3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little map and compass tutorial  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little map and compass tutorial
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Good link frassettor. I love this stuff.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
I'm no bowyer, and my arrow building skills are basic, at best. So I like to share what I can. I think it would be cool if everyone took time once in a while to share what they are good at with the folks who might want to know how.

Everything we learn makes us better bowhunters.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
another great site - for all your survival and compass training skills

http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/

Jer bear

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Reply With Quote  I'm no bowyer, and my arrow building skills are basic, at best. So I like to share what I can. I think it would be cool if everyone took time once in a while to share what they are good at with the folks who might want to know how.

Everything we learn makes us better bowhunters.
Amen to that Jeff
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Found a great price on a great compass IMHO.

http://www.knifecenter.com/

SKU: BN8097    
Description: Brunton Eclipse GPS Compass With Base  
Unit Price:      22.95

This is like a third of the price of most places I checked out..I bought two cause I was getting killed on the shipping once again - 25 bucks just for shipping, but they are 78 bucks in canada then you have to add shipping so i got a two for one.

Jer BEar

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
This is kinda like arm chair quarter backing.   it is easy at home.  :)   take a flat land Texas boy and drop him on a river in Idaho, throw in a few squealing elk, couple of hours chasing of chasing 'em...it is not like I am keeping tabs on where I am.....adernaline is off the chart.  

now what if you close the deal.  start tracking your elk and the sun is setting????

I could not tell you which way camp was.  It is hard to back trail yourself with a flashlight......i better have a gps with the camp marked.  yep i got a compass and a map.  mpa on the gps too.  it is that gps that is gonna get me back to dinner.  I use the compass to make sure the gps is updated.  i get the direction from the gps and follow the compass.

know how to use a map and compass is a plus but it might not get ya home for dinner.

I have used both my gps in many different situations.  getting practice with them and understanding under what condtions they may not update correctly is important.  if you in a deep narrow valley with lots of canopy ya may have to hike up to get good updating on the gps.  You can get you bearings from there.  

i am a gps type guy  :) .  

rusty

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 01:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by trashwood:
This is kinda like arm chair quarter backing.   it is easy at home.   :)    take a flat land Texas boy and drop him on a river in Idaho, throw in a few squealing elk, couple of hours chasing of chasing 'em...it is not like I am keeping tabs on where I am.....adernaline is off the chart.  

now what if you close the deal.  start tracking your elk and the sun is setting????

I could not tell you which way camp was.  It is hard to back trail yourself with a flashlight......i better have a gps with the camp marked.  yep i got a compass and a map.  mpa on the gps too.  it is that gps that is gonna get me back to dinner.  I use the compass to make sure the gps is updated.  i get the direction from the gps and follow the compass.

know how to use a map and compass is a plus but it might not get ya home for dinner.

I have used both my gps in many different situations.  getting practice with them and understanding under what condtions they may not update correctly is important.  if you in a deep narrow valley with lots of canopy ya may have to hike up to get good updating on the gps.  You can get you bearings from there.  

i am a gps type guy   :)  .  

rusty
So, I wonder how they ever did all that before handheld GPS?
 I will do a celestial nav thread, I think.

I wouldn't rely on that GPS like that, but thats just me. The Military teaches that a GPS is secondary nav for a reason.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
Well as far as getting turned around and it's getting late etc.....all I can say is that have the compass..watch..map...something to eat...a small space blanket...something to make a fire with and stay the night if you have too.

I always take a day pack hunting and my fanny pack.....some extra socks and the stuff listed above and a first aid kit.

Trail mix and a few chocolate bars and some water.

find a good spot and stay put...build a fire (first) then make a leanto or something to get you out of the weather if it's not a nice stary sky....

Then pick it up in the morning...someone said before me..DON'T PANIC....people in your camp will be worried but you should be able to make it overnight anytime you go out or you shouldn't go out.

GPS - is a secondary device for me - but I carry one and some extra batteries and always mark camp before I head out..but i do the map stuff first.

I think the worst places are places that don't have good landmarks.

Jer Bear

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
"I think the worst places are places that don't have good landmarks."

Places like that(flat), just remember roughly what direction you were drifting when you went in.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Please lets not get this thread closed by rehashing the same arguments.  There is some good stuff here.

RonP

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »
werd.

I'll throw together some celestial stuff and post it up tomorrow.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
Great thread. Way over my head. Expect I might consider a Nebraska whitetail hunt in exchange for someone willing to properly teach me how to use my old Silva.
Might want a reciprocle turkey hunt thrown in.
Very informative Mr. Spectre
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
I don't see your point portugeejn . I think we are keeping to the thread.

We are just digussing some differences in getting around in the wilderness...pro's cons'

I think it's been very informative. i think ppl need to know that GPS and all they are cracked up to be are great when they work and joe six pack should be atleast aware that there could be some draw backs.

I think there has been some great info shared here.

JB

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowferd:
Great thread. Way over my head. Expect I might consider a Nebraska whitetail hunt in exchange for someone willing to properly teach me how to use my old Silva.
Might want a reciprocle turkey hunt thrown in.
Very informative Mr. Spectre
Its a deal.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
As Emily Litella said, "Nevermind!"  I was up too late and probably seeing things that weren't there.  Thanks for an informative thread!

RonP

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Navigation by the sun

The simplest and the most fundamental method for the map and compassless natural navigator is to use the sun. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west - roughly speaking. The only place it rises and sets due east and west is at the equator. When it reaches its highest point at noon, its direction will be either south (northern hemisphere) or north (southern hemisphere). In winter, the sun is lower in the sky so you will notice shadows are long.

Using a pocket watch

A method of finding north and south commonly used and trusted is by means of a pocket watch. Unfortunately, the apparent simplicity of this method may give a very wrong impression as to its accuracy. Finding a direction with a watch is a rough method of estimation. The pocket watch method can result in up to a 20 degree in error. To get good accuracy you need to have access to a table of the sun's direction. As a wilderness traveler, you probably don't carry this information, otherwise you are a devoted natural navigator.

However, there are times and places where finding direction with a watch will be reasonably correct. The most important things to remember when using this method are:

· Only to be used in latitudes between 40 and 60 degrees north or south of the equator, see the picture to the right. The nearer the Equator you are, the less accurate this method is.

· The most accurate result wills occur at noon on any day.

· Your watch has to be running on accurate local time.

Point the hour hand directly at the sun and then bisect the angle between the hour hand and twelve o'clock. This imaginary line will run north/south. If you are not sure which end of the line is south, remember that the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and is due south at noon for the northern hemisphere.

If you are in the southern hemisphere you instead point the twelve o'clock mark on the watch towards the sun and then bisect the angle between the hour hand and twelve o'clock. Remember, in the southern hemisphere the sun is due north at noon.

Learn celestial navigation, it's vital knowledge for the map and compassless natural navigator.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
That was a bit of a recap of a previous post--however, I feel that it is very important stuff to know.

This method doesn't translate very well to a topo map, but, it is handy to know in case of getting in a tough spot.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
The Moon
The moon is advocated by some references as being suitable for improvised navigation. It is, but only in a similar way to the sun. It is a better "sense of direction" indicator than a reliably accurate direction indicator.

The methods generally described for navigation by the moon are the directions of rise and set; and direction indicated by the phase of the moon. The shadow method used to navigate by the sun can also be adapted.

The moon's orbit is tilted about 5 degrees from the ecliptic (the orbit of the earth around the sun, or more correctly the apparent path of the sun across the sky). This means the rise and set directions for the moon can be up to 28.5 degrees either side of true East/West (compared with 23.5 degrees for the sun). Of course, the error due to latitude is not included in that! (Because of precession, the angle of the moon's orbit to the earth's equator actually changes from about 18.5 degrees to 28.5 degrees over a period of several years).

So, you see the moon is actually a pretty inaccurate indicator of direction.

The one improvised method, that is accurate for navigation by the moon is the shadow stick method. However, as the moon is at its zenith (highest point in the sky) at different times from day to day, it is important to plot the points when the shadow is the same length each side of the zenith. A line from the first point to the second point indicates East. This method is most practical on clear moon lit nights in order to get a distinguishable shadow. The stick used to generate the shadow must be vertical for this method to be valid.

Normally the moon is most useful as a rough "sense of direction" indicator. It rises nominally in the East, and sets roughly in the West. If the moon is following the sun across the sky (ie visible early evening) the illuminated side of the moon is very roughly West. Likewise, if the moon leads the sun across the sky (ie doesn't rise till after sunset), then the illuminated side is roughly East. At least one reference I have seen suggests this navigation by the phase of the moon is accurate, but it is not. It is subject to errors due to the seasons, the inclination of the moon's orbit, and the observer's latitude.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
No two ways about it dark is a task.  you can walk into brush so heavy it can take the stuffing out of you to get thru.  In the day time you'd have gone around.  You can get into dead fall hell.  I have got a 30" inseam and every dead fall in Idaho is at least 34" off the ground.  

If I was lost or real unsure how to find camp, I would considered over nighting it as opposed to tring to bust out in the dark. I go prepared for that case.  The worst part would be that your hunting buddies might be worried enough to start after you.  we all have gps, compass maps and radios.  you likely know the problems with radios and mountain hunting.  

I think the best thing you can do is study your maps, per hunt.  someting I have found helpful in the past is an altimeter, if you don't have your gps to get you altitude.  

LOL - lost is not fun for me.  I know I am going get back to camp, I just may have to waste a lot of hunting/sleeping/eating time to get there.

rusty

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Idaho is a bit rough, I only recently moved here from there. At least there is always something you can use for a landmark----on a LARGE scale!  :bigsmyl:
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©