3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hung my new Trail Camera today  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hung my new Trail Camera today
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I picked up a Wildview Extreme 2 trail camera for one of my Christmass gifts  ;)  .  I hung it up this evening for the first time.  I have it on a trail leading away from a still fairly active scrape on a small patch of private land I hunt near my house.  I put it so it would take the picture of the deer coming toward it due to what I have read about slow trigger times.  It didn't seem to pick me up until I was about fifteen feet away at most.  Plan to go and grab it probably Wednesday night.  Hope I did it right and somebody doesn't walk away with me $100 hanging to a tree.    :jumper:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hung my new Trail Camera today
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
Good luck...post some PIX
ChuckC

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
My bud picked up two at Gander mt. or cabela's I think he paid 40.00 a pc?? I couldn't beleive the pics they took.Good luck and post some pics!Oh he had corn out and boy oh boy did that help!! You can bait in Jersey.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
To keep it on the tree try using coated steel canle and son padlocks.  That works in TX.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
The corn sounds like a good deal.  Although PA just began baiting in some urban areas I am outside this area so I will have to wait until the end of the month.  I set it on video mode so if it is light it takes a video and if dark a picture.  I hope I got the angle right on the thing.  Sure would be neat to have some pictures of other critters such as furbearers and such.  It began to pour rain tonight and I hope that doesn't set of the camera.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
I got one for Christmas too and been havin a ball with it! Just like openin a present every time I check it. Heres one I thought was cool......just noticed the date is wrong  :knothead:  

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
My God...A racoon deer!

Dan

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
LOL

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
That deer is wearing one of those hats with the LED lights in the brim!
Got wood? - Tom

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
I recieved a Stelth Cam a few years ago for Christmas. The first roll of film came back from the processor with pics of a few does...and my dogs.LOL    After that, the next roll came back blank. I called tech support and they told me that at 28deg(F) the unit would default. I went through 5 rolls of film, processing and 5 sets of batteries and no pics. Around here it can and does hit 28deg in September so the Stelth Cam is useless when I want it most.
   Have these things gotten better in the last few years or do the digitals do the samne?  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline clay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
I also recieved a wildview 2 for christmas, so far I have taken pics of, crows, deer, my dog, my cat, myself.
I have been having so much fun that just I purchased a sony camera from e-bay and a control board etc. When they arrive I will be building my own homebrew trail cam.
Pat B. yes the digital is the way to go, its has been down into the low teens here a few times and no problems.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks Clay. I'll have to try one. Any suggestions on an inexpensive model. I noticed Wally World had some for less than $100.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline clay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Pat B. go to -chasingame.com or hagshouse.com. there are a lot of camera reviews there. the ones at wally-world are moultrie brand cams, these have the worst reviews everywhere, the wildview 2 seems to get the best reviews for a lower priced cam. cabelas have then on sale right now through the end of the month for $89.00. If you buy a wildview be sure to get the extreme2 or 3, not the older extreme 11.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Pat...I just looked it up in my manual and the Wildview Extreme 2 says the operating environment for this camera is 14 to 104 deg F.

I set mine on the video mode.  Anybody use that on the Wildview yet?

I just hope my camera is still out there and not in somebodies truck   :pray:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'll look into these you suggested.
Seeking, Looking forward to your pics.   Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
My wife bought me a trail cam for Christmas. I've never had so much fun in the mornings. I can bearly wait to run out and change memory sticks with my Cannon camera so I can immediately see the pics. I caught 4 rabbits, 3 coons, three does, one giant buck, and a bobcat all IN ONE NIGHT! I also found out where my pet wild hog is going in the day time. He's using the creosote pole that washed up in the last flood as a scratching post just like his wild cousin hogs are. Lots of fun with those trail cameras. It's like hunting even when you are home in bed. CK

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Any of you guys ever mount your trail camera on a branch above the scrape/rub facing downward? Seems alot of the time I can't find a suitable spot to mount it so that it is not so visable to others. I was thinking about mounting it up high above the scrape. This would keep it out of sight and out of reach of most folks that might discover it. I figure most bucks raise their heads up and back while rubbing trees so it should work.
hunt it

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
You guys need the wireless versions so you can check them from home/work!

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
Hey Dave...I was thinking of that when I hung it as I couldn't get a tree that would face the scrape right.  I ended up hanging it ten yards down from the scrape but I'll have to figure out a way to do what you are saying...would be cool pictures.  Probably next year as I imagine the scrapes will dry up very soon.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
I got a Wildview 2 the other day. It is in the backyard for a few days (with bait  :) )  before I get it in the woods this weekend.

How long will the batteries last in winter weather?  The only thng that bothers me is that the spot I plan to put it is 2 hrs away and it will be out at the minimum a couple of weeks before I can check it, change batteries etc. Hate to have some pictures and can't download them because the batteries died. Anybody price the memory cards for the Wildview 2 so a guy can just change the card and leave the unit in the woods? What else does a guy need so he can switch cards and view the pics on the card that taken out? Cost?

Thanks

This is gonna be some fun.  I saw a large cat track on some land in S central MO and I wonder if it is a Cougar.  There have sightings all over MO.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©