3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what's the biggest animal you've got a pass through on?  (Read 1078 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
what's the biggest animal you've got a pass through on?
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »
okay, so what big beast have you got a pass through on? distance and gear specs too.

i suprised myself a little while ago when i got a pass through on a water buff cow at 20 yards. 69# bob lee recurve with 890gr GT carbons with a scalpel sharp blackstump 2 blade head.

come on, fess up.......  :campfire:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what's the biggest animal you've got a pass through on?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Good post Clint I will be watching this one.

For clarification what do you call a pass through ? 2 holes in the animal or laying on the ground on the other side of the animal? My self a pass through is laying on the ground.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
yep, stuck in the dirt is a pass through. two holes with the arrow still in is just full penetration.

that's just for the sake of this thread.

perhaps also you have shot something tough with a light bow and got a pass through.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
I suppose a big donkey must weigh 200kg? A couple of smaller brumbies of about 150kg. Two or three 70kg to 80kg boars. 78# @ 29" Black Widow PLX, 704 grain carbons with Magnus II 2-bladers; 70# @ 29" Black Widow PLV, 780 grain aluminiums with same broadhead; 83# @ 29" Silvertip, 775 grain wooden arrows and STOS broadheads.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Bull moose. 75# Howatt Hunter, cedar arrow (575-600 grains), 3 blade Bodkin sharpened on a rock... it was a self defense situation.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bahrzoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
I got a full pass through on a Canada Moose in Maine from 38 yards. Never could weight it because it needed to be quarterd to tranport it out of the woods. It was a 51" bull and was guessed to have weighed 800 to 900 pounds. I was shooting a Palmer that was 58 lbs. @ 28 inches and I draw 28.I had a alluminum 2215 arrow with a Steel Force broadhead(150 grains) that the total weight was 540 grains. The arrow passed through the Moose and layed on the bank about 10 to 15 feet beyond where the moose was standing when the arrow hit him.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Last fall was my first year to shoot trad so i only can give example. I killed a 170lb 8 pointer with my 50@30 PSA X full length Heritage 150's with 125 grain montec's.

The shot was 25yds and i was in a ground blind and the arrow was over 5ft past where the deer was standing sticking in the ground.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Bull elk, 53# @27", carbon arrow, woodsman bh, 525 gr, 27-28 yd shot.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Legend longbow(Jim Johnson bowyer) 64" 56@28 drawn to about 26 3/4" shooting 500+ grain POC tipped with 145 grain 2 blade Bear Greenie.

The target was an adult male American White-Tailed Deer that we guesstimated to weigh about 120 lbs.

I wish the video that's in my head was transferable to a different media. I'd love to share it with other bowhunters as it was the 1st time for a bunch of things.

1st buck taken with Traditional bow.
1st buck taken from the ground.
1st deer shot without the aid of any type of camo.
1st and only deer I ever had to shoot up at.

I was in a sinkhole surrounded with one or two large trees and several smaller trees. The deer trail was just outside the trees(I mean right up against). I could have touched this buck as he walked by me. He must have caught something out of his peripheral vision when I lifted up my bow because he jumped and turned broadside. There was a small sapling covering the hair that I knew was there that I would be wanted to put that all white fletched POC. He was trying to figure out what spooked him with a couple of bobs of his head then a stomp or two. Then his fatal mistake, he took one step forward and I watched everything in what looked like slow motion. It was absolutely beautiful! The white fletches disappeared into the brown hair and almost instantly the arrow appeared in the air on his offside. It hung in the air momentarily, then slowly dropped straight down to the ground coming to rest on top of the leaves that carpeted the ground in these Ozark woods. An area so special to me, a place I had hunted for years... public ground in 3 Creeks State Forrest. Just a 15 minute drive from my house.

I love it!! Memories are a wonderful gift God allows us to have.

Thank you for allowing me to relive one of my favorites!
God bless,Mudd

PS I guess I did a little more than try to answer your quirey. I hope it doesn't put you off. Please forgive me if it did.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
well I have not been hunting long enough to have a "complete passthrough", but my first and only trad whitetail kill.  Was a pass through.  Now it suprises me, but then it was not.  Thank god the deer was quartering away.  I was shooting a 300 grain arrow with a 100 grain broadhead out of a 40# recurve!!!  It was almost a complete pass through, went completely through the first side, and was almost the entire way out the other, about 3/4ths the way out, almost to the fletching.  Double lungs but since it was quartering away I nicked the corner of the liver, didnt need a blood trail but if I did . . . We definatly had a good one!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Bull elk 58# Black Widow 2216 arrow, Zwickey Eskimo 125 gr. broadhead, shot at 20yds pass thru and stuck in a tree,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Rodney Wright

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Bull Moose Quebec Canada,67#@27 Firehawk Longbow Yellow birch arrow.Magnus 2 blade vented,640 gr
20 yards.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »

Eland bull in Namibia. 81# Black Widow PLX, 650 grain carbon and Woodsman head.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
woodland caribou Newfoundland 27 yard shot, 51 lb longbow magnus two blade cedar shaft
Make a life, not a living

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
We had a herford cow on our farm when I was a kid. She had a nack for grabbing stuff out of your hand thinking it was food. That day she grabbed one of my kids style cedar arrows and bit the nock end off the arrow. A couple of days later we found the nock in a fresh pile near the feed bin. I'd say thats the best pass through, I've seen.  :D  

As far as game(deer). I had an arrow pass through the rear quarter on a quartering shot and exit on the far shoulder blade and stick in the ground. 52 pounds 520 grain arrow 30 yards.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
john thats almost as funny as prestons moose story lol  :biglaugh:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Denny beat me to it Eland bull in SA.74# Bighorn Recurve 720 gr easton xx75 w/ a 125 gr magnus II,slightly front loaded w a combo of steel & brass(these were home made to fit.) The arrow in the photo was an insurance shot in the shoulder blade(MISS)from 35ish yds.The bull died with his head hung up in some mopane scrub and my PH had me shoot a second arrow that is pictured(first arrow did the job)The 2'nd arrow did however penatrate 17" thru the scapula I think you can see blood stain on the shaft.I gave the passthru shaft to the head tracker, he said it had good MUTI.
Jeff Couture

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Small Newfoundland bull moose in 1997.

60# longbow, 700-800 grain birch arrow, and 190 Ribtek from 15 yards.  Hit high in the ribcage because that was my only hole thru the limbs.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Cow Moose - 65# Recurve, 2020 XX75, Snuffer
Bull Moose - 55# Recurve, 2020 XX75, Woodsman
Cow Moose - 55# Recurve, Patriot Carbons, Woodsman
Cow Moose - 58# Longbow, Patriot Carbons, Woodsman
First Cow was quartering away, hit behind the ribs and came out behind opposite shoulder. The rest were broadside thru the chest.

Those Eland are cool! Definitely at the top of my list if I ever make it over there. I love shooting big critters. Always amazes me what a bow and arrow can do!
Good Post Clint!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Whitetail is the biggest we have in Jersey
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©