3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to draw from a backquiver  (Read 1009 times)

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to draw from a backquiver
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Jerry,

Thanks for this and all your posts.  I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Rob,

I used the Scott Toll article you cited above as my model for my own back quiver.  His design works very well.  As streamlined and no nonsense a quiver as you can get.  Pull it under your arm in heavy brush and it's a side quiver!
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Maybe it's just my monkey arms, but with a decently designed quiver I have no need to bump up the quiver with my bow hand.

Backquivers have their place and I enjoy using them, but in most of the dense thickets I hunt there are better options for me.

Keep 'em coming Jerry!  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I think a backquiver is great from a treestand and for bunny hunting.

My buddy has one of those ABH solo stalker quivers on his longbow and he hunts with a backquiver. That way he has one knocked, one on the bow, and the rest on the backquiver.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Rob, Thats a great picture of Scott Toll, He's got real good archery shooting form. It would be good to look at his picture real close as I feel that he's really got it down pat. If I were instructing him, I would like to see his drawing elbow a little bit lower. But, if he like's it that way then its fine, as I'm sure that it doesn't effect his shooting. Great looking bow he's shooting as well. Look at that arch in the limbs, its tillered perfectly, got to be a great shooting bow. Jerry Hill.................

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Overspined, A real nice buck. You got a right to be all smiles, and to think that you killed him with your second shot and was only able to do so because you were using a backquiver. What a true testimonial in surport of a backquiver. Hope mostly that the next time you shoot at another fine deer, your arrow finds its mark the first time around. Thank you for sharing this with us all. Jerry Hill..........................

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
LimbLover, Thanks for your reply.Enjoyed hearing your story about the homemade backquiver. It was meant to be used, so use and enjoy it, and you will be carrying lady luck on your back at all times, I promise, this is a grat gift to have from someone that cared enough about you to make something for you in surport of what you like to do. I like things that have special meaning, so don't leave her at home anymore.Jerry Hill.......

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Guru, Thank you for your surport and input. The topics I write, are things that I learned long ago from H.Hill. He taught me these things and told me that alot of it he had always kept it to himself in order to stay on top. I have been guilty of doing the same, but now that I am older most of my interest is in trying to help advise my fellow archers. I could easily be selfish and take this knowledge to my grave, but what good would it serve? None. It is rewarding to me, to hear from fellow archers like yourself that say they appreciate my sharing of information. I know that there are alot of excellant archers that are perfectly satisfied with their choices and etc. and you couldn't change their minds for no reason. But, in my book that is o.k. and I truely respect their feelings, because as long as one is enjoying what and how they choose to play the game of archery, I'm on their side all the way to the haybale. Archery is meant to be a fun sport. Politics can ruin the best of any sport.Jerry Hill...................

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the Tips Jerry, The first thing that I noticed in that picture of Scott Toll was the bend in the bow limbs.The quiver didn't do it for me, but that bow did. Your words to limblover are great. If I could ask a question. I shoot an arrow that is 31.5"-32" long. What length back quiver should I use? Thank you Sir.
Chuck
p.s. nice buck Matt(young pup)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
i love back quivers but they dont like me.every time i try one i wind up spinning around in circles trying to grab an arrow,cant shoot what i cant reach.wish i could though,love em.everything about them says trad hunter to me.  :banghead:    :(
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
I have lost track of how many times I took a fast shot at an animal, especially rabbits, and missed for one reason or another. Then grit my teeth, try not to cuss out loud, and jerk out the next arrow and made the kill.  It happened with deer three years in a row.  There is simply nothing that works like a back quiver for the stalking hunter.  As for the one pictured hanging on the fellows side, I would wrestle with that one on every shot.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Jerry,
   I agree with Guru that these tips are also tips that a newcomer will also benefit from...I myself have been reading your tips and it also helps some of us seasoned tradhunters as well...Keep up the good work Jerry and Thanks!<")))><

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I always wanted to use a backquiver for many years.  Didn't have one and thought I couldn't afford a good one (about the price of some bows)then I got lucky and found one, then traded one of my selfbows for a better one. Now I feel like ye olde archer of history. Learning to draw from it took some doing and hunting in brush a problem til I learned to let it swing back so the feathers were not tangleing in limbs. In quivers like every else theres always the temptation to invent an easier way rather than practice the old way until it becomes easier.

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Barley, Thanks for your comments. Using the Backquiver in thick brush country, you can try what I have always done. When starting into the thick of things, slide you quiver down your back allowing the chest strap to rotate around. Once your quiver is under your bow arm clamp down the quiver with your bow arm, so as to not allow the arrows to work their way out. At the same time surport your bow on top of the quiver which will aid in the clamping, with the front portion of your bow out in front of you that can be used to move small limbs and vines out of your way as you travel through. This I have done over the years when traveling fast after the dogs in chase of a wild hogs.I have ran through thick places this way and then when I reach a place that I can straighten up, I reverse everything and ready myself for a shot.Jerry Hill...........

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Jerry
Great tips, very straight and logical.

Rob I love those pics of Scott, they just bleed "traditional". I would love to get full size versions if possible.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Jerry
Great tips, very straight and logical.

Rob I love those pics of Scott, they just bleed "traditional". I would love to get full size versions if possible.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline GINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I put it into practice this afternoon. Great tips Jerry, keep them coming.

P.S. Pushing up with your bow hand seems basic enough but it helped me a lot.

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Ginkster, I'm glad that you are making my suggestions work for you. Sometimes what you have invested in may be just what you need, if only someone would help explain experiences that they have learned. We can all learn something from each other. I love making discoveries within this sport. It keeps my interest alive.Jerry Hill

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Jerry I brought the quiver back out today bunny hunting and had a blast with it!

I've decided I'm going to practice with it while target shooting to start getting used to it. It really adds something to shooting and I enjoy it!
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
thanks Jerry for sharing, cleared some thing up for me using the backquiver.  I am a broad chested short guy and have used cheap quivers and purchased a Howard Hill quiver from Craig.  From reading your advice have the strap to low and chasing my tail, thanks.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
I have a beautiful back quiver from Art Vincent called the Rover and that was my intention when I got it. I wasn't sure about the proper "etiquette" when drawing the arrow and this is huge for me. Thank you. I saw a short video clip of Ron LaClair and he was using his bow hand to "bump up" the quiver a bit, but I thought that can't be "right", they don't do it like that in the movies! Where do you grasp the arrow? I find myself grabbing the fletching.Should it be below the fletch? grabbing the nock doesn't seem solid enough. I also have one of Art's side quivers, the Adcock 6 arrow, which I planned to use for hunting, but will practice this "new" technique as I seem to like a lot of arrows on board. I don't see the wool "gob" at the bottom of the quiver for wiping off your errant arrows. Art shows one on his website and I have a book that shows their construction. My next project.
Thanks again, keep the info coming.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©