3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Been Down This Road? Advice?  (Read 821 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Been Down This Road? Advice?
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
This is a road I have been down before… sort of… and I am sure others of you certainly have.

A little bit ago I posted something to the effect that I was planning to sell my compound and go completely trad… I put it up for sale, but it didn't sell.  I had offers fall through and low ball emails… and my wheel bow is top of the line.  Elite Archery GT500 in flat black… its really fast, flat, forgiving and accurate, retails for $1200 set up as I have it now.  But anyway…

Last week, the finances hit the fan at home.  We had our son in July and steadily its been getting more expensive as we decided to have my wife stay home with him.  Then the taxman came and due to my miscalculations (I will own that), we owe… in a panic, I put ALL my bows up for sale including my beloved Black Widow PSR recurve.  The theory was, which ever bow gets the first offer and most money goes… sure enough, I sold the PSR to a fine tradganger and was able to balance out the budget… but the compound remains.

Before Lent, I had put down my bows as work and family needs increased, so I think the last time I shot traditional must have been 2-3 weeks ago.  After the PSR was sold, I decided to start boning up on my compound shooting.  Within one quiver my groups were in a quarter sized group… and my muscles were used to the action of shooting… pretty easy.  It was then I began to really realize how much I miss my trad bows…

In the past I have hunted using either or (kinda like Fred Eichler and many other tradgangers).  It was the flavor of the day for me.  And I think there are times that I enjoy compound shooting (especially distances over 40 yds)… but I tend to grab my recurves for everyday shooting and practice, stump shooting and 3D… so here's the dilemma…

When I bought my GT500, it was to be the 'last and only compound I will ever need.'  I shot everything trying to decide where to spend my money and the Elite was simply the best compound for me.  I've looked into our budget and there just isn't any extra money for a recurve or a longbow.  So, do I take the plunge and sell the compound bow and buy a trad bow (been eyeing the Savannahs and some used recurves in the classifieds) along with a less expensive compound (I do like having one, not as a crutch, but simply because I like shooting compounds), or do I focus on the skills of hunting and worry about the kind of tackle later in life?  I've been hunting only 3 years so there is a lot to learn, plus I do have firearms to make sure there is meat in the freezer… but still, that Elite is a great, great bow…

As you can see… I'm torn here...

Sorry this was so long-winded… I just needed to get it all out and get some honest feedback from y'all.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Been Down This Road? Advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
You'll never get back the full value of your investment. Keep and shoot the compound and build yourself a "self bow" for now.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Erik  
unfortunately only you can answer this one.  It is whatever you want to do.  I can tell you what I did,  as can all the other folks here, but that really doesn't matter cause you need to choose what you want to do.

I can tell you this.  If you choose to stick with the compound, you are no more or less a person in my eyes.  You are no better or worse a hunter in my eyes.

Do what YOU need to do for yourself and your family.  

Heck... in a couple years you may change your mind again, who knows.

ChuckC

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
If it were me.... I'd sell the GT 500. I come from wheel bows also. Wheel bows are like computers....... what you buy today is outdated next week. There will always be some "ALL NEW" compound model to buy. If you love Traditional and want to do it right now then sell the GT 500.... when money permits buy the next Gen GT 500.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Let the compound go.I still have my PSE collecting dust.I shot it a few weeks ago and didn't like it at all.I feel that shooting trad makes me better in tune with the woods and the animal.30+ yard shots with the wheels gives you room for sloppy hunting(IMHO) Go with the trad bow,Maybe you can get an inexpensive longbow and have money left to get a storage shed for the wheelie bow.Remember how boring it was to shoot 25 to 30 arrows and not have to worry about them hitting outside of 4".Thats why we went to trad gear.IMHO Good luck    :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I would keep what you have. Times will get better for you and then you can get another BW.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
How can we answer that question?  Seriously bud, only you can answer that one....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
if you really want a traditional bow get rid of the compound...maybe even liquidate a gun or two that you never use   :eek:   !i took my compound to a bow shop last friday and its on consignment now,my longbow and recurve are in the building(shot the long bow today).
 do what you feel is right for you,i enjoyed shooting my arrow scorching pse camed beast but theres just something about that old stick and string that draws me to it...i guess its just the added challenge that im after....tag soup here i come!   :biglaugh:
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Erik,

I've got a recurve you can borrow this year if you need it.  Just pm me

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Dirtguy great gesture    :clapper:    :clapper:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
i would keep ur compound, and when money permits, buy a cheaper quality recurve or longbow so u can then enjoy all aspects of archery.  for example, i heard good reviews on a samick spikeman recurve and one just sold on **** for $145 brand new!

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
There ya go mrpenguin, problem solved. What a great attitude you have there dirtguy.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Very nice dirtguy!  A grand example to for us all. Mr. P. only you can make the final decision.  But if you like both the offer sounds like your solution.  During the year you can scrimp and save and shop the classifieds here for your own.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
here is something that hasnt been suggested yet . . . strip down the compound completely and make it a "traditional/instinctive" wheelie bow???
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
if you want to shoot a trad bow get a good used one or pickup a mad dog, a quinn or a Chek Mate. Chek the sponsors. Only you can decide what you have to do for your family.

personally it would kill me not to shoot my Chek but that's me. you'll never get the money back for the compound and you shouldn't look at it as a loss. If you sell the compound and get a cheaper one along with a trad bow you have to consider the fun amd benefits that wet along with shooting your bow. If you shot it lots and had tons of enjoyment  you got your moneys worth, the bow owes you nothing.

good luck
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Loose the compound and buy yourself a used vintage recurve to get you past your money crunch.  You could literally buy 4-6 vintage Bears or Howatts with the money from the wheelie.  Right now it's a crutch for you and you can't give it up.

Sorry you are having money problems but you are vascillating on the fence here and we can't make up your mind for you what kind of hunter you want to be.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
You have an offer of the loan of a recurve so let me step up and say if its a longbow that you need I have one I'd loan you for the up coming season.

You need to decide soon though because turkey season is right around the corner.

I think a good turkey hunt would help ease your mind or drive you bonkers..lol

Just send me a pm.

God bless,Mudd

PS I will remember you in my prayers.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Can't tell you what to do but.  That is your decision.  For me, I have five compounds all rigged for bowfishing and if I had to split with a bow it would be one or all of them.  I would save a little and buy a nice used trad bow on the classifieds here.  In a year or two you can buy another last trad bow you will ever need.

Keep the compound.  If you enjoy it, then shoot your money out of it.  You will never get anywhere near what you put into it when you sell.  Just like a car, compounds devalue horrendously and their sticker price is a total rip off.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I went down that road, too. Sort'a...When our 'first' child was born my wife had the insatiable maternal instinct to be at home with child. I hung up the bows, fishing poles, parked the boat, oiled and stowed the guns. Worked two jobs, weekends, no vacations. Paid taxes, mortgage,student loans, insurance...drove beater vehicles

With the Lords blessings we have 5 healthy kids, marriage of 25 yrs. home mortgage paid, 130 acres prime ozark deer woods paid.  :thumbsup:

Still have taxes and insurance, plus college,again  :banghead:

You have to set your own priorities mr penguin. I only share my own as free advice, because I have be down a similar path
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
dirtguy- you are awesome.

Keep the compound and save for a trad.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©