3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Habu's carbon limbs?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Habu's carbon limbs?
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Anyone w/ any info?

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Habu's carbon limbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
talked to chris and they're pretty awesome.  got one on order, bocote icon series.

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »
I have a set of carbon limbs on order for the VyperKahn I got from Centaurshooter. It's going to be a long wait... about 18 months. 3 color camo. Chris says they feel better when drawing and are a little faster. It is a great shooting bow with the standard limbs, the best bow I have ever had. Jim

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
My Vyperkahn with carbon longbow limbs is due to me this month. I will post pics and let you know how they are. I have talked with Chris quite a bit about these limbs. What kind of info are you looking for?

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
If he has filled any orders?

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Mine is due to me in July.  Don't know about filled orders.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
I don't know if he has. You know the guy seems really booked up and you have to wait a year, you would think there are some guys out there that would respond to the few Habu threads that get started. I have yet to get much info out of people from any trad forum on anything that has to do with the Habu bows. The Habu guys must be a very quiet bunch. You post something about a Morrison and they just flock to the post, lots of guys giving info. Wonder what the diff is?

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowhnter7:
Wonder what the diff is?
Chris simply doesn't build as many bows. There are more Morrison bows built, therefore more guys to talk about them.

I love the grip on the Habu Death adder it is one of the best out there in my opinion. I've owned 3 previously and all were well built. My only complaints are his very limited choice of wood and his advertised performance is certainly "optimistic", at least with the 3 I owned and the others I've shot. Never shot the Vyperkahn, maybe its different.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
I've got one of the first double carbons he built this year (I think it's the second or third set) using his new technique and it's simply an incredible shooting bow. There are some pictures posted of it on this sight if you do a search for Habu bows.

Regarding the speeds, I believe the speeds Chris has posted on his website are AMO type speeds which I believe means the bow was machine shot at 30" draw, with a release, no silencers, no nock set and so on. This will generally give around 10 FPS more speed than most guys will shoot with a bow set up for hunting with fingers, silencers, etc.

For comparison I bought and sold an ACS CX that shot no where near the ~210 FPS that was reported in Norm Mullaney's report but it was still mighty fast and was at that time the fastest traditional bow I had shot. In my hands, this new Habu compares very favorably to the ACS CX I owned and may be a little faster when both bows are set up similar. Since I don't own the ACS anymore I don't know for sure plus my testing obviously isn't scientific, I'm just reporting my results (one from a year ago for the ACS and one from last month for the Habu) and many things could have changed, so take it for what it's worth.

The bow is good enough I'm thinking of ordering another one so I have two carbon Habus to take on my next Africa trip.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
There we go now were getting a few remarks.

I though Chris told me once he made about 70 to 80 bows a year? I know there are more Morrisons made but there still should be some guys talking about these great bows. From all the hype it just seems like a guy should here some more about them. Once mine comes this month I will deffinatly be posting what I think about it.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I shot mine with fingers but devoid of anything else at 27 and extrapolated back up according to my experience with other bows of published amo ratings...still couldn't get close to his performance. Despite the speed differences, I'd order a Death adder if he would build them with different wood and accent choices. He made some zebra wood models years ago that were real stunners...no longer sadly. I guess he's got enough business so he doesn't want to change his formula.

70-80/year? I had no idea he made that many...must be a bunch of those guys out there not on the internet then.

Scott, does the carbon have an unusual "harmonic" to it? I've had a couple of other carbon bows and all of them had a "ring" that resonated much louder than other limb materials I've had experience with. I'd be curious to know if he's found a way to resolve that.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
JC,

The Habu's carbon limbs sound similar to the Adcock I owned if my memory of that bow serves me correctly. I believe the Habu is a bit quiter which may be a result of the fact that Chris is putting a very thin limb veneer over the carbon and that may dampen the sound some. I haven't shot my Death Adder back to back with the Vyperkahn w/carbon and compared the two but I'd guess the carbon is slightly louder than the Death Adder and a touch quiter than the Adcock.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Habu's are some of the best out there.  I've owned 4.  2 vyperkahns, a Death Adder and a TD Recurve.  I've also owned 2 Black Widows and 1 Blacktail.  Hands down the TD recurve was the smoothest bow I've ever owned, I never should have sold it.

The first VK I owned was so good I had to order a new one.  after I put my order in, I found another used one and bought it.  The DA was the quietest bow I've shot.  It was an older model and I didn't like the grip as much, so I sold it.

I've found the Habu to be a great bow.  It shoots hard and fast.  I can't wait for mine to get here.  I have a Brackenbury Non-typical and Adcock ACS on order as well.  I'll be bow poor in no time.  Oh yeah, I have a 35# set of limbs on order for my wife.  I was going to buy something a little less costly, but she knows quality and wanted to shoot what I was shooting.
Jeff

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 02:02:00 AM »
As far as the speed stuff is concerned, Tilzbow is totally right...a clean, and or dynamic (flight shooter's) release can easily give you 5-10 fps more...

...and that would put the old Habu in the Acs/Cx...Black Swan...Centaur...Border...class...easily...

Personally, I think Chris's prices and wait time, plus his aesthetics...which remind me of J.K. Chastain and his Wapiti bows...are what keep these bows off the boards...

Same thing with the Wapiti bows...I'll guarantee you the bamboo limbed Wapiti's are within 10 fps of the Acs Cx...but you don't hear nearly as much about these bows...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Oh no,
I've had the Wapiti w/ boo and carbon and the Habu outperformed it at 3lbs less draw weight.The build quality isn't even close of the 2.Yes, Chris isn't very flexible w/ wood selsections but what he dose offer is simply amazing.
Bow7,
Usaully by now a Widow owner has posted the old knockoff response so we more knowledged Habu owners care not to post.No disrespected to Widiow shooters but there is alot of differences in the 2 bows.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
I bought a Black Widow as my first trad bow.  It was great.  Very smooth and hard hitting.  I bought my first Habu used.  They may look similar, but many differences exist.  When I was first looking at them online, I sort of thought the same thing.  Once I got my VK, I realized it was something different.  Widows are great bows and I'd buy another if the right one came along, but to me a Habu is up there with the Blacktail as a work of art.  I know pretty doesn't put meat in the freezer, but If I can have an esthetically pleasing bow and one that shoots with the best, let me at it.

Let's just be honest, Chris is inflexible when it comes to woods and options.  However, it's his passion and I have to respect that.  (Still wish I could get my VKL with ebony riser and Bocote limbs).
Jeff

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
I've got a recurve that I will never sell.  I believe it's a 2003 or something like that.  The new ones are probably even better.  Anyway, I've owned a million other bows too, but that Habu recurve is normally my go-to bow.  I will probably be ordering one of the new ones with carbon.  My only complaint about Habu is the wait time.  But I believe they are one of the best bows out there.

Offline RLG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Can you put the carbon limbs on the old style riser. How does that work. Thanks Ryan
RLG

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Only available w/ Vyperkahn for now.

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cutty47:

Personally, I think Chris's prices and wait time, plus his aesthetics...which remind me of J.K. Chastain and his Wapiti bows...are what keep these bows off the boards...
Same thing with the Wapiti bows...I'll guarantee you the bamboo limbed Wapiti's are within 10 fps of the Acs Cx...but you don't hear nearly as much about these bows...
No way! The Chastain's are not even close in my book. He is here in Colorado and I have seen and shot his bows and they aren't even close to performance or looks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©