3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little map and compass tutorial  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
A little map and compass tutorial
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Powerpoint viewer.
 www.armyrotc.vt.edu/Classes/Powerpoint/Land%20Navigation.ppt

I just noticed the popularity of the last thread and thought it would be fun to do some learnin, too.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little map and compass tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
http://www.wilderness-survival-skills.com/finding-direction.html

This is a good link, it goes in to how to do some basic celestial nav. Your watch is a good nav tool.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Jeff, Good beginner tutorial! For someone that is trying to learn to use a compass and map this is very helpful. Do you have the next tutorial site?  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm searching for it as we speak. It has been a while, but I used to teach this stuff a bit in the Navy--but they consider it a perishable skill, it needs to be practiced regularly in order for it to stay with you.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I'll check it out. Been wanting to learn more about compass navigation...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks- I was thinking that about the last thread. . . I want to learn more too!

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
great thread, this is something Ive always wanted to know more about.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Orienting your map is one of the most commonly overlooked steps in the whole thing. I like to keep a red pencil in my pocket for keeping track as I go.
 http://www.4orienteering.com/terrain_association/51/
 A small notebook is also very handy, as you can make note of particulars as you log your waypoints. Logging as you go is something one really oughta do if going very far from the beaten path.
 I will usually make a waypoint number on the map, then write in the notebook something like "#1-direction 050 streambed w/eddy and quakies approx 200 yds." This will help re reference you if there is any confusion going back out. Redundancy seems redundand, but its very helpful in case of confusion. Only need to make notes and waypoints at noteable places--the mouth of a stream, the entrance to a draw, your honey hole, etc. Making landmark/direction references will help loads if(God forbid)you break or lose the ol' compass. At least with a reference, you can "remember" direction.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Your watch is not only a great tool for celestial navigation, but it also is awesome for timing stuff!
 It is a good idea to have some sort of an idea how fast you walk--when your hiking in/out and at least something close to your standard "hunting pace".
 This way you can use Dead Reckoning to get from point A to point B.
 You should get your pack on and "hike" a known mile(preferably one that isn't too straight or flat like the road) and time yourself. Write the time down in your handy little notebook, right on the inside cover. Now turn around and "stroll" back. Write this time down, too.
 These times will be really important to you as you start to use your compass and map as your primary nav tools.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks all for posting these sources.

RonP

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Spectre I am glad I went in the Marines,I was a forward observer and land nav. was one of the greatest things I have learned.I have taught most of my friends.Its a must have.Technology can fail but a map and compass will save your a$$.Great links and good thinking   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
HooYah! lpcjon2!
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Now that you know how to orient your map and you know your speed, it can be a great idea to go to a known spot(maybe your favorite little hunting hike), a couple of miles walking oughta be good for a learning experience.

Starting from a known spot, orient your map then locate that spot on your topo map and mark it with your little red pencil. Look at the magnetic direction to where you want to go(a familiar area works great on account of familiarity--you will see)and take note of the distance to that spot. If there are legs(different directions to take)your first magnetic direction should be at the first "waypoint" or end of that leg. Now just hike to it, stop being "familiar" as you go, just rely on the compass for direction---now the kicker. TIME yourself, you know how fast(approx) that you hike, so you should stop every ten minutes and reference your map. Look at your topo and reference landmarks, this is where you gain confidence in your orienteering because you will see how easy it really is and with familiar territory, it will all "click" for you.

I am not a writer, maybe I oughta just stick to the manuals links. However, this is how I taught my guys.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Looking at the distances on your map, you have a pretty good idea where you should be at a given pace in a given time. 10 minute intervals aren't at all necessary, but its great for learning and getting familiar. I use 30 minute or hour intervals ar a norm---I reference the compass all the time, though, kind of a habit that you should get in to. Without regular direction references, the average person will walk in a great big circle every time. One leg is shorter than the other.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
If you lose or break your compass and don't have A spare one here's A tip on haw to use your watch.

Hold your watch in your left hand and hold it with the face up.

Face toward the sun and take A twig or A blade of grass or anything about 3 or 4 inches long and thin and hold it up next to the watch so that it casts A shadow along the hour hand and across the center of the watch.

Now look at the shortest distance between the hour hand and the 12.

All you do to find north is imagine A line starting from the edge of your watch half way between the hour hand and the 12 and going threw the center of the watch to the other side.

The point between the hour hand and the 12 will give you the direction of south if you are in the northern hemisphere and north if you are in the southern hemisphere.

In exactly the opposite direction is true north in the northern hemisphere and south in the southern hemisphere.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Will you go over the section resection to show position?Shooting two azimuth's to two visually know points on the map and drawing a line on your map the point they intersect is your position.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
If only I knew how to post a picture here...
You make a great point! That is easy as pie, and works.

Standby..
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks Spectre. It's been awhile since I've taken survival classes. Good brush up. Thanks.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Also known as "triangulation". Again, this will work only if you are properly oriented as magnetic north and true north are completely different things---we are working with magnetic north here.    

Anyone who knows how to read a topo map can easily find prominent landmarks---a sharp peak is best. Pick two landmarks that are at least 45 degrees from each other. Now shoot an azimuth to the tippy-top of your first landmark and make note of the bearing. Now turn and shoot the tippy-top of your next landmark, make a note of the bearing.
 Now on your oriented map(and assuming you have a handy straight-edge, my compass is one)draw a line through the tippy-top of the first landmark at the noted bearing, go ahead and make it a long line.
 Now do exactly likewise with your second landmark bearing. The compass doesn't lie, the intersecting lines is within a few yards of where you are actually standing. Now you have a brand-new "known" waypoint. Make a note of it in your little notebook.

I'm probably about as clear as mud, right Marine?
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
If you use your grid lines(grid north), you can now find your lat/long using the scale along the edge of the map. Pretty handy stuff in an emergency. You oughta make notes of this in your little notebook, too.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©