3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stupid question  (Read 364 times)

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
Stupid question
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I've got a stupid question  it happened to me this past season I got permission to hunt a good peace of land right down the road from my house but there are 8 other stands on this property and one morning during the rut I snuck in with my climber and was sitting there and at first light heard rattling my first thought was another hunter but were I was setup I could kinda see were we all park are vehicle's and did'nt see anything but my four wheeler.The rattling kept going on for a while stopping for about 10 min and start again so I guess the question is how can you tell if it is a hunter or deer?
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Look in the trees.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Two bucks fighting will sound like two bucks fighting; ie. branches breaking, ground getting torn up, grunting/heavy breathing.  A guy rattling is usually void of the "other" sounds.  Something to keep in mind when we rattle.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Yell WHO'S THERE!!!! if you don't hear it again,it was deer...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
It was another hunter.  As NBK offered, deer that really fight, make a lot of racket.  A lot.  You will know the difference once you hear it.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
One of the fights I heard was about 75  yds. away. There was no mistaking the sound. Like stated above it sounded like a stampede.  Brush snapping, antler noise and you could hear the rukus they made in the leaves from a long ways away. There was also moaning and grunting noise. This went on for about 3 minutes. After about an hour I couldn't take it. I got down and walked up there. It looked like about a hundred turkeys had gone through the 40 yd area scratching all the leaves up on the hillside. There was areas where all the grass was tore up and small saplings snapped off. Also one drawed some blood, there were several small drops scattered around. One other thing was there were a bunch of other deer  running up and down the hillside as this was going on.

I also once watched some smaller bucks sparring that just very made any rattling sound. So it would be hard to tell in some instances.
PBS  Member

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
The only stupid question is the question that didn't get asked.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Well when I rattle I do all of that too???  But have no luck when I do it, mabye I dont make enough noise?lol
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Two bucks fighting will sound like two bucks fighting; ie. branches breaking, ground getting torn up, grunting/heavy breathing.  A guy rattling is usually void of the "other" sounds.  Something to keep in mind when we rattle.
Ditto on that..... The 1st time I heard two bucks fighting was 12years ago. Once you hear it... nothing else can compete.... Its wild......
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I hunt from the ground.  Stalk them while fighting, they are actually pretty easy to sneak up on during a fight.  Shoot the biggest one.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks everyone I figured it was a huter cause it was pretty much every 10 min it would start up again and no other noise what everyone is talking about can't wait to here the real thing   :thumbsup:   thanks again.
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©