3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Under 20 ..."PLEDGE"  (Read 480 times)

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Under 20 ..."PLEDGE"
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Just wondering.how many of you would pledge to take shots a big game at 20 yards or less. Yes ...I know many can kill a animal at much greater distances. But the ones that kill at very short ranges all the time have learned a very limited skill. I think we all would be a better hunter and would understand the great outdoors we love more. Sometimes simple is better with less mistakes. Whats Your thoughts ?????
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Under 20 ..."PLEDGE"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
the personal pledge should be to know yer ethical limits, whatever they are, and adhere to 'em.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
I'm always looking to take shots that are 20 yards or under. My favorite shots at game are between 14-17 yards. If over 20 yards, I let them walk.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
the personal pledge should be to know yer ethical limits, whatever they are, and adhere to 'em.
Hear. Hear.

It's not even a slippery slope we head down, when we attempt to project our own limitations as the "moral std.".

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I agree with Rob...

What makes 20yds. the magical distance?? I think that would probably cover 75% of all animals killed with trad equipment.  If you really want to limit yourself, why not set "your" limit to under 10yds???

My simple "pledge" is to just keep taking "good shots", and have no regrets...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I agree with Rob.  I personally limit my self to 20 yard shots, but what if I become a lot better shot?  What if I'm hunting a moose, caribou, elk, buffalo, eland etc.  Yes, I would stretch my shot limitation out slightly if I was pursuing very large animals.  Note to all animals in my sights:  Please position yourself at 17 yards, broadside, facing down or in the opposite direction.  Thanks animals.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I don't think it can be put any better than Rob said it.
Molon labe

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Rob is right.  Take a shot only if you KNOW you can make it.  It doesn't matter if it is 20 yards or 2 feet.  If you are not certain you can make it then pass.  JMO

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
My personal choice is to get the close broadside shot or I don't take it. For me it it's definitly under 20 but it is my personal choice based on ability, cirimstance, and experience. When I was shooting at the top of my form, I could certainly push that limit, so I would just say to know ones limit, try to get close, have fun, remember how fast they can move, and remember you have to track it after you shoot it.
Even with a compound I was just too worried about Murphy's law to take a shot that wasn't comfortable.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Never. I don't think about yardage, only whether my "gut" tells me I can make the shot. I've killed whitetail deer up to 35 yards and elk up to 55 yards, but I would never recommend those yardages to anyone else. I didn't know how far the shots were when I took them, but I knew I could hit the target. It was just what worked for me in a particular time and place. Of course I prefer the short shots, but things don't always work out that way. I practice at longer ranges a lot, and I know my limits under various circumstances.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Yardage matters very little to me. I look at that only after I have taken the shot on an animal in most cases. I shoot if the shot is good and i am confident I can make a good shot. Most are under 20 yards. I am not sure why 20 is the magic number all the time though. It would appear that most of the people that have commented on this thread would agree.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Good to hear from you all...thanks. The point I was trying to make was not really the distance but the effort and time and skill to get a animal close enought to feel his breath. (not really that close..lol..waaaaaaaa!) I have taken many animals at 5 to six yards on the ground. For you that have too.... You know the thrill..and also how hard it was to get that close. It took much time and a bit of luck for it to happen. I once slapped a doe on the butt as she walked by. I was behind a huge boulder on a well used trail. the wind was right. It was a trill to see the look on that does face as she bolted. She stopped about 25 yards away and looked back...then walked away. It was a fun day ...Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
The "magic" number is whatever number that is at the comfortable limit of the particular shooter. My personal "magic" number is right at about 20-25 yds for a clean kill shot, some folks who shoot heavier bows regularly might be uber-confident at 30-35 yds. Its all a personal limitation.

Personal ethics are the true goal. We don't need wounded animals out there dieing a slow death due to a crummy gut shot, or worse, a shot in the ham.

I really don't see any point in making a pledge to limit shots to 20 and under. That is a bit elitist IMO.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
The longest shot I have ever taken on large game was a doe at 34 yards.  The shortest was a buck at 3 yards.  I have turned many deer down in between those ranges just because it didn't feel right.  
I do agree with GSPrimiative that the closer the critter the the more exciting it gets.  :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I agree with Rob...

My simple "pledge" is to just keep taking "good shots", and have no regrets...
I will pledge up with this one.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Spectre, off the subject but a ham shot is better than a gut shot. I've seen several ham shots take deer down as quickly as chest shots. Big blood vessels back there, and in a magazine article years ago I read Fred Bear's comment that he liked hindquarter shots on a deer facing away.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I don't put numbers to a distance when shooting at a live animal-it just has to be right or I wait for a better opportunity.
The fun is the chase anyway, and that takes far more thought and planning.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Spectre, off the subject but a ham shot is better than a gut shot. I've seen several ham shots take deer down as quickly as chest shots. Big blood vessels back there, and in a magazine article years ago I read Fred Bear's comment that he liked hindquarter shots on a deer facing away.
Well, I stand corrected. I'll still go for the boiler room.  :p
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
No thanks, I am a hunter not a yardage estimator.
I have had many many animals at less than than 10 yds and I have touched an elk on the nose with my hand.  If I feel comfortable with a shot I'll take it.  Granted that doesn't put me much beyond "your" limit.  Much more goes into an ethical shot than just the distance.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
For me, a ground hunter, I find it more difficult to shoot a deer under ten yards than between 20 and 30 yards. When deer are that close they can be alerted very easily to me.  I have more confidence when the deer is not hot wired into my position and I can get off a more predictable shot as a result. I had a group of six deer this past season within 15 feet of me, no shot possible. One of the six was a fawn that ate my apple core that was only three feet from me.  I take pride in the fact that I did not spook them, but still there was no shot as they were all leaving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©