3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First turkey hunt coming up this spring any tips?  (Read 575 times)

Offline Luthersbowshootingdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
First turkey hunt coming up this spring any tips?
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
OK got all the stuff so do you hunt them in the PM or just AM or all times of the day   :help:

Re: First turkey hunt coming up this spring any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
In Texas it is leagal to hunt them all day. My experiences tell me the morning is better (mid-morning being the best) but I have killed birds in the afternoon also. Part of it will be how close to the roosting areas that you are. If you are far from the roosts you will have to figure out what time of day they are moving through your area. If you are close to the roost you will see them morning and evening.

Bisch

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
When you hear a Gobler in the mid morning or afternoon he is looking for a girl friend and pretty easy to call. Some excited cuts and a few yelps will get him going. When you can tell he is coming just quit calling and be patient. He will take his time but will come, sometimes up to a hour before you will see him.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Learn to be still! I can't tell you how many folks I've taken out that don't really understand what it means to sit still.

I always asked each one when approached about taking them out, "Can you sit still?" and they almost always answered  "sure, not a problem!"

There only one or two over the years that I'd go back out with. The others seemed to always be looking for something, eating a snack at the wrong time and place, scratching themselves or just fidgeting.

So in a word, "sit still" move your eyes more than your head. If you need to move something else use your eyes before you move anything else and when you do move, move VERY slowly.

My 2 cents worth.

God bless,Mudd

PS If you can't sit still, use a blind.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
What Mudd said.  And stay in one spot.  Too many people move around.  If the area has been scouted, and you know the birds are close or will be there eventually......SIT STILL!
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline George Metz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Don't move or twitch a muscle!!
"one's belief is not required to validate the truth."

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
I like to set up within 100 yards of the roost. when they start to talk before fly down, don't fall to temptation and start calling hard. a couple of soft tree yelps is all it takes. This big tom came in on silent mode with 2 other toms to that stratgey
Make a life, not a living

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks guys i well will be the only one hunting on this land I have a blind so do  i have to be still LOL LITTLEBIGMAN WOW  that a great looking bird

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Study the shot placement.  You can easily get a pass through on a turkey and the only thing you hit was feathers especially when its struttin.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Here's a couple of tips...

1. Take your shot (if possible) when they are facing away or quartering. Lots more room for slop. Just seems to be more places you can hit a broadside bird that aren't in the cavity.

2. Do some serious research about string trackers and get one. It'll save your butt before very long at all!

3. If hunting from a blind use a decoy(s) and put it very close to the blind... 10 yards or closer.

4. The bigger the broadhead the better. The same rules of sharpness apply as with deer hunting.

5. Forget about penetration limiters.

6. Forget the wind....just hunt!!   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline James Oertel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
sit still and shoot strait !!!  good luck
life is too short,enjoy it !!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
All very good advice...

I'll add...

Low-impact scouting before the season. Do as much as possible. Listen, look, and you'll start to see tendencies.

Don't call to birds before the season starts!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
When you think you have figured it out, they will teach you something.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
I think the best thing You can do is scout and know where the Turkeys want to be. Yes You can call a Turkey to You but You can call them a lot easier if they are going to that field or ridge to start with.

Let's face it Turkey hunting is hard enough with Trad equipment why make it harder. Know which way the birds are going off the roost. Know where that Toms strut zones are.

Know how to call a hen to You, Our season opens April 1st for archery and barring a weather miracle our Turkeys will still be flocked up big time. Pulling hens in sometime will bring those strutters close enough to shoot.

Always try and have a back-up plan. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a hunt go wrong for some unknown reason.

Good Luck

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
1. patience
2. woodsmanship
3. don't call to much. It's fun to hear them gobble but overcalling is a sure way to hang up a bird.
4. go early and stay late. You will hear more gobblin in the first hour or so of daylight but birds that gobble after 10 a.m. are usually very killable
5. you really are not "calling" to a bird but communicating with him. This takes alot of time in the woods and learning from your mistakes.
6. Practice your calling. You don't have to be the best caller to kill turkeys. Use what ever calls you are good at while hunting. If you can't run a diaphram stick to a slate or the ole tried and true box call. Even pushbuttons work to kill birds.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
If you are really looking forward to some good eating, buy and USE A BLIND!!!....Unless you're just out there for a "good time" and don't really care about killing one. Or are very,very dedicated and have a lot of time to hunt.

Not saying it can't be done, but if you like fresh turkey cutlets, use the blind!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Learn the property, and the birds habits.  Start now, though the birds will change some over the course of the season as hens start nesting.  The birds will continue to roost in the same areas, even the same trees not just over the season, but I find over years.  Same with strutting areas.  Around here year after year the turkeys seem to favor the same parts of fields for strutting.  I am already building and freshening ground blinds near areas I have learned birds travel by, or strut in.  And as Guru said, don't call to the birds before season!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Thank you so much i am glassing the feld 1\\4 mile away i will be useing ablind and string tracker and 49# K MAG gt5575 green razorheads i have 3 decoys 2hens 1jake do i need  more?  how  do i put them out? thanks for all your help i need it

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
A question about decoys:

I have two hens and a jake. Suggestions? Use all three? Just the hens? One hen and the jake?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Jason,  I'll try to never give the same group of birds the same look after hunting them.  

I always start the season with just one hen and jake.  Bet I could get away with just a jake though.Add ad hen here and there as I see the need.

The last 4 yrs. I've used a strutting decoy with hen(s)and it's been deadly!  Especially the first week or 2 of the season.....

Just shake it up though, give them different looks...maybe add motion....the new "Killa' B" from Primos with the moveable tail should really "be killa'".

Late in the season something more relaxed, maybe just a couple hens....

Ya really just never know what they may be in the mood for, and how much they've been hunted before(at least around here).

Bet you'll do just fine.....Good luck!
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©