3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to draw from a backquiver  (Read 1008 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
How to draw from a backquiver
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Backquivers have been around for a very long time. There are alot of choices to pick from and my following instructions may not work with all. The Hill style backquiver is the choice of many and will hold alot of arrows if one wishes to carry lots. I for one like to only carry six to eight in the main section and any others may be placed above the deviding lace within at the top.After one has the chest strap properly adusted snugly across his or her chest, you can draw arrows easily from it. If you wear your quiver strap to loose, it will hang to low down one's back making it hard to retrieve your arrows when needed.When making your draw, you need to bring your bow hand back and find the bottom of the quiver, steadying the quiver and pushing upward slightly. At this same time you need to be reaching for a selected arrow with your drawing hand. These two described steps are done at the same time and only in doing so will you be able to enjoy the use of a backquiver.If one tries to reach for an arrow without placing his or her bow drawing hand at the bottom edge of the quiver, an archer will look like a dog trying to catch its tail,and most of the time will be seen turning around in one's tracks.The reason being, when the good Lord made us humans, he made our chest and arm sockets in a way that we can reach more easily backwards over our shoulders when we do our arms in unison. This too tells our mind where the arrows are and we can draw an arrow out of the quiver without having to ever look. This has come in handy for me when hunting wild boar, and needing to keep my eyes on the suject at hand. Otherwise if I were to take my eyes away and then look back forward,I would not know where to find my animal. Chances are he or she would be running half way up my leg, no time to side step or get off a shot, much less climb a tree.After retreiving an arrow you swing up and over and down onto the bowstring, nocking the arrow, redying to make the draw.A nock that has a small indicator on top allows one to volley the arrow and know mentally where the nock groove is located without looking to see. I prefer to nock my arrow on top of the nocking point, as it makes placement on the string much easier than nocking an arrow under the nocking point.My choice of arrow placement on top of the nocking point, keeps every movement flowing in unison.It would be helpful if one would do nothing else but practice drawing and nocking an arrow in order to be better prepared under hunting conditions.For hunting reasons the practice of getting faster at nocking an arrow can be just as important as practice of shooting. These two things go hand in hand when the pressue is on. Hope this info will help you that may be considering the use of a backquiver and those that have never had someone explain matters. Jerry Hill

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to draw from a backquiver
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry cool tips
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I think you should do a short video of some of your tips Jerry.

Jer

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry.
Molon labe

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry,
I was drawing an arrow out of my back quiver that way by necessity for years and I thought that it was wrong (or at least not 100% correct)
I thought that the quiver just didn't fit me properly, or that my chest was too big or something.

Boy, now I feel normal!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry- isn't this the way John Schulz demonstrated in his video years ago?  Really is a skill/art unto itself!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Jerry, Guess your right. Tell you what, I sure like that horse your on. If you have an extra I'd love to join you on a hunt for cats. I'd rather hunt than show off in front of a camera. So if a camera is to come along, which I don't mind,someone else will have to shoot the camera as you can't shoot your bow and shoot a camera at the same time and I would be planning on flinging some arrows.Jerry Hill..........

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Dan, Yes, John Schultz did a fine job at showing what I have tried to explain.Jerry Hill......

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
No problem on the horse and I will video - no cats - no cats here we can hunt, but I am sure we could do something.

All non canadians have to be guided by an approved guiding service....that sucks.

I can guide non-resident canadians for certain animals, but it's limited.

Maybe I could trailer them south of the border though...hmmmm...that's a thought.

Jer

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I am coming from kitchener Ont to Milton Florida and I hope to see Terry Green on the way and alabama is close so maybe we could get together on my trip - this will be around the 25-26 of May

Jer

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Jerry, Hold tight just a little longer. My son's wife's cat is expecting. And when those kitty's get here I will UPS you some, so you won't be without.HA! HA! All jokes aside maybe our hunting trails will cross sometime.Jerry Hill....

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Cats - no thanks bud...we have had our fill of pets - my horse is the only thing I want now...tee hee

Hunting - yipper maybe...Like I say I am coming in a couple of months to hunt and fish so maybe we can meet up and share a beer or something. I will be on my bike, but I am bringing my bows/flyrods and a BIG SMILE

Jer

Offline gilbarbarian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry for the explanation of the back quiver.  I thought I might have to yoga to find that arrow back there.  jeff

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
Thanks Jerry for the tips of drawing and the nocking.  Looks like I will practice more on nocking going forward.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
imo - while nothing says 'trad archery/bowhunting' better than a sweet lookin' backquiver, functionally they just don't work as well as other quiver designs.

for me, the best functional off-bow quiver is still a good side slung quiver, like the safari tuff arrowmaster or duiker.

ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
Jerry, Although a lot of your "tips" are obvious to many that have been at this for a while...they will help some of the newcomers to our sport.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Rob, Thanks for your input. Backquivers aren't for everyone. But for those archers that wish to be more readied while in the field bowhunting, the backquiver when properly used, just can't be beat. Within a short time of serious practice as in shooting of the bow, an archer can practice to the point of drawing the arrow from the quiver,nocking the arrow,drawing the bow, coming to anchor and release, in a matter of one second and a half. This may sound impossible, but believe me I have done it, and several of my friends that have practiced along side me have done the same. I've never seen an archer that uses a bow quiver or side quiver to be able to achieve this feat. But whatever the case may be use what you like best, this is just my experiences that I wanted to share.I like that picture of you and the hog.Stay in touch, I want to hear about your hunting.Jerry Hill.........

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
i agree jerry - a properly designed and used back quiver is the fastest on a reload.  in that it's got all the other quiver types beat, imo.  

however and imho, the rest of a back quiver's functionality is just dismal compared to other quiver types, including a bow quiver.  

the best overall use of a backquiver was presented in an iam article by scott toll ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
here's a buck I killed when I was young (18 yrs ago) on the second shot, missed the first, and the back quiver made a quick second shot possible from the ground...

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks Jerry. I'm new to a backquiver. My mother-in-law made me a very basic but beautiful leather backquiver for Christmas this year and I haven't gotten the hang of it.

I thought that only a poorly designed backquiver would require use of your bowhand as well as your drawhand to draw the arrow.

I gave up on mine and labeled it an art piece after the first time I tried to use it. I think I'm going to take it back out rabbit hunting with me this weekend for a second try now.

Another classic DUH moment on my part. lol
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©