3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad Hog hunt and bow class. . .WE'RE BACK!!!!  (Read 4022 times)

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dryad Hog hunt and bow class. . .WE'RE BACK!!!!
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
More please    :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Hey great Derek is on line with his pics.  As you can see soon after everyone got in camp we headed to the workshop (barn) and got started.  This was the first time we had offered a TD version on the blank and soon found out that it's not good to mix both the one piece and takedown in a single class.  Too much hurry and wait for the guys.  We did manage to get all of the TD sleeves fitted that afternoon and get back to camp in time to camo up and hit the blinds for an evening of wait and watch.

I'll let the others tell there individual stories so here's mine for the evening.  Curtis changed my location because my near dark vision really sucks.  He put me in a blind on the edge of an opening in the jungle.  There is a "deer box" and feeder set up here so the area is quite large (200 yds, across and maybe 150yds long).  I settled into the blind and set up my Thermacell.  The bugs started to leave 10 minutes later except they kept attacking my head.  Finally figured out that if I put the cell on my lap it kept them out of my ears too.

There was a gobbler thumping away down the hill to my left and as soon as the sun slipped over the horizon, the deer were everywhere.  I had one doe stand in my shot lane at least 10 times.  But as darkness crept in the pigs did not show.

I headed out to the farm road and started the walk back to the truck.  Soon Jason and Rick joined me and we shared out stories of the evening while walking.  I soon became fond of these walks through the woods with the guys with the whispered conversations or just comfortable silence.

As we reached the farm and the trucks we powwow’d a bit and found that no arrows were loosed at hogs tonight.  And that everyone had a story of close encounters with deer and stuff.

We headed back to camp where Curtis had a great stew ready for the evening meal.  We had a great meal drank a few adult beverages and off to bed.  0500 comes very soon in hunting camp.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Third hunt...We all walked to our prospective blinds about 6:00 p.m. Mine was near a feeder with a big wallow under it that was obviously getting pounded daily so I was sure that I would be seeing something  shortly.
An couple of hours had passed and as afternoon wore on I drew back a couple of times and realized that my 66" brackenbury needed to be about 6" shorter to make the shot I was set up for. So I crawled out the blind to cut a few more palmettos to beef up my background cover, shifted a yard or two over and turned halfway around so I could get a clearer shot.
 About the time I got settled down again. I heard a twig snap and out the corner of my eye I see a bright orange 100# hog pop out of the tall grass about 10-15 yards behind me. dangit.. he was already walking on a beeline to me so I just kind leaned over and hoped that he would turn and go to the feeder. He doesnt go that way and instead slowly walks over and approaches the blind with my back still to him. He leans over and takes in a long whiff of me from about 24" away then he does this crazy little dance for a second and sniffs again hard. One more time he sniffs long, dances, and then he whirls and takes off. After about 15 minutes I see him again about 50 yards off and slowly moving my way again.
This time I am ready and it is looking good. When he is about 25 yards away I hear a sound behind me (downwind) and I glance and see 3 does 30 feet behind me. At that moment one of them starts blowing like crazy and that hog froze in his steps for a second and high tailed it. Those deer hung around for 10-15 minutes blowing at me with a real attitude till dark at which time I slinked out there. Next time.....
trying to locate camera cord for pics.
Thanks so much to Curtis, Mike, Jason, Herb, Derek, Rick, and Sassy for making the trip so much fun.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
After the bow making, we went back to the camp, had some cold drinks, and got dressed in our camo to head out to hunt.  Curtis took us out and we sat.  I walked into my blind and immediatly was assaulted by a buzzing swarm of blood sucking mesquitos.  I pulled out my thermacell like some sorta quickdraw artist, and that baby fired up!  Then I had to fend off the "skeeters" for about five minuets till it got warmed up.  Once it did get going, I never had any problems with Mesquitos or any bugs for that matter.  Unlike Mike, I was able to set my thermacell under my chair and never had anything buzz anywhere near me.  
  My first blind was situated along some sort of stagnant canal or creek.  

After sitting there for a while, I couldn't help but think about that 7 foot alligator we saw, and I kept looking over my shoulder half expecting to see one peeking up at me or worse, silently slipping out of the water up to me!    :scared:    
The blind was near a bedding area and I was hunting over one of the ranch's back roads.  

I didn't see any hogs that night, but I did see some amazing things.  I saw my first Cardinal, but one of the best parts of the hunt for me was the fullfilment of a dream I have had for a long time now.  I saw my very first Fireflys!!!  I was sitting there and just after the sun set, I cought this glimmer out of the corner of my eye.  At first I thought it was some shiny piece of aluminum foil that had been left perhaps, and it had moved in the wind causing it to shine then stop.  Without moving from my chair, I looked for it, but couldn't see it.  Then suddenly there was this glowing little light!  WOW! My mind flooded with the realization of what it must be and I was grinning like a cheshire cat in a fish store!  Hogs forgotten, I sat and happily watched the private light show that was beggining for my personal amusment.  
I didn't see any hogs that night, but I didn't make a sound when I walked out of there in the dark because I was on air.  
  Another first for me was to stumble accross my first Armadillo.  What a fascinating little creature.  Still, I am amazed at how a thing that can't seem to hear, see, or smell can survive as long as they have!  You can just walk up to one and pick it up!

I sat that blind two more hunts, but no hogs were in the area.  Happily, my luck changed on Saturday night...

Derek
got arrows?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Morning hunt on Friday.  We rolled out at 0500 and gulpped down some coffee.  Time to go and we were back in the truck.  Counted noses to make sure everyone was inside and off we go.  Derek was the first out of the truck and off to his blind.  The rest of us parked at the barn and walked quietly as the first light of dawn broke.  As I turned to go down the trail towards my blind, I saw a whitetail doe eating along the path.  She caught my movement and was off with flag waving wildly.  Then a movement caught my eye a bit further down.  HOGS!!  I went into stealth mode and got hog small.  Creaping along I checked the wind.  HMMMM kinda swirly but so far so good.  I closed to 50 yds and got a good look at a hog in the 250 class.  Others were moving in the tall grass but I couldn't make em out.  Then they took a turn to the right and melted into the jungle.  I slipped into the spot as quiet as I could but couldn't hear or see em.

I decided to not take a chance on bumping them in the thick and was thinking they would be back to check the feeder down the hill past my blind.  I got to the blind a few minutes later to find pig tracks inside.  Hmmmm!  Who's hunting who?

Saw a few deer and heard a turkey again.  But know hogs.  I was very jazzed as I headed out later though.  I knew they would be back and then it would be my turn.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Bard so far your account has been the most entertaining. We take a lot of things for granted, like cardinals and fireflies. Glad to see yourecieved so much enjoyment from them. And your first armored dillo too! That's cool   :thumbsup:

Ok on with the hunting tales
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Come on guys , I am only here for two more days , do ya think we could pick up the pace?
I second what Mickey said, thats one of the grand things about hunting out of your element and in different places , you get a broader perspective and see new things.
For us in the Northwest its getting to go to the Mid west and hunt whitetail , for the guys in the mid west its getting to go out west to hunt mule deer and elk . Bard I also remember my first Cardinal as well as my first Armadillo.Good stuff guys , keep it coming

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
We need to get Herb on here to tell about his "surprise".

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Yeah Herb! tell us all about the "surprise"! *mischevious grin*
got arrows?

Offline BONE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Mickey--I was about to post the same thoughts that you did--beat me to it. Bard1 you made me think about how much I take for granted by living down here. Keep the story going   :clapper:  ---Bone

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
...the great thing about the bow making and hunting is that there was alwasy something to do.  We never had hours and hours to kill between hunts just sitting around.  We'd drive out to the barn and get working, then drive back, and get ready to hunt.  On Saturday I changed location.  My new spot had that "feel" about it.  It just felt right.  I wasn't there long before four bucks showed up and set to nibbling corn.  They spent solid half hour not 8 yards from me.  I took lots of pictures and though they saw some of my movement tney never winded me or spooked.  

They left after a while and I got to watch a large bird that was such a dark navy blue they were almost black and had longish tail feathers.  They were smaller then crows.  I found out later they were Mocking birds...another first for me.  
Still no hogs showed that day, and I walked out.
   In the evening I carefully walked back in to the blind.  I had heard there was a racoon in the area, and we were under orders to kill on sight.  I ran into one of the bucks on the road in, and he went off without a sound thankfully.  at the last corner of the road before the blind, I carefully looked and sure enough there was the coon in broad daylight.  He was digging in a hole and when ever he stuck his head down in  it, I'd move in on him.  It was going perfect and I had closed to about 25 yards.  I debated shooting, but felt that I could get closer for a "sure thing" shot with but a few steps more.  Down went the coons head, and I took another step.  A deer beded just beside the hunting blind in the thick stuff saw that, jumped up blew his alarm and bounded off and away.  This then alerted the coon.  I froze in place when the deer made his noise, and watched hoping the coon would stay.  Mr. coon watched the deer leave and you could see the wheels in his head working as he was debating if he should stay or go as well.  In the end he decided not to push his luck, and he ran off...RIGHT through my blind! doh!  as quietly as I could I snuck into my blind and waited.  I was sure he didn't know I was there, and figured he'd be back before dark.  He never did though.  Still, my night was only beggining.
got arrows?

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I agree with what Mickey said also.  My trip down to South Texas with Curtis two years ago was an amazing experience.  The bird life is very diverse.  I had Blue Quail and Green Jays all over the place.  Bob Whites were plentiful also.  Got stalked by an Indigo snake and spent time admiring the Road Runners.  Had a Mexican Eagle watching me from a nearby dead snag.  The only "Dilla" I saw was road kill, and I was disapointed in that, and I missed seeing any Javies even though there were tracks all over the place.  I think I saw more coyotes in one afternoon than I had previously in my whole life.

Being in a different place really lets you see unique things.  I love it.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Well we headed back to camp for some breakfast.  Jason was in his glory and served up a feast of hashbrowns (southern style), bacon, eggs with cheese and salsa.  All on a tortilla.  We call it GLOP because that's the sound it makes hitting the plate.  LOL

After breakfast, we were back at the bow shop (barn) and busy getting the glue on the two piece bows and making headway on tiller on the one pieces.  Everyone made significant progress with two of the bows shooting at full draw off the knuckle by the time we had to go hunt again.

I think Derek has a bunch of pics of the goings on.  

Some of the guys made progress on the two piece bows after the epoxy was set and got their nocks cut in and got ready to tiller tomorrow.

4:00 came very quickly and we were once again back at camp dressing for the evening hunt.

My anticipation meter was pegged after seeing hogs this morning and the mess they made rooting the ground up in front of my blind.  I just knew they would be back tonight.

So off we go again to the ranch, park the truck and walk back to the blinds.  I settled in about 6:00 and didn't have long before things started to happen.  The gobbler that had been hanging around started to make a racket 100 yds down the hill and as the sun hit the very tops of the trees the whitetail appeared out of the dense forest to pick at the greenery around the clearing.  When the sun left the tree above me, I heard a soft grunt behind me 50 yds or so.  I thought here we go.  Soon the soft grunt turned into a pig fight with squeeling and grunting.  I could tell there were both adult and small pigs in the bunch but couldn't see them.  They were approaching the feeder down the hill from directly behind my blind.

I was afraid to move knowing that they would see me a get out of dodge.  So frozen in place I sat as the sound grew louder.  Then out of the corner of my eye a flash of black as a pig moved around the blind.  I checked the wind quickly to find it quartering ahead of the pigs and just beyond the shot window.  I'd better shoot the first one in or the whole thing would go south.

The lead hog was now in view though the palmettos.  It is a sow and big.  I think it's the same pig that gave me the slip this morning.
Two more steps and it's behind the thick screen of palmettos I placed this morning so I'd be able to draw.  As the arrow slipped back to anchor the pig hurried through the window and caught my scent.  A loud grunt and she took a sharp right turn, not away from me but at me.  I heard here coming and she cleared the brush about 12 ft. away on the other side of a fallen tree.  I stayed focused on the shot window as another smaller hog stepped in and hesitated.  The arrow was away but the hog jumped the string and the arrow struck back and high.  A wild flurry of running pigs and grunting in the thick stuff behind me.  Then all was quiet.

Reviewing the shot in my head, I remember a red mist from the pig after impact.  Could I have once again lucked out and hit the big artery int he back?  A long 15 minutes passed before I slipped out of the blind and out to the spot.  BLOOD!  That's good.  I placed an arrow in the ground at this spot as Curtis had requested.  Turning to the direction of excape.  I see a large patch of red five yard away and after moving to it, another and another then my arrow covered in bright red arterial blood.  I know the drill now and that the pig is down not far away.  I called Curtis on the cell to tell him the good news and to find out if he wanted to use the trail for training on Sassy.  He asked that I back off and said he'd see me after dark.

So back to the blind I go, kicking by feet out and leaning back to enjoy the next 30 minutes as darkness creeps in.  Just before it gets dark a turkey goes to roost in the tree above me and scares the heck out of me.  LOL

More in a little while after I get back from Ft. Worth.

Mike

S
Mike Westvang

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Great story fellas. Keep it coming!   :thumbsup:  I always love to hear the stories of hunts. It sure is nice to see hunters who care more about the hunt than the kill. What a wonderful thing it is just to be out there and enjoy it for what it is meant to be...fun! Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I went into stealth mode and got hog small.
:saywhat:  
  :bigsmyl:  

What a wonderful thing it is just to be out there and enjoy it for what it is meant to be...fun!  
You have no idea how nice it is to have hunters enjoy "the hunt"........ CK

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
*well thought I had another client, but seems they forgot me.    "[dntthnk]"   So...on with the stories!  

I guess I can see where some people would have been dissapointed at this point in the hunt.  It's the last night and I haven't seen hide nor hair of a pig.  Not even sure I have heard any.  Others had seen pigs, and Mike had even taken one at this point.  However, I wasn't upset at all.  I was having a blast just being there.  I had seen so many wonderful things and learned so much, not just about hunting or bow making but about life.  Not to mention I was loving the comraderie.  Camp time was always filled with smiles and laughter.  So it was with this light heartedness that I waited.  Not sure on the time, but I heard a symphany of cracking branches and rustling brush as a group of no less then 11 hogs rolled into the area in front of my blind like waves rolling up the beach.  I got to my knees and picked out a big black pig in the 125 pound range, drew back and let the arrow fly.  Fate apprently had other plans for that big'un then to become my table fair.  The first shot sent the three biggest hogs running for the woods.  There were still 8 little ones milling around, so I drew back and drilled one.  I aimed where I had read to aim and instructed to by Curtis. I was looking to break through that shoulder bone.  Everything happened so fast, but I felt my shot was about perfect.  I called Curtis and told him what was up, and again he came and employed Sassy.  Good thing he did too.  Though my shot was a killing shot, and had it been a deer it would have been perfect, as it was a pig, I bearly got one lung and hit the liver.  The lung never even colapsed, that little pig went 175 yards and died from the liver bleeding out.

So it was I have shot my first wild pig, and the first blood for my Dryad Bushwacker.
   This was the best "vacation" I have ever had in my entire life.  I made new friends, hunted, made a bow, and saw so many new and wonderful things.  I grew in ways I am not sure I can even explain.  
Derek
got arrows?

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Shoot Derek, I was there and I am still enjoying your story telling!!!!

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Well how about more of your story Rick, or are you saving it for next week.
Curtis , I was the one that found the arrow up on WWF ridge , so I get an assist on the pig right?
Congratulations Derek!
Mike , you left us with RED MIST , you cant leave us like that !

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks Rick and Ted.  Rick, please tell us your tales!  I also would love to hear from the others!
got arrows?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Well it's oh dark thirty and Jason has just arrived at my blind.  We review the shot and the look the blood trail over in the flash light.  He agrees "dead piggy".  We hear the four wheeler coming up the trail and were pleasently surprised when along with Curtis and Sassy was Rick.  Sassy and Curtis were soon on the trail and after a wrong turn or two Sassy was on a rail.  She found the pig in about 50 yds and was giving it heck.

Here is a pick of the happy recovery team and the 130# sow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©