3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Hog watch  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Hog watch
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Most all the pigs that are in and around Homer are on private property - DEC is asking all land owners not to give permission out to hunt their lands . Because the hunting pressure will just push them all over hell and then that wouldn't be good for eradication efforts . I've heard that people from all over are coming to the area to try and find them - a real problem -because of the fact that they are holding up on posted property . Time will tell - not a good thing -just another evasive species to deal with .
Paul

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
I know a guy that saw four in the same year a few miles from me, I have never seen one but I'm hoping to some day. I think pork would go good with some venison   :thumbsup:  I know the DEC wants them gone but I'm hoping they stick around, maybe a little pig action will open up some hunting grounds.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
I know a guy that saw four in the same year a few miles from me, I have never seen one but I'm hoping to some day. I think pork would go good with some venison    :thumbsup:   I know the DEC wants them gone but I'm hoping they stick around, maybe a little pig action will open up some hunting grounds.
+1  :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline woodsman 365

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
How much cold weather can pigs handle?

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
One of the old local guys here in mid Maine told me a story (not sure if its true) about some Black Russian Boars that were imported here to a private hunting “sanctuary”      :(      by some rich old European in the early 1900’s.  Seems he wanted to bring some of the animals he hunted in “the old country” over.   He died, the place went to hell, but the hogs still have to be around.  Probably just an “rural myth”[/i], but I am always looking for sign. None yet.

As for hogs and cold, I am not sure?  The Russians seem to handle the cold well in the native land?  I am thinking that is the deep snow, more than the cold that would hurt them?

If anyone has seen them or seen sign in Maine. I’d be interested to hear.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
No hogs in NY is fine with me!! They are a pest and do more harm than good to our habitat!! If ya want to hunt hogs, head south 10-12 hours, it is cheap and they can keep them!! I hope we never get an established population here in NY!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
You guys should watch "Pig Bomb" on one of the discovery or NG channels. It has a lot of info regarding pigs-their breeding potential, history of introduction, and future range. It also shows a lot of "fluff" and "fill", but a lot of good info IMO...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
No hogs in NY is fine with me!! They are a pest and do more harm than good to our habitat!! If ya want to hunt hogs, head south 10-12 hours, it is cheap and they can keep them!! I hope we never get an established population here in NY!! Shawn
:thumbsup:  What he said.  If the DEC thought they were a good thing, we wouldn't be allowed to kill them day or night by just about any means necessary, with a small game license.  Believe me, I'm no DEC cheerleader, but hogs will annihilate turkey/deer habitat.  Hunting is mediocre in many parts of this state already and adding a prolific breeding invasive is NOT a positive thing.  Sure I'd like to hunt them, but to eradicate only.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Wether you're for 'em or against 'em, it's up to the pigs.   :readit:  Good luck hunting!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Like silver and bighead carp in the Mississippi River drainage; just because they are fun to shoot doesn't mean they are good to have around.  Invasive/feral species sometimes seem to be a good idea at first, but always turn out to be a disaster.

The only good wild pig is a dead one.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Like every other invasive species, if there here they are here to stay so you might better enjoy them.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
if they were here i would hunt them however i REALLY WOULD HATE to see them move in! could they survive the winters here? i here constantly of how much damage they can do. i just could not see them surviving in the mountains where i hunt.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Hey maybe our New York Mountain Lions will love a slab of pork.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
my sincere apologies to farmers and home garden growers ...

BRING ON THE PIGS!   :thumbsup:  
Be real careful what you wish for.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I feel the same way about pigs in IL, and Rick's comment about carp mirrors my thoughts on the matter. As much as I like bowfishing, I'd just as soon prefer that those things never invaded our waterways.

I love hunting pigs, but I'm glad they're not here.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Man...I wish. I saw the piece in the hunting license guide about feral swine always being in season in NY and that there are no limits but that's the first i even heard of them being in NY. I would love to hunt them.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
No...its up to people, VTer.

They can control themselves and NOT release pigs into the wild.

If you do not have a 10 or 11 month growing season, you CANNOT afford to have pigs.

They will absolutely destroy your habitat. NY and surrounds cannot recover from them in the short 5 or six month growing season you have up there, once they get a toehold.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
i dunno HOW a *serious* pig population could thrive in the nor'east.  this environment is *nothing" like the carolinas, georgia or florida.  they'd hafta be sum kinda super pigs, and if so, THAT would be really Really scary.  i can just see the call out for the national guard to protect the farmlands.      "[dntthnk]"     let's get serious.

so, yeah man - bring 'em on! (tongue planted firmly in cheek)   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
If someone saw one in the wild in Westchester, it would make headlines in the Post!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Rob,

They thrive in Russia in country with 20+ feet of snow and below zero temps for months at a time.

They will destroy a car if you hit one. Remember the natural law that says the farther north a specie lives, the larger it gets. Your hogs would by necessity need to be a lot bigger than ours to survive- and survive they will...even if you have an all out war against them...you won't win.

They'll live off your farmers and destroy their farmland...they'll go totally nocturnal and come after homeowner's yards, big wetlands that are your bread and butter duck lands will be destroyed- in short, pigs are your worst nightmare.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©