3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loss of confidence...What do you Do?  (Read 592 times)

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
Loss of confidence...What do you Do?
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Man, Ive lost all hope in archery   :banghead:  I dont get to shoot much. When get the chance to hunt (rarely) I want to get out the Boom sticks to make it easy. i cant remember the last time ive taken an animal with a bow. What do you guys do when you feel over whelmed?
Thanks
Larrymc
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loss of confidence...What do you Do?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Its like chess. You just try to figure out the moves better. If you just want to kill something; then stick with the boom sticks.
 If you want to except a challenge that is eons old; then take on an animal with a bow; get with-in its ability to hear you; to see you; to smell you.
 Then get so close you know you are going to hit the animal and take the shot.

Traditional bowhunting is not about killing an animal; as much as being able to hunt well enough to make the bow: a reasonable choice to take the shot with.

The guy who really moved me into bowhunting for big game; he hunted for 12 seasons with his bow before killing one with it. It was worth it! He still bowhunts and loves it- and its been over 30 years since I first bowhunted with him.

Is it the challenge of getting close and making the shot that is overwhelming you- or is it the need to satisfy others: that you can kill an animal?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I don't think it can be said any better than Brian did.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
"Is it the challenge of getting close and making the shot that is overwhelming you- or is it the need to satisfy others: that you can kill an animal?"

This, I think, is the question of the hour.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I have never felt that way.Like everyone I have had ups and downs but I just stopped and thought things through.If my plan is not working I make a new plan.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
CSP,
DO LIKE VINCE LOMBARDI! GO BACK TO THE BASICS. TAPES FROM A GOOD INSTRUCTOR LIKE RICK WELCH HELPED ME REBUILD MY ARCHERY LIFE. I WAS ABOUT TO DUMPSTER MY GEAR BUT HE SAVED ME!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Man....Brian asked at least ONE great question, above (more than one...but one GREAT one).

Who are you trying to please?  I ask that with total sincerity.

I tell everyone I hunt for myself.  BUT....I don't know how much fun it would be if my personal expectations weren't being met.  I wish I could say that ONLY the pursuit was "enough".  I'm not "there".  May never be.  I need to see results, still.  It's getting LESS important (the kill).  But, it's still (IMO) the only true culmination to an ultimately successful hunt.  Others may disagree.

I rarely bait, here (never killed one over it, though I've participated in the practice).  If I was on a dry streak.....I'd do it in a skinny minute.  In fact, I'd do ANYTHING legal....to up my chances (if I was struggling).....and I'll always reserve that right.

I wish you lived closer.  I have ample opportunities each season...and I'd gladly share my woods with you.

In the past, I've limited my shot distance to get out of dry spells.  It's always worked for me.....and I'm not ashamed to say my personal effective range (that I'm comfortable with) has shrunk as I've progressed.....instead of the other way around.

I wish you luck.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
If the lack of your confidence is misses you have to practice more and better.Traditional bowhunting require practice a lot of practice,find the time.You can practice also at 5 yards too remaster the proper form,then start to know your equipment and fine tune the arrow to your bow and shooting style,then move farter back keeping a eye on your form.It takes time and love but it will reward you,as it does for most of us.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
"Overwelmed" by what??
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
This is not ment to be difficult!! It's no different than really admiring your boom stick as you say.Or being mesmerized by the bow you shoot they will both do the same thing, but obiviously there are big differences. If you are a hunter its just the choice you make close or close does not matter.
Its guartanteed if you let the game get close you will see feel things differntly kinda like 3D.
Get really comfortable with your equipment and hopefully you have good place to hunt and let it happen!! Enjoy it all.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Nobody said it was going to be easy. In fact, that's why many of us are doing it. If you just have to kill something, traditional bowhunting might not be your cup of tea. Some folks are cut out for it, some folks ain't.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Try bowfishing carp up close.

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Your first sentence explained everything.  You don't get to shoot much.  It's hard to gain confidence at anything without practice.  Get out there and shoot!  It's fun.  You know you wanna.  Be like Nike and just do it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
When you don't have time to play with your kids due to work ect. You don't give them up do you? Nope you find time and apply yourself and it all comes back.Rent Robin Hood(Flynn)and get the ambition back.If you have time to post you have time to shoot.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by crossstickspro:
Man, Ive lost all hope in archery    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Larry, as you can see, there are a bunch of folks here that love to shoot arrows with just stick and string.  Some  (most) hunt, but some don't.  What they all do have that you seem to lack right now is a burning desire.  

You don't hear us saying anything about putting down the bow and getting out a gun.  Why ?  cause it just ain't like that for us.  We dig in harder, we practice longer or better or just come up with a way to make it work for us.

Are we great Joe hunters...  nah. . . .  we are just wired to want to do it our way is all.  

I see people. . .  kids and adults, become overwhelmed when they bite off more than they can handle.  Don't do that.  Start small, have fun doing that part and then you will graduate to bigger steps without even knowing it. .  or you will know you really didn't like it that much in the first place and do something different.

Maybe you will never come to like archery that much.  Who knows, and it doesn't matter.  

Don't let the whole thing become so important to you that is gets you down.  You either want to, like to, need to . . shoot arrows   or you don't.  If you do, then it will come together soon.  If not.. well shoot your guns... nothing wrong with that.  

ChuckC

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Lotta good folks telling you the same thing. If it ain't fun it ain't right. Chillax. If in the cards you'll make it happen only if it's motivated by your desire to have fun with it. You have a lot of friends here to draw from.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
Its like chess. You just try to figure out the moves better. If you just want to kill something; then stick with the boom sticks.
 If you want to except a challenge that is eons old; then take on an animal with a bow; get with-in its ability to hear you; to see you; to smell you.
 Then get so close you know you are going to hit the animal and take the shot.

Traditional bowhunting is not about killing an animal; as much as being able to hunt well enough to make the bow: a reasonable choice to take the shot with.

The guy who really moved me into bowhunting for big game; he hunted for 12 seasons with his bow before killing one with it. It was worth it! He still bowhunts and loves it- and its been over 30 years since I first bowhunted with him.

Is it the challenge of getting close and making the shot that is overwhelming you- or is it the need to satisfy others: that you can kill an animal?
Brian, you must be the Dr Phil of the achery world.....I didnt really realise that im more overwhelmed with not bringing home the bacon than not "Succesfully" bringind an animal down....I was lucky enough to take an animal my first season out, so thats not really it...
Thank you.

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRAYBEARD:
CSP,
DO LIKE VINCE LOMBARDI! GO BACK TO THE BASICS. TAPES FROM A GOOD INSTRUCTOR LIKE RICK WELCH HELPED ME REBUILD MY ARCHERY LIFE. I WAS ABOUT TO DUMPSTER MY GEAR BUT HE SAVED ME!
Found one on ****...hope this works  Thanks

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
"Overwelmed" by what??
I guess buy the amount of preperation,and the lack of "success" on the last several hunts...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©