3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For you lifting weights  (Read 706 times)

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
For you lifting weights
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
How many of you that are hitting the gym have trouble with sore arms and such and also the inability to pull your bows afterwards?  Am I doing something wrong or just over working my muscles with not enough recovery time?Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For you lifting weights
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Michael. It took me about 4 weeks to get where I could shoot too. I'm only lifting 3 times a week.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Recovery is just as important as the actual lifting.  Some simple stretching, self message, good diet, and adequate rest go a long ways toward alleviating soreness.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonathan creason:
Recovery is just as important as the actual lifting.  Some simple stretching, self message, good diet, and adequate rest go a long ways toward alleviating soreness.
And don't forget hydration. Maybe eat some salty stuff each day.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
ive powerlifted for years... and after a heavy lift day or a powerlifting meet im a lil shakey for like 2-3 days.... no worries ...you will bounce back...
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
You guys best quit that crap before you hurt yourselves.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
If you can shoot after lifting weights, your not doing a good job lifting weights.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Just make sure you do your shooting for the day before lifting.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Gotta love Biggie...  

When you get a touch older shooting the bow is a good workout, lol...

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Biggie, you definately have a way with words!  :biglaugh:

I have a Bowflex and when I do strength training I am definately sore the next day.  I try to stretch before I shoot and then just draw and let down the bow several times to loosen up before my practice session.  That seems to help a lot.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Sounds like lifting to heavy of a weight.  Try going lighter and do high reps.  You'll feel it but it's not a painful as straining on heavy low rep stuff.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
There will be soreness, stretching and recovery is important. I would find it imposible to shoot well after an intense session of lifting. During the lifting session you need to do a good job of fatiguing you muscles or you will see little gain.Good luck Jerry

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
If you are working out all the time, you really should address the diet. Nutrition is by far and away the most important part of the workout routine. A good balanced diet and some dietary supplements should do the trick. Your recovery time is the second most important. Your body will "break in" and recover faster as you go, but be sure to let it recover well before hitting it again.
 Do your cardio, too.

Drink water, drink water, drink water. Stay away from lactic acids for a while---until your recovery times go down.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
I'm assuming you want to tone your muscles, not become bigger like hulk Hogan.  Less weight, more reps.  Don't overdo it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I have been lifting for ages. I still do and I am an old guy past 60. I am not naturally strong, so I have to work out a bunch to just be average. I don't even try to shoot after I lift. I think the after-lifting weakness would mess up the little shooting form I have. If I shoot in the morning before work and lift after work I can do both in the same day. I try to lift 4 or 5 days a week, and I try to shoot 4 or 5 days a week. Life is busy, so I am not always able to do that.

I alternate workouts -- pulling muscles one day, pushing muscles the next day. Everyone who says to drink lots of water is right. You need to flush the build up of toxins from the workouts out of your muscles.

Hope this helps.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
x2   lift after shooting.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I'm getting up there in age too, 57, 58 in May.  I still shoot sorta heavy bows 70 to 75lbs and I won't shoot after I lift weights.  I feel like if I do I'll pull something.  Like Meathead said, shoot before you lift.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Pain has become a very close friend of mine. Soreness interfears with just about everything I do but hardly ever stops me. I guess if you want to recuperate quicker you will need to take it easy for a dew days and not pick up the bow. Take some naproxin sodium, aleeve hope you feel better. I'm not a BAD @22 but I shoot sore all the time, it's just sometimes the shooting gets cut short.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Learning how to balance intensity and volume are also important when it comes to soreness.  I like to wave load the intensity for squats, bench, deadlift, and push press over a 4 week period.  After that I have 1 week deload and then start a new cycle.  After each primary lift I do a couple of accessories which is mostly just pumping stuff to help with hypertrophy.  With this program I am able to work smarter, not harder, and continually progress.

For anyone that might be interested I use a program that's called the 5/3/1 method that was designed by Jim Wendler.  He's got an e-book available that lays it all out.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I am actually stronger and feel great pulling my bows the day after a workout.Its the second and 3rd days after a workout that I feel weaker pulling my bows.I usually take it easier those days but still shoot a few arrows just not as many.I take 3 days off or some times 4 after working a body part out and hit it again on the 4th or 5th  day.As you get older you will need more recovery time between workouts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©