3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Hog watch  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
NY Hog watch
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Did anyone spot any wild hogs while hunting in NY this past season?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Hog watch
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
I hunted NY for many years, mainly middleton, rosco, LI and never saw any... Wish they did......

Did you see any?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
hogs?  in ny?  in the northeast?  WHERE????  that would be AWESOME!!!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Some guys I know went over to the Cortland/Homer area and saw sign but no hogs.  Apparently several escaped from a farm over there.

There were 2 different pigs spotted at my gun club last year.  I didn't see them and don't know if they were wild or escaped domestics of some kind.  The club is in Chenango County.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.  Just want to do my part to solve the problem...  :bigsmyl:
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I had some hogs on my property this past fall they rooted around and moved to the next farm.  Local farmer says they eat her corn as fast as they planted it last spring.   I hope to try and bait some in when the snow goes away.   DEC wants them gone because of damage they do. Two were hit by cars last year 1/4 mile down the road.  All black and Russian looking.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by maxwell:
I had some hogs on my property this past fall they rooted around and moved to the next farm.  Local farmer says they eat her corn as fast as they planted it last spring.   I hope to try and bait some in when the snow goes away.   DEC wants them gone because of damage they do. Two were hit by cars last year 1/4 mile down the road.  All black and Russian looking.
wow ...... !

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Did you guys see the "season information" in the NYS hunting booklet?

Seems to me that they wouldnt put that in there unless there were issues...

And no Jim....none spotted down here yet.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I read some reports last year of a few that were shot. Same as Maxwell said, they were all black ones.

I kind of want them to come, but all I hear is bad from people that have them in their areas. haha

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
my sincere apologies to farmers and home garden growers ...

BRING ON THE PIGS!  :thumbsup:

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I know the farmers here make short work of any loose hogs---they are a true nuisance critter that can root up a whole field in no time at all.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
No question some are running loose in n.y. and it seems like only a matter of time before a lot of us have 'em in our areas.They're nuisance alright but might as well make the best of it and make some pork.Bring 'em on!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Woods without pig sign seem empty to me....RC

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Hey Bill,
          There is a store over in sempronius that has hunting pics up on a bulletin board from last year and this year.Supposedly some of them were taken from the area that I hunt.  They are definately here. Weather or not it's good or bad remains to be seen.  I do know from talking to some of the local farmers that they aren't too happy about it. They dammage an awful lot of crops and crop land in short order!
I reckon so

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
A buddy of mine shot one in Cortland two years ago with his wheelie bow. He had pictures of them on his trail camera on and off, one big one two litle ones. He shot the larger one. Have'nt seen any pictures of them since. Jim drove around your area today must have seen 200 deer and 50 turkeys !
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Yep, they are here in the Northeast.  Last year the PA Game Commission Director signed an executive order allowing hunters to kill them.  I personally haven't seen one or know anybody who has.

I've never hunted them anywhere, and although it looks like a lot of fun, I'd really hate to see them become well established in the Northeast like they are down South with all the habitat damage they can do.  If I ever do see one, I'll definitely be launching a broadhead (or round ball from my muzzleloader) it's way.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
... I've never hunted them anywhere, and although it looks like a lot of fun, I'd really hate to see them become well established in the Northeast like they are down South with all the habitat damage they can do.  ...
hogs are a blast to hunt - for me, way better than deer and pork just tastes better to me than venison.

i can't see hogs being more established up here than down south - if they do, they'd probably be lots more tougher and ornery 'cause of the harsh winter survival factor.  just a guess.  bad news for farmers!  good news for trad bowhunters!

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
They say they can have a few litters of piglets a year with 8 to 12 in each one.And from what I here they eat like crazy,acorns,apples,crops,you name it.I sometimes think it would be fun to have some other big animal to hunt in western N.Y.,but not if they will overun the deer and cause havoc on the land.People that have them say,you don't want them around.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
They have 3 litters in two years.They may have 10-12 but probably only 3-6 survive to 20 pounds. They eat acorns and crops But in woods full of crabapples down here I`ve never seen a pig eat an apple.Oranges yes.In really big remote areas they can get hold and not be killed out but in areas like farm land, rural wood lots..etc you can kill them to the last one with dogs.
   More fun to hunt than deer for me and they taste better as well if you leave the rank boars out.

Our swamps down here got lots of hogs and they stay in the swamp. Up in middle Ga. Where the blocks of timber are smaller they are really rough on the farmer.They are survivers. I`ve seen pigs in pine country down here with zero oaks or farm land be butterball fat...and sassy.RC

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
All right now can someone push the a bit to the east in NY so I can get a shot at one.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©