3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cutting down Brass Inserts  (Read 396 times)

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Cutting down Brass Inserts
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I need some 50grs and have 24 100grs. Anybody just cut some 100's in half? I don't have any 50's I could measure but I think half should be close. I would order some more but the shipping kills ya on a small order and ordering a bunch of stuff is the last thing I need to do right now. Anybody done this? I don't see where it would hurt, points should still screw in right?
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline benny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting down Brass Inserts
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
I have done it. Use a dremel tool w/cut off wheel. Just eye ball it. Put n scale and trim as needed. Once you get it where you need it...use that one as a guide.

Benny

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
It looks like it might work.If your inserts are for 5/16" shafts like Gold Tip etc,I have 50 gr ones that i could trade you for 100's.

Comparing the two,I think the halfway mark would be close.You would just have to take your time and get one right,then you could measure the rest.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
I've used a bandsaw to cut them.  Just clamped a vise grip on the throw away end and cut.  It's not an exact science and 1/2 length isn't 1/2 the weight.  You can grind down a bit more, but need a scale to get any accuracy.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Anybody have time to measure some 50 grs that are for 5/16ths arrows? That is what I have.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Trade with JimB.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I did it like benny did.  It was kind of an experiment and it worked out real well.  I was surprised how close each of mine came out in weight..

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by WestTnMan:
I need some 50grs and have 24 100grs. Anybody just cut some 100's in half? I don't have any 50's I could measure but I think half should be close. I would order some more but the shipping kills ya on a small order and ordering a bunch of stuff is the last thing I need to do right now. Anybody done this? I don't see where it would hurt, points should still screw in right?
I hear you on the shipping and that's exactly why our shipping rates are structured the way they are.  We'd ship you a half dozen for only $1.99 or up to two dozen for $2.99.
   :D  

As far as cutting goes, the insert face on the 100 is quite a bit thicker than the 50 so just cutting half you may end up with a heavier insert than you're looking for and you might end up on the short side.  You could try cutting AND turning the lip down so they're not overly short.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
My 100's are 1.44".The 50's are .943.As stated,they are slightly different as the 50 has a shorter lip.You would have to cut yours a little shorter than these 50's,to compensate for the longer rim.There is about 1/8" of metal behind the threads on these 50 grainers so I'm sure it could be done.

Again,I have about 2 dozen of the 50 grain ones if you want to trade.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Grinder. . . finish with file.  I tune my shafts this way, taking off a few grains at a time.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
I always buy the 100's and cut then grind them down to the weight my arrow length requires to  tune.  Save your cut offs.  They are sometimes needed for epoxying in front of your nock to stiffen other arrows that may that are too weak of spine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©