3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bad way to die...  (Read 873 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bad way to die...
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
one day i saw a young bull moose feeding on top of a small hump, ten minutes later i drove by again and saw him with his head stuck beetween the very bushes he was eating, some time in the ten miniutes he had sliped gotten stuck and strangled to death.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
And some say hunters are cruel...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
"Nature's law of tooth and claw are far crueler than any death I could ever bestow" -Fred Bear
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Deer can jump real high as we all know. There is this 20 acre water well field that is all fenced in, close to where I currently live. It is at least 6' chainlink toped with three strands of barbed wire and is full of hay and grass. It must be topping 10' tall. I always notice big bucks and doe in it feeding as I drive by and it amazes me everytime that they can clear that height. A few months back I came across a young buck that got tangle up and the buzzards, coyoties and wolves had a go at him.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I've got a little 26 acre spread and have decided to hand build a jackleg fence around the perimeter.
There is old barb around part of it that will need to be removed.
I haven't witnessed what others here have but can imagine the scene.
If I had multitude of acres or sections of land the fence I'm contemplating would be inconcievable.
Nature is beautiful and sometimes cruel.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Yes, seems like a bad way to go.  And it's not restricted to animals jumping over fences.  Several years ago on opening day of bow season I found a barred owl that dove into the shadow of a cedar tree in the moon lit night and broke its neck on the fence wire connected to said tree.  Then just today I was out shooting stumps and scouting my favorite hunting spot and found a hawk hung in the barbed wire.  My best guess is that he was diving at prey near an open spring back in the woods.  Unfortunately it was also along the property line.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
is it that life is hard or is it that their is just some bad things that happen

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Most of the animals don't die in their sleep dreaming.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
On my way to work one morning, I saw a deer that had apparently misjudged jumping a cemetary fence. The kind made w/ square stock every 6" w/ pointed tops. He was hanging w/ one right thru his brisket. It had just happened as he was still bleeding out. At least he didn't go to waste, another guy was right there claiming it.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Ed Isaacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I occasionally find a whitetail leg just like that... tough to think of what the animal must have gone through before it died.
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us! It
wad frae mony a blunder free us, And foolish notion."

Robert Burns

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Crazy how things work sometimes. I just read this thread last night and this morning while out shed hunting I was telling my buddy about the elk leg in the fence and maybe 5 minutes later we find a deer leg in a fence. Nothing else left. Kind of strange after just reading this thread.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
In some of the bad winters we've had in the past, I've seen deer remains in the fences surrounding the hay that farmers feed their cattle up where I hunt. Got stuck trying to get to food. I've heard of people round these parts that have had to finish off deer that were almost dead. Haven't seen it in the last couple years though, probably cause of the overhunting of the area that's gone on, not enough deer to get stuck...   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Sgebrshsam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
dang fences they are changing to a critter friendly fence here but they still get hung up sad to see when they get hung up thou

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bear:
To those of you who say nature is tough, barbed wire ain't nature.
Good thought Bear, I certainly agree with ya!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
The early cattle men thought barb wire would be the death of the business,kind of differant now. I like slash gut and aspen worm fences better myself and they keep my brother employed. A 7 rail worm fence sure keeps the elk out better than wire and you don't have to lay it down in the winter. Around her alot of people notch the ears of game they cut out of fences,I'm always surprised how many deer I see with perfect v's in there ears. Dose anyone else notch ears or heard of it or is it just a local thing?

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by wollelybugger:
Most of the animals don't die in their sleep dreaming.
Contrary to what most of the Disney-fied portion of the world would think!!!!!

Great point!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I had a buck get caught in a 4 in cattle wire fence behind my house this year. Unfortunately for him it was during deer season. But he did not have to suffer a slow death.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
We put the third and fourth strand of our wire fourteen to sixteen inches apart to prevent deer getting caught.  Lower strands are closer together.

Stuff happens, but this problem is preventable with a little forethought.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Sad deal. I know someone who oddly ran into two whitetails in the same predicament. They were both too badly injured to save. Local MDC sees it all trhe time. After making the call, He put what He could of them to good use. Sad, but just reality sometimes.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Ain't always fence though, came across a young bobcat wedged in the fork of a tree. Looked like he mismanaged his leap or slipped or something. Would be prolonged demise methinks. Poor guy.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©