3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow Arrow Help Please  (Read 373 times)

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
Selfbow Arrow Help Please
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I am going to be at the TN Classic again this year, and I think I may have talked 1 or 2 people into joining me. We will be doing the selfbow challenge, and I foolishly spoke up and said that I would get some arrows for the new shooters.

The problem is that I am not terribly experienced myself, and I do not understand arrows in the slightest.

Here's where I need your help.     :knothead:     haha.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Arrow Help Please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Have you ever made your own arrows?  You could get some little bamboo shafts from homedepot.  Bamboo is supposed to be super tough and forgiving in spine weight.  I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things about it.  If you're looking specifically at wood hickory and ash are tough.  For carbon get some gold tip belms.  I think they're around 40$ a dozen.  They're super tough.  I wouldn't go with aluminum.  Aluminums will bend easily so they're not the best for stump shooting.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Agree with Jesse.
If you would build your own you could save some money by investing your time.
I would build some rough from shafts that I own or equip you with some used from my stockpile fairly reasonable.
Other than that, arrows have become expensive.
If you figure the cost of the shaft, fletching, nocks, stain and sealer, plus cresting, and time involved, buying them already done up is pretty reasonable.
But if you don't have the time, I've got some used fairly cheap, reason being, I just can't quit making arrows.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
making the bow will be the easy part, making a good set of arrows is alot of work.  if you're wanting to make your own, i'd look into using ramin dowels or popular dowels at lowes.  the goldtip blems is a good suggestion.  big jim usually sells some at the classic.  i bought a couple dozen from him there last year and i'll probably buy another set this year.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Hey Chris;
I answered your e-mail. I'd keep checking on the arrows for sale here on tradgang and pick up some 2018 or 2020 aluminum.That would be a good place to start.I'll bring some different spined arrows with me to the classic for you to try. Actually , you can figure out the length arrow you're looking for and post under arrows as wanting to buy. There are some really great people on this site and I'll bet someone has some to sell you cheap to get you started.
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
self bow..self arrow..

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Nice arrows Shawn. (Is that the bird?)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Yeah, thats the bird...But I'm afraid that my post did'nt help much...

:smileystooges:  

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Haha, yeah your post just served to make me realize how much further behind the ball I am Pluck   :D  

Bob, thanks for the reply and the email. See you in a few weeks!

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I'll give the 2018's a whirl. I'm such a bad shot I'm not worried about finding the perfect arrow, just something that won't damage my bow or get destroyed by the first tree I hit.

I earned the nickname of 'The Lumberjack' last year after I hit the same tree on 3 straight shots haha.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
2018's are gonna be VERY stiff for a 45 lb self bow.  I don't think you can leave them long enuf or get a point heavy enuf to make them work.

I'll send a PM.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Generally with selfbows in the 45# range arrows in the 40# range will work well. Gain access to a spine tester and a lot of headaches will be resolved. Sthick with wood-including bamboo.

Offline Coach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I make and shoot alot of selfbows..  Most are between 50-60#.  It always seems that 2016's work with about everything.  You will now need to buy easton 500's if you want to go aluminum and can't find 2016's.. I like wood too but aluminums are so fast and easy to put together and adust pt. wt.  with.  With that weight bow I would cut them 30-31-inches.  (shaft length before inserts).  Have fun!  Coach

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
....you should be able to find river cane in your area
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
For 45lb. selfwood bows, unless you have a long draw, 35-40 ramin dowels make great arrows. I had some 5/16" that shot great, were cheaper than cedar and did not break.  They were eventually all lost.  I  do not remember where I got them from. They were used on a laminated yew bamboo longbow that was 48 at 27", that shot a hard arrow.  The guy even shot a couple of deer with that setup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©