into as we got to camp.

And the little fellow that was swimming around in the stream I had to wade after dark.  Now it's hard to tell how big he is but my guess would be 7 ft.

Be back in a while to fill in.  Hopefully others will be getting home and chiming in.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
It was a trip of Firsts for me.  My first out of state hunting trip to start.  I packed my bags and set out on Wed. at about 9:30 PST.  The most remarkable thing about the flights from Oregon to San Antonio was how unremarkable they were.  I landed in San Antonio at around 10:30.  I got my Car rental, baggage, and drove to Victoria.  I arrived at about 1:00 AM!  I got my hotel room and CRASHED big time.  I then got up around 7:00, checked out and drove to Wal-Mart.  There I ran into three of the four other hunters! We all sat around a jawed a bit, then decided to caravan out to the ranch, Herb and Rick were leading.  We got there a little before Curtis and we set to more talkin' and general getting to know each other.  The wild flowers were EVERY where!  The warm humid air felt really good to me for a change of pace from the very wet cold spring I had been suffering through in Oregon.  Mike and Jason showed up soon, and then Curtis drove up to the gate and we all got to meet him.  I knew right away I was going to like Mike, Jason, and Curtis very much!  We all drove into camp and quickly unpacked.  Every one was so excited to get going we totaly forgot about eating and went to the barn to start working on our bows...

*I am exhausted this morning, and in my daze, I have forgotten my cord to Down load pictures from my camera to the computer.  You all are just gonna have to wait till tonight Pacific time.*
got arrows?

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Sorry Gang, My computer has been struggling with the satellite provider all day. The weather here held out long enough to get us through the Dryad Hunt and then opened up and has dumped on us. Better post this before I loose reception again. CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
OK, Looks like I might get a break in the storms for a few minutes.

It's funny how the most impacting virtues of any hunt I go on manifests themselves through smells of the hunting areas and also the food on the hunt. This hunt was no different although I am on these two ranches very often. As the first evening drew closer to darkness I found myself deep within the smells of the swamp. I'd shared one of my personal honey holes with Mike while I also shared a great spot with Jason as well. After sending them to their respective locations I could only daydream about the sights and smells that they too were experiencing. I knew quite well that the hogs were very close to both of their locations and I waited patiently for their return. Even around hunting camp is always a special time no matter if it's your first time in camp or you make your living there. I looked forward to tonights tales and looked even more forward to helping Mike and Jason skin a hog or two.

Darkness fell very soon and I could hear the big diesel of Mikes approaching. It seemed it was too early if they'd taken a hog and I was soon to find that my thoughts were correct. Both Mike and Jason had a good evening hunt with Mike being the only one with any close encounters. I'd completely forgotten about the gators that enjoy the area Mike had hunted and was quickly reminded once he returned to camp. An evening meal was served and we spent little time chatting before all were fast asleep. Tomorrow would dawn a new day and fill out little camp with a larger band of brothers from faraway places. I was ready to begin this hunt. CK

PS. My camera broke while on the hunt and I have no pictures to share.

Offline John Sturtevant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Curtis.....I suppose that was a footed shaft of Al’s you shot the pig with?
I think that may have been his lucky arrow...
Until he lost it.
Then it was your lucky arrow.   :)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
That indeed was a footed shaft of Al's. I think Ted Fry found in on a mesa top on the Pecos Ranch during the Texas Sweat. The tip was curled so I tanto'd it and put a rasors edge on it. I figured I couldn't go wrong shooting an arrow with "Al's" name and home phone number on it.  :goldtooth:   CK

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
I was so amazed at the number and colors of the beautiful flowers I saw in South Texas.  

got arrows?

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
As I said, we unpacked and put our stuff in "the bus" where we were sleeping. In "the bus" was 4 beds racks, a shower, toilet, sink and A/C.  It was all one could ask for.  

From there we headed out to "the barn" to get to work on our bows.  I haven't done any wood work since 7th grade shop, and boy, it was obvious.  Its a darn good thing Mike and Jason were both very patient and also very good teachers.  

They would give me instruction on what to do next on the bow, and I'd get to work.  Here I am working on a kids bow.  This bow is going to a very special 10 year old girl I know.  

...well, it's bed time for this guy.  I'll continute the story in the morning.  
Derek
got arrows?

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Keep it coming guys!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©